Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whole house surge protectors

gregz wrote:
Trying to get free replacement, for some reason didn't qualify. I
order new unit, which had upgrade rating to 150000 amps. Good to go.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/13...urge_Protector

Interesting. Title says 150,000 amps. Max surge current in the specs is 100,000
amps

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 5:45*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
gregz wrote:
Trying to get free replacement, for some reason didn't qualify. I
order new unit, which had upgrade rating to 150000 amps. Good to go.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/13...urge_Protector

Interesting. Title says 150,000 amps. Max surge current in the specs is 100,000
amps

And also factor in many manufacturers count each protection mode
seperately to arrive at that number, eg if it uses MOVS rated at 20KA
and there is one from L1 to ground, one from L2 to ground, one L1 to
L2, that makes it a 60KA rated device. Meaning that 100KA one is
likely really 33.3KA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:
gregz wrote:
Trying to get free replacement, for some reason didn't qualify. I
order new unit, which had upgrade rating to 150000 amps. Good to go.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/13...urge_Protector

Interesting. Title says 150,000 amps. Max surge current in the specs is 100,000
amps

It also shows that on the granger site. I think what happened, the earlier
model was superseded with the 150k unit, but they got the data sheet wrong
or not updated.
I had the lesser rated unit, and it blew. These things are warranted, so
keep all records.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 12:33:17 -0400, micky
wrote:

What if your electric service is underground? There are still surges
induced from lighning hitting trees, right? Etc?

My phone service is on poles until 400 or 500 feet from my house,
where it goes underground, but I don't know where the electric does.
,

Couple of years ago, I got his with a surge from lightning. I have no
idea where the actual strike was, but. . .

I have a detached garage. On the outside of the garage away from the
house I have a two lamp spotlight mounted under the eave. There was a
hole in the downspout that runs by it . Inside, the wire to the light
plugs into a receptacle. I found pieces of the plug and receptacle
five feet away from the box in the garage. One of the circuit
breakers in the house on that buss was fried as well as my TV,
receiver, and doorbell that are on that circuit.

The good news is, I was able to replace all the electrical parts for
about $15. The better news is, the next night I had a new 47" flat
screen HD TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Years ago, there a loud crack nearby. Didn't notice anything until next
day, my telephone modem would not work. After that I installed mov's on
tele line.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:49:19 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:33*pm, micky wrote:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 15:44:42 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

And the far more common occurence for any
protector is that it will likely see a lot more of the Case A
type surges, because direct or near direct hits
are rare. *A direct hit can't even really reach the
surge protector. *If it hit the service near where it
enters the house, typically a lot of the energy is
going to go elsewhere, via arcing, leaving only
part of the strike for the surge protector to deal with.

What if your electric service is underground? * There are still surges
induced from lighning hitting trees, right? * * Etc?

Thanks Trader, Gfret, and Ed.,

In cases where the service runs mostly underground
the profile for the possible lightning hits and magnitude
would be substantially different I would think. If there
is no utility pole and wires running down the street, no
overhead service cable to the house, the targets for
lightning are greatly reduced. At my house, all that is
available is a transformer sitting on the ground that
serves a few houses.

Oh, yeah, there is one of those two, 8 townhouses away (the other end
of this building). It's only 2 feet high. Failed once on July 4th
weekend, 29 years ago, but from overuse. Water heater and water
failed the same weekend, when I had 3 guests from out of town.

Lightning could hit that, but it
would be less likely than it hitting exposed overhead
wires. And if it did, I would bet that a lot less than the
10K that Bud referenced would make it to the house
via the service wires.

Lightning can of course hit the house itself. In which
case, all bets are off. If it hits say the chimney, it could

Since I have two metal chimneys, I thought it would be rather easy to
ground one of them (although just now I realize I'd have to ground
both of them, since the grounded one would stop attracting lightning.)

But I called some national Lighning Hotline number and he kept saying
if I didn't live in Florida, I didn't have much of a problem. Huh?
But then I got busy with other things. .

take various paths and there would seem to be a low
probability that the surge protector at the panel would
do much good.

That makes sense.

If the lightning made it's way to AC
circuits in the house, the surge protector might help,
but if the strike is at one end of the house, gets to
circuits there, it's a long ground path back to the
surge protector at the panel and hence I would not
expect it to do much good.

Even a nearby lightning strike to say a tree could have
effects by raising the ground potential near the house,
etc. But I think realistically, the most frequent kind of
surge is one that winds up coming in on the service
conductors. And with underground service, IMO that
is probably at least an order of magnitude less likely.
At least for big surges, the kind that would make it to
the house if the utility wires close to the house were
hit. You could still see more modest surges that make
it to the house from an exposed utility getting hit blocks
away, etc.

After about 15 years, my burglar alarm keypad/control panel was
smoking a little one day, and failed, and might have been damaged by a
surge, I guess (even though I had connected it correctly to a 5 foot
earth rod) , but so far nothing else.

I bought a double-D surge supprrssor but haven't installed it yet.

