Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wifi network names

I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Sep 24, 2:02*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. *Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. *One of them was "neighbors suck"

I was sitting in my home office one day and check wifi's. One was
"FBI surveillance van". Now why would they advertise that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/12 3:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

Actually those weren't passwords but rather were the names of the
residents' networks-- SSIDs if you're a technical sort.

--
You can observe a lot just by watching.
---Yogi Berra
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2012 2:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

SSIDs, actually - the names of wireless networks. There are lists of
funny network names floating around. "WeCanHearYouHavingSex" is one of
my favorites, as is "RIAA Legal Department".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rlz" wrote in message
On Sep 24, 2:02 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

I was sitting in my home office one day and check wifi's. One was
"FBI surveillance van". Now why would they advertise that.

Its called a joke. If I have to explain it its not funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:37:34 -0500, Hell Toupee
wrote:

On 9/24/2012 2:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

SSIDs, actually - the names of wireless networks. There are lists of
funny network names floating around. "WeCanHearYouHavingSex" is one of
my favorites, as is "RIAA Legal Department".

OK, I'll bite. What is "RIAA?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/24/2012 2:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

SSIDs, actually - the names of wireless networks. There are lists of
funny network names floating around. "WeCanHearYouHavingSex" is one of
my favorites, as is "RIAA Legal Department".

OK, I'll bite. What is "RIAA?"

This must be it:

http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.p...line_ the_law
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Hell Toupee wrote:

On 9/24/2012 2:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

SSIDs, actually - the names of wireless networks. There are lists of
funny network names floating around. "WeCanHearYouHavingSex" is one of
my favorites, as is "RIAA Legal Department".

Or FBI Surveillance Van
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2012 3:19 PM, rlz wrote:
On Sep 24, 2:02 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

I was sitting in my home office one day and check wifi's. One was
"FBI surveillance van". Now why would they advertise that.

Years ago when I toyed with Script Kiddies trying to get into my system,
my computer name, the one that shows up on any network was
"NSA STRIKE TEAM". When I service networks and hook my service laptop
to a network and work with remote tech support, my laptop shows up on
the network as "Laptop From Hell" so there's no mistake which port of
a switch or router I'm hooked to. I also use some pretty horrid names
for my own WiFi AP's. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/24/2012 2:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

SSIDs, actually - the names of wireless networks. There are lists of
funny network names floating around. "WeCanHearYouHavingSex" is one of
my favorites, as is "RIAA Legal Department".

OK, I'll bite. What is "RIAA?"

The crazy people who sue little kids and or their families for illegally
downloading copyrighted music/movies. The lawsuits and rewards are for
insane amounts of money or they threaten a lawsuit to extort a
settlement. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/12 04:35 pm, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

Actually those weren't passwords but rather were the names of the
residents' networks-- SSIDs if you're a technical sort.

Why do people broadcast their SSIDs? If I know who you are and think
that you have a legitimate need to access my network via WiFi, I'll tell
you what the SSID is -- or I'll enter the information on your computer
for you.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:29:09 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 09/24/12 04:35 pm, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

Actually those weren't passwords but rather were the names of the
residents' networks-- SSIDs if you're a technical sort.

Why do people broadcast their SSIDs?

So my laptop can find the router automatically when I get home.

If I know who you are and think
that you have a legitimate need to access my network via WiFi, I'll tell
you what the SSID is -- or I'll enter the information on your computer
for you.

Why bother hiding it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:08:33 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

OK, I'll bite. What is "RIAA?"

The crazy people who sue little kids and or their families for illegally
downloading copyrighted music/movies. The lawsuits and rewards are for
insane amounts of money or they threaten a lawsuit to extort a
settlement. O_o

TDD

Oh. Just to be clear, by "little kids and their families" you really
mean snot-nosed thieves and their miscreant parents, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 09/24/12 04:35 pm, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

Actually those weren't passwords but rather were the names of the
residents' networks-- SSIDs if you're a technical sort.

Why do people broadcast their SSIDs? If I know who you are and think that
you have a legitimate need to access my network via WiFi, I'll tell you
what the SSID is -- or I'll enter the information on your computer for you.

Perce

My SSID is broadcasted. The password is not. If you can figure out my
extremely strong password, feel free to use my WiFi.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, I'll bite. What is "RIAA?"

The crazy people who sue little kids and or their families for illegally
downloading copyrighted music/movies. The lawsuits and rewards are for
insane amounts of money or they threaten a lawsuit to extort a
settlement. O_o

TDD

Oh. Just to be clear, by "little kids and their families" you really
mean snot-nosed thieves and their miscreant parents, right?

Quite often, the parent has no idea that the kid is pirating music or
their WiFi network isn't password protected and someone outside of their
home has been using their network. I have directional high gain antennas
and I can access open networks all over the neighborhood. Luckily, I'm
not a Juvenal Delinquent who downloads music from pirate sites and I
respect private property. I have been known to notify folks of security
issues as a good neighbor which is much appreciated by neighbors who
will look out for me as a way to return the favor. When they offer me
money for helping them with anything, I decline saying "You're my
neighbor and I may need your help someday." Help the little old lady
down the street and she'll call you if she sees someone snooping around
your property. As far as kids doing illegal downloading of anything, the
kid may not even know it's wrong and good parents want to know what
their offspring is up to. Folks are a bit more computer savvy than they
used to be but there are still gaps in their knowledge which the kid can
and will take advantage of if the parent doesn't keep an eye on them. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:12:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote in
Re Wifi network names:

I have directional high gain antennas

How well do these work? Can you recommend one for a laptop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, I'll bite. What is "RIAA?"

