Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 27 cents a mile

Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a
mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

Won't be doing much home repairing, if I have to go for parts.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:59:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a

mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

Won't be doing much home repairing, if I have to go for parts.

Christopher A. Young

I'd rather pay the 27 cents as opposed to carrying all my tools and supplies for a mile on foot.
Learn more about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a
mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

Won't be doing much home repairing, if I have to go for parts.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

My truck gets 9 mpg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing
prices.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pavel314" wrote in message
On Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:59:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a

I'd rather pay the 27 cents as opposed to carrying all my tools and supplies
for a mile on foot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

4.03, actually.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 19:58:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a
mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

$4.859 a gallon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's got to hurt.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pat" wrote in message

My truck gets 9 mpg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 4:59*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
*Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a
mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

Won't be doing much home repairing, if I have to go for parts.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Isn't it deductible as a business expense? If so the allowance is
somewhere up around the mid 40s.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a
mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

Won't be doing much home repairing, if I have to go for parts.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Don't you have a bicycle to get the parts??? ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's an idea. I wonder if I can get a Chinese coolie, with a bicycle
cart? I'll check the Harbor Freight web site.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

Don't you have a bicycle to get the parts??? ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 4:24*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing
prices.

9mpg???!!
Get a properly designed truck instead of American ****,
Or even a diesel engined one.
That's the sort of mileage you get from a truck that carries 16 tons
in Europe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:19:17 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:24*am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote: As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing prices. 9mpg???!! Get a properly designed truck instead of American ****, Or even a diesel engined one. That's the sort of mileage you get from a truck that carries 16 tons in Europe.

I have a 2008 F-150 with a V-6 and automatic trans that gets around 14, but I rarely carry heavy loads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 23:24:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing
prices.

Or eating the loss (lower profits).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 23:24:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

4.03, actually.

$.27 X 18 = $4.86. $4.03 = $.23/mile.

Move. I paid $3.399 Saturday, though it's somewhat more expensive here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

.. .
wrote:

Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a
mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

$4.859 a gallon?

My thoughts exactly. ($#$%'^ top poster)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Oct 8, 4:24 am, "Stormin wrote:

As with every business, the only options include driving less, or
rasing prices.

9mpg???!! Get a properly designed truck instead of
American ****, Or even a diesel engined one. That's the sort of
mileage you get from a truck that carries 16 tons in Europe.

I have a 2008 F-150 with a V-6 and automatic trans that gets around
14, but I rarely carry heavy loads.

Harry as usual has no clew...

'98 Chebby 2500 4x4 8-ft 5.3L gets 15-18 on hard roads; the '99 1500 SB
2WD does better but it's just the 5.0L, too...

What goes for a PU over there generally is a toy over here...and, of
course, absolute mileage numbers any more are affected on the mpg basis
by the percentage of ethanol owing to the lower Btu content/unit volume.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing
prices.

9mpg???!!

Who said 9 mph? The op said 18 mpg. I get between 17 and 19 mpg on my 97
Nissan 4x4 pickup with a 2.4 liter 4 cyl and 5 speed tranny. Most of my
driving is either going up a grade or back down.
In Delaware, I'd probably get 30 mpg. :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:19:17 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:
9mpg???!!
Get a properly designed truck instead of American ****,
Or even a diesel engined one.
That's the sort of mileage you get from a truck that carries 16 tons
in Europe.

Yeah, but a gallon is also ~20% larger in the UK.

9MPG in London is 7.5MPG in New York.

This is all because some toolbag way back when bought 40 gallon wine casks instead of 50 gallon water barrels for the trip across the ocean to the new world. They forgot that they were wine casks, and divided by 50 when figuring out how big a gallon was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Will you be voting against the $5.00 gasoline president we now have? The
one who used executive order to prevent drilling for oil?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pavel314" wrote in message news:1180ab1e-7599-436b-be20-

I have a 2008 F-150 with a V-6 and automatic trans that gets around 14, but
I rarely carry heavy loads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Will you be voting against the $5.00 gasoline president we now have?
The one who used executive order to prevent drilling for oil?

You mean the one under which US oil production is the highest since 1997?

The one that determined that Deep drilling had to be looked at before another
huge spill?

As if any of this has anything to do with GLOBAL oil prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 11:24*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
4.03, actually.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote:
Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a
mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

$4.859 a gallon?

How do you get 27 cents a mile at $4.03 per gallon?

4.03 / 18 = .22388
Posted to alt.home.repair

I took the price I paid, divided by the trip odometer. $30.85 / 114 = .2706

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Oct 7, 11:24 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
4.03, actually.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote:
Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents
mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!

$4.859 a gallon?

How do you get 27 cents a mile at $4.03 per gallon?

4.03 / 18 = .22388

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing
prices.

9mpg???!!

Who said 9 mph? The op said 18 mpg.