My phone service is on poles until 400 or 500 feet from my house,
where it goes underground, *but I don't know where the electric does.
,

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I understand things, lightning seeks earth
ground. By grounding your chimney, you
make it an easier path, and therefore more
likely to be hit.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"micky" wrote in message

Since I have two metal chimneys, I thought it would be rather easy to
ground one of them (although just now I realize I'd have to ground
both of them, since the grounded one would stop attracting lightning.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Grounding something will not make it stop attracting lightning.
Lightning is seeking a path to ground. By grounding a chimney
you are providing a safer path. Hopefully if lightning strikes the
chimney, most or all of the energy will follow the ground wire
you have provided. But, it all depends. The more sharp turns,
the longer the wire, etc, the more likely some of the lightning
could choose to go another way too.

But I called some national Lighning Hotline number and he kept saying
if I didn't live in Florida, I didn't have much of a problem. *Huh?
But then I got busy with other things. .

FL is certainly a very high activity area, possibly the highest
in the USA. But it's all relative. Just because you live somewhere
with 25% of that activity doesn't mean you can't be hit too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Aren't lightning rods grounded?

I thought it was the build-up of a positive charge on some high point
that attracted the lightning, and the ground let the positive charge
be neutralized from spare electrons in the earth. Hence the lightning
wouldn't strike. ??

But I called some national Lighning Hotline number and he kept saying
if I didn't live in Florida, I didn't have much of a problem. *Huh?
But then I got busy with other things. .

FL is certainly a very high activity area, possibly the highest
in the USA. But it's all relative. Just because you live somewhere
with 25% of that activity doesn't mean you can't be hit too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There are writings to that effect if you look. I don't think they know
everything about lightning yet.

Greg

But I called some national Lighning Hotline number and he kept saying
if I didn't live in Florida, I didn't have much of a problem. Huh?
But then I got busy with other things. .

FL is certainly a very high activity area, possibly the highest
in the USA. But it's all relative. Just because you live somewhere
with 25% of that activity doesn't mean you can't be hit too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

with 25% of that activity doesn't mean you can't be hit too.- Hide quoted text -

I think what Micky may be referring to are some of the systems
that claim to reduce lightning strikes through various
means. Whether any of that has been actually proven to
work, I don't know. But I think these systems are more
than the typical lightning rods that have
been installed on buildings for hundreds of years.
The purpose of those conventional systems, as
gfretw states is to provide a safe path
for lightning if it does strike. And my guess would be that
if one looked at two identical buildings, one with and one
without lightning rods, the one with might have somewhat
more strikes, because it has a mighty fine ground point
high up in the air. Hence a bolt that might have instead
gone to a nearby tree, winds up hitting the rod. So, you
could have more strikes, but no damage, because
the system conducts the energy to the earth. Whether
any studies have been done on that, IDK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

As I remember, there are 2 companies with other technologies than simple
rods.

One presumably is more 'attractive' to lightning so you need fewer
protection points.

The other allegedly discharges the cloud.

There are some good reasons the second approach will not work.

NASA tried one and it just worked like a conventional lightning rod.

One of the copmanies sued the NFPA (over NFPA780, the installation
standard, or it might be UL). The lightning company lost the case.

Far as I know, the magic rods are not recognized by the industry.

There is disagreement over whether a sharp rod point is better than a
dull one. The research that has been done shows little, if any,
difference - with something like a 1/2" radius being slightly preferred.

(All that is from memory.)

Lightning rods are now called air terminals.

I agree with gfretwell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 10:48*am, bud-- wrote:
On 10/11/2012 7:04 AM, wrote:

*wrote:

[...]

I think the concept with the "discharge the cloud" approach is
that you put up a whole lot of lightning rods over the area to
be protected. That is supposed to then provide a path for
current flow between the cloud and ground that in turn lowers
the potential difference. The obvious question is how much
current can actually flow compared to the enormous capacity
of the cloud? During a lightning strike you have an ionized
path which provides good conductivity. And there is obviously
a huge amount of energy to discharge. With just lightning
rods and no actual strike to provide ionization my bet is that
any discharge is going to be negligible and hence the
rods would just serve as a lot of conventional rods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:

[...]

There was a similar conflict in the 18th century, shortly after Ben Franklin
invented the lightening rod. The conflict arose over whether churches should
install them.

The controversy arose as follows: Even IF lighting rods worked, it would be
clearly against God's will to install one. Churches in most of America,
because of their steeples and bell-towers, were often the tallest buildings
in the community and the prime target for a bolt from the grey. Here's how
the controversy resolved itself:

The churches WITHOUT lightning rods eventually all burnt to the ground and
the congregations had to move to churches who WERE defying God's will (or
Thor's).

Whole house surge protectors Jack Home Repair 9 November 3rd 09 04:46 PM
what is the differences between whole house surge protectors? Gary Home Repair 76 March 15th 09 08:30 AM
Surge Protectors DD UK diy 40 April 13th 07 04:40 PM
surge protectors karsan Home Repair 34 June 15th 06 02:05 AM
Surge Protectors twfsa Home Repair 15 December 29th 05 07:27 PM