Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Husqvarna 455R question

Anyone have one and can report on their likes/dislikes with it? I have a
345, and really love it. But, today, we were logging, and had a
"situation".

It has a 16" bar, something I would never ever buy again, but at the time,
adequate to our needs. I outgrew it, basically.

I cut a hinge with four cuts, and had to cut it from two sides, instead of
just doing two cuts like I could have with a 20". When I went to cut the
back, the hinge was off enough that the tree twisted, jamming the saw in
there.

So, I had to get a second short saw, and finish the back cut, which was
enough to get it to fall, and release the first saw. Luckily, neither saw
was hurt, but the tree, twisted and fell where it wasn't supposed to, on my
escape route. I got out okay, and no saws hurt, but it's time for a bigger
saw.

I really like my Husky, and a friend of mine has two Stihls, and an old
Husky. For the last two days, he had nothing but problems with the Stihls,
but the Husky did fine. It had a 16" bar, which is why he used the 18"
Stihls first.

I've seen 455, 455e, 455r, and there are possibly others. What's the
difference?

Like to hear what you know on Huskys.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
[...]

I am always tightening chain. I forget what model and size I have, but the
labels do slide off. Always start fast, but I need to watch more on gas
storage.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Anyone have one and can report on their likes/dislikes with it? I have a
345, and really love it. But, today, we were logging, and had a
"situation".

Hi,
One thing I can tell, when I go out to Vancouver Island,
there are loggers every where. I see lots of Husky or Jonsered
chain saws, almost nothing else.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 26, 10:10*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

snip

Hi,
One thing I can tell, when I go out to Vancouver Island,
there are loggers every where. I see lots of Husky or Jonsered
chain saws, almost nothing else.

Hopefully, not just because they're cheaper.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:42:30 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

One thing I can tell, when I go out to Vancouver Island,
there are loggers every where. I see lots of Husky or Jonsered
chain saws, almost nothing else.

Hopefully, not just because they're cheaper.

I would ask a Lumber Jill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

Anyone have one and can report on their likes/dislikes with it? I have a
345, and really love it. But, today, we were logging, and had a
"situation".

The best repairman here recommended against Husqvarnas because
he said all the Canadian models now come from the same factory in
Toronto, but are differently badged (Poulan, Husky, Craftsman, and so on.)
He now buys only German-made chainsaws. I have tried those three
Canadian brands and now use a 14" Stihl (which seems to do more
than 18" models of cheaper lines, faster too.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message

Anyone have one and can report on their likes/dislikes with it? I have a
345, and really love it. But, today, we were logging, and had a
"situation".

The best repairman here recommended against Husqvarnas because
he said all the Canadian models now come from the same factory in
Toronto, but are differently badged (Poulan, Husky, Craftsman, and so on.)
He now buys only German-made chainsaws. I have tried those three
Canadian brands and now use a 14" Stihl (which seems to do more
than 18" models of cheaper lines, faster too.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

My friend took his Stihl to our local Ace because he was having some
problems since buying at a Stihl dealer. He took it back to the dealer, and
the dealer said it had a six day guarantee.

My friend took it to this Ace manager who is very knowledgeable about these
saws and told him that he was having problems, and about the six day
guarantee. The manager said if you use Stihl oil, there is a four year
guarantee. If you don't use Stihl oil, two years. They are supposed to run
the saw for two to four minutes, and adjust the jets. They are supposed to
give you rudimentary safety training, none of which this shop did.

My friend is going to make one last request for his money back, and then we
will merely picket the shop, and inform the master corporation of our
intention to picket, just in case they can help, or perhaps want to pull
their dealership for violations of standard procedures.

A 14" baby chain saw would have been useless on the kind of logging we were
doing. The tree hinging situation would have been much worse. There was
down deadwood we were taking that was 18" in diameter. Nothing like spiral
cutting it with a 14" saw. The two huskies ran all day long for three days
now. We went out again today where they have bulldozed an orchard. The
Stihl ran only intermittently for the past two days, and not at all today.

I think I'll stick with the klunky Huskies. And I'm ready for a 20" bar.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message My friend took
it to this Ace manager who is very knowledgeable about these saws and told
him that he was having problems, and about the six day guarantee. The
manager said if you use Stihl oil, there is a four year guarantee. If you
don't use Stihl oil, two years. They are supposed to run the saw for two
to four minutes, and adjust the jets. They are supposed to give you
rudimentary safety training, none of which this shop did.

Current Stihl consumer warranty is 1 year, or 2 years if you buy a 6-pack of
Stihl 2-stroke oil at time of saw purchase

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...ited-warranty/

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...uble-warranty/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SRN" wrote in message

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message My friend took
it to this Ace manager who is very knowledgeable about these saws and
told him that he was having problems, and about the six day guarantee.
The manager said if you use Stihl oil, there is a four year guarantee.
If you don't use Stihl oil, two years. They are supposed to run the saw
for two to four minutes, and adjust the jets. They are supposed to give
you rudimentary safety training, none of which this shop did.

Current Stihl consumer warranty is 1 year, or 2 years if you buy a 6-pack
of Stihl 2-stroke oil at time of saw purchase

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...ited-warranty/

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...uble-warranty/

Would you agree that is considerably longer than six days the dealer
offered?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

"SRN" wrote in message

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message My friend took
it to this Ace manager who is very knowledgeable about these saws and
told him that he was having problems, and about the six day guarantee.
The manager said if you use Stihl oil, there is a four year guarantee.
If you don't use Stihl oil, two years. They are supposed to run the saw
for two to four minutes, and adjust the jets. They are supposed to give
you rudimentary safety training, none of which this shop did.

Current Stihl consumer warranty is 1 year, or 2 years if you buy a 6-pack
of Stihl 2-stroke oil at time of saw purchase

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...ited-warranty/

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...uble-warranty/

Would you agree that is considerably longer than six days the dealer
offered?

Of course, and the warranty is good nation-wide at any Stihl dealer with a
dated receipt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SRN" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

"SRN" wrote in message

[...]

I was relating information given to me by my friend. He's 70. So, I got
the two and four year info wrong. But we went out there with our total of
134 years, and cut six cords of wood, and hauled them to the trailer, loaded
them, got them home, and will now split them. Will try to go again before
the weather shuts us down.

Steve

Husqvarna warranty, what does it mean? Frank[_9_] Home Repair 3 March 13th 08 10:26 AM
Husqvarna YTH 150 Govener Cue Home Ownership 0 April 30th 07 06:01 PM
Husqvarna - 55 Rancher Jon Home Repair 2 March 26th 07 05:44 PM
Husqvarna Chain Saw TT Woodturning 4 June 2nd 04 03:41 PM
Husqvarna chainsaw Grandpa Woodworking 17 August 24th 03 04:53 AM