Pat in message ID:
nnvilleaccesscompany

said he gets 9 mph

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing
prices.

The 2012 tax deduction is $055.5, or keep your receipts. Charity deduction
is $0.14 per mile, medical & moving deductions are $0.23 per mile.

If you don't like to pay to drive, quit driving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing
prices.

9mpg???!!

Who said 9 mph? The op said 18 mpg.

Pat in message ID:
nnvilleaccesscompany

said he gets 9 mph

Must take him a long time to get anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I determined the 18 MPG by keeping track of fuel and miles, for several fill
ups, after I got the vehicle.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

But seriously, which number is correct?

At $4.03 per, and $30.85 total, that's 7.655 gallons

114 miles divided by 7.655 gallons is 14.89 MPG.

You said you get 18 MPG. How did you determine that number?

Posted to alt.home.repair

From what I've heard, the O folks won't let us drill, the environmentalists
won't let us open refineries, and the various regulations make production
more complicated. Like this ethanol loser stuff. That's all regulation and
government interference.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Hell Toupee" wrote in message

So the reason gas prices are so high has nothing to do with politics.
It has to do with the companies wanting to maximize profits. That's a
good thing, right, Stormy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2012 1:40 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

So the reason gas prices are so high has nothing to do with politics. It
has to do with the companies wanting to maximize profits. That's a good
thing, right, Stormy? So folks: stop bitching. You should be praising
the energy magnates for being smart enough to maximize their profits.
And you should be happy to pay more for your gasoline, and watch your
domestically-produced oil being refined and exported to China and India,
because it means higher prices for you and higher profits for the
companies, and that's what capitalism is all about. The system _works_,
people. Maybe not for you, but for the corporations, and that's what
counts.

Horse hockey.

Just read this about CA problem:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloom...to-3928844.php

I also hear that you cannot import gasoline across state lines in CA.

Continue to blame the nasty corporations on the nations route to $10/gal
gasoline.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I determined the 18 MPG by keeping track of fuel and miles, for several fill
ups, after I got the vehicle.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

But seriously, which number is correct?

At $4.03 per, and $30.85 total, that's 7.655 gallons

114 miles divided by 7.655 gallons is 14.89 MPG.

You said you get 18 MPG. How did you determine that number?

You do see the problem here, right? Let's go over all the figures one
more time.

You told us that you determined that it cost you 0.27 per mile based on 18
MPG, which works out to $4.85 per gallon.

Then you told us the gas was actually only $4.03 per gallon.

Then you told us that it cost you $30.85, which at $4.03 per gallon means
you bought 7.655 gallons.

You also said you drove 114 miles.

114 / 7.655 is 14.89 MPG, not 18 MPG.

So if it really does cost you $0.27 per mile, then you are not getting 18
MPG. Maybe you got 18 MPG when the truck was new (or new to you) or maybe
you weren't towing a boat or maybe the truck is having problems now, but
bottom line is your numbers don't work out to 18 MPG based on everything
else you've told us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a problem only with the cost of fuel.
If you want to create any more problems for
me, I don't appreciate it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

You do see the problem here, right? Let's go over all the figures one
more time.

You told us that you determined that it cost you 0.27 per mile based on 18
MPG, which works out to $4.85 per gallon.

Then you told us the gas was actually only $4.03 per gallon.

Then you told us that it cost you $30.85, which at $4.03 per gallon means
you bought 7.655 gallons.

You also said you drove 114 miles.

114 / 7.655 is 14.89 MPG, not 18 MPG.

So if it really does cost you $0.27 per mile, then you are not getting 18
MPG. Maybe you got 18 MPG when the truck was new (or new to you) or maybe
you weren't towing a boat or maybe the truck is having problems now, but
bottom line is your numbers don't work out to 18 MPG based on everything
else you've told us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing
prices.

9mpg???!!

Who said 9 mph? The op said 18 mpg.

Pat in message ID:
eaccesscompany

said he gets 9 mph

No, said he "My truck gets 9 mpg."

I think he was saying " Don't feel so bad, my cost per mile is twice
what yours is for the same price per gallon."

He may be pulling a 53' trailer too. He did not say what he drives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote

Isn't it deductible as a business expense? If so the allowance is
somewhere up around the mid 40s.

Of course it is. If he's worried about the cost of gasoline he's not
charging enough for his service. I don't think it's feasible to be a
handyman and not charge less than $50 an hour to provide the service. But
so many people try to "out-McDonald's" the competition by charging lower and
lower rates. All you get from that kind of charging is obnoxious,
ungrateful customers who aren't worth dealing with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote

9mpg???!!
Get a properly designed truck instead of American ****,
Or even a diesel engined one.

There are plenty of American vehicles that get better mpg than that. Even a
Ford Aerostar gets at least 18mph highway, and usually more. And those
minivans are built to LAST.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 5:53*pm, "
wrote:
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 06:51:17 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:19:17 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:24*am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote: As with every business, the only options include driving less, or rasing prices. 9mpg???!! Get a properly designed truck instead of American ****, Or even a diesel engined one. That's the sort of mileage you get from a truck that carries 16 tons in Europe.

I have a 2008 F-150 with a V-6 and automatic trans that gets around 14, but I rarely carry heavy loads.

My 2001 Ranger with a V-6 (4l) and automatic w/4WD gets around 15 on a good
day, in the summer (maybe 12 in a Vermont Winter - another reason to leave
NE). It's an exceedingly rare even that I carry a heavy load far enough to get
a handle on the gas mileage. *I've pulled a U-Haul several times but that's
not really the same thing.

Sounds more like a good reason to get rid of your Ranger.
Only Nancy boys drive automatics.
There are European cars do 70 mpg
Limos do 40mpg these days.
You're living in the past in America.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 6:41*pm, Hell Toupee wrote:
On 10/8/2012 11:39 AM, Frank wrote:

So the reason gas prices are so high has nothing to do with politics.
It has to do with the companies wanting to maximize profits. That's a
good thing, right, Stormy? So folks: stop bitching. You should be
praising the energy magnates for being smart enough to maximize their
profits. And you should be happy to pay more for your gasoline, and
watch your domestically-produced oil being refined and exported to
China and India, because it means higher prices for you and higher
profits for the companies, and that's what capitalism is all about.
The system _works_, people. Maybe not for you, but for the
corporations, and that's what counts.

Some forms of crude oil may be unsuitable for local refineries.
Refineries in the UK are suited to Middle East oil. The oil from the
North sea is/was sent elsewhere. All due to the sulphur content.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 4:27*am, "David Kaye" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote

Isn't it deductible as a business expense? *If so the allowance is
somewhere up around the mid 40s.

Of course it is. *If he's worried about the cost of gasoline he's not
charging enough for his service. *I don't think it's feasible to be a
handyman and not charge less than $50 an hour to provide the service. *But
so many people try to "out-McDonald's" the competition by charging lower and
lower rates. *All you get from that kind of charging is obnoxious,
ungrateful customers who aren't worth dealing with.

I thought that was what capitalism was about? Dog eat dog?
The way for ward is to be more efficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 4:29*am, "David Kaye" wrote:
"harry" wrote

9mpg???!!
Get a properly designed truck instead of American ****,
Or even a diesel engined one.

There are plenty of American vehicles that get better mpg than that. *Even a
Ford Aerostar gets at least 18mph highway, and usually more. *And those
minivans are built to LAST.

I never hard of it but looked it up.
I see the diesel engined model was cancelled as was manual
transmission II wonder why?
But interesting gas guzzling options retained. Four litre petrol
engines, all wheel drive.
Mind boggling on a working vehicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Aerostar
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 23:29:54 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

There are plenty of American vehicles that get better mpg than that. *Even a
Ford Aerostar gets at least 18mph highway, and usually more. *And those
minivans are built to LAST.

I never hard of it but looked it up.
I see the diesel engined model was cancelled as was manual
transmission II wonder why?
But interesting gas guzzling options retained. Four litre petrol
engines, all wheel drive.
Mind boggling on a working vehicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Aerostar

Many auto makers are dropping manual transmissions. Automatics today
are just as efficient and there is little demand for stick shift. Last
manual I owned was over 35 years ago.

Many cars today have an "Eco" mode that programs the tranny for lower
shift points and better MPG. Given the race to meet the required
CAFE, they'd offer stick to get the mileage down if they could.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you mean the Anti-Bush people. Conservatives are generally correct,
when they identify problems.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Harry K" wrote in message

You must remember that to the anti-O people _everything_ is his
fault. Even that recent snowstorm was caused by him personally.
I am also no fan of his but this constant O O O! Is asinine.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I think you mean the Anti-Bush people. Conservatives are generally
correct, when they identify problems.

LOL! You've got to be kidding me!

Everything you say is projection. Accusing others of your own faults. It's hard
to believe you actaully believe this crap.

http://www.badrepublicans.com/conser...ays-wrong.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There are plenty of American vehicles that get better mpg than that. Even a
Ford Aerostar gets at least 18mph highway, and usually more. And those
minivans are built to LAST.

I never hard of it but looked it up.
I see the diesel engined model was cancelled as was manual
transmission II wonder why?
But interesting gas guzzling options retained. Four litre petrol
engines, all wheel drive.
Mind boggling on a working vehicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Aerostar

Many auto makers are dropping manual transmissions. Automatics today
are just as efficient and there is little demand for stick shift. Last
manual I owned was over 35 years ago.

I still want a manual tranny. I want to be the one who decides when to
shift gears, besides, I don't want my left leg to become atrophied from
lack of use. :-)