The crazy people who sue little kids and or their families for illegally
downloading copyrighted music/movies. The lawsuits and rewards are for
insane amounts of money or they threaten a lawsuit to extort a
settlement. O_o

TDD

Oh. Just to be clear, by "little kids and their families" you really
mean snot-nosed thieves and their miscreant parents, right?

Actually not so much. They are more likely to go after the 'low
hanging fruit' that will get headlines without incurring a lot of
legal costs.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2012 4:52 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:12:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote in
Re Wifi network names:

I have directional high gain antennas

How well do these work? Can you recommend one for a laptop?

The problem with a laptop is how to connect the antenna without opening
up the laptop to screw around with its internal WiFi adapter. You can
get a USB WiFi adapter that has an antenna connector. I had a PC card
type for my old Dell laptop that had the connector and I now have one
that is USB. I have a Hawking HiGain Directional Corner Antenna that
I've owned for some years that is compact and can sit on a desk or other
location within reach so I can aim it. I had it sitting on top of my
desktop computer when I lived next door to my late friend GB and shared
Internet access with him. I was able to get a good signal through
several walls of the two houses using an internal adapter that had a
RP-SMA external antenna jack. I have a pile of different equipment for
all sorts of situations so I'll list a few links to what may work for
you and your laptop. You may be able to use an adapter with a
directional "panel" antenna that I've found to work well in many
situations. Here are some links to the type of gear that may work for
you. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HiGain.../dp/B0000DIET2

http://tinyurl.com/cyshzur

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NH...ef=pd_sim_e_36

http://tinyurl.com/c95fklj

A problem with the higher power USB adapters and a laptop can be battery
drain so there are many choices to consider for mobile use.
If you are only interested in stationary use on your desk, it shouldn't
be a problem since you can plug a power supply into your house power.
Another consideration is whether or not the USB port on your laptop can
supply enough power for the higher power adapters, again, house power
and a wall wart takes care of that. If you are interested in mobile use
or "Wardriving" to ferret out connections in your exploration of your
environment you can get a lot of tips and information from Wardriving
websites. ^_^

https://personaltelco.net/wiki/WarDriving

http://www.wikihow.com/War-Drive

http://www.wardriving.com/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/24/2012 2:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

SSIDs, actually - the names of wireless networks. There are lists of
funny network names floating around. "WeCanHearYouHavingSex" is one of
my favorites, as is "RIAA Legal Department".

OK, I'll bite. What is "RIAA?"

The crazy people who sue little kids and or their families for illegally
downloading copyrighted music/movies. The lawsuits and rewards are for
insane amounts of money or they threaten a lawsuit to extort a
settlement. O_o

TDD

Imagine that, trying to protect the intellectual property rights of the
lawful copyright holders and the companies that have millions of dollars
invested and at risk. Crazy indeed!

--
You can observe a lot just by watching.
---Yogi Berra
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/12 09:38 am, George wrote:

Why do people broadcast their SSIDs?

So my laptop can find the router automatically when I get home.

My laptop knows both my SSID and my password: it connects automatically.

If I know who you are and think
that you have a legitimate need to access my network via WiFi, I'll
tell
you what the SSID is -- or I'll enter the information on your computer
for you.

Why bother hiding it?

Because if nobody knows my WiFi network exists, how are they going to
try breaking into it?

Perce

The don't broadcast your SSID idea is just nonsense that keeps on
showing up in the various "computer expert" articles who are paid by the
word.

It certainly doesn't make your network invisible and just causes issues
for nearby wireless users.

I think that some "sniffing" programs may be able to tell that my WiFi
network exists, but if the SSID is unknown, that's another hurdle for
somebody to deal with if s/he wants to try to break into my network or
simply freeload on my Internet connection.

What issues does an invisible (or SSID unknown) network cause for other
wireless users?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cliff H" wrote in message

"rlz" wrote in message
On Sep 24, 2:02 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

I was sitting in my home office one day and check wifi's. One was
"FBI surveillance van". Now why would they advertise that.

Its called a joke. If I have to explain it its not funny.

I saw the same thing, "FBI survellance van", painted on a white van parked
along the street. The lettering was professionally done on all sides
including reverse lettering on the hood. Cute.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 09/24/12 04:35 pm, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part
of the track goes behind some Apartment building.

There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

Actually those weren't passwords but rather were the names of the
residents' networks-- SSIDs if you're a technical sort.

Why do people broadcast their SSIDs? If I know who you are and think that
you have a legitimate need to access my network via WiFi, I'll tell you
what the SSID is -- or I'll enter the information on your computer for
you.

Perce

One reason is that if your Wi-Fi is provided by U-Verse from AT&T, one of
the router types that they use will reset to broadcasting the SSID after a
power failure. So, it's a nuisance to change it to a no-broadcast setting.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 03:43:29 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

My SSID is broadcasted. The password is not. If you can figure out my
extremely strong password, feel free to use my WiFi.

Mine too. You have to have the router serial number to connect to my
WiFi network. Then you have to add one other number to make 12 verses
the 11 digit serial number. (includes letters & numbers)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:06:09 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Because if nobody knows my WiFi network exists, how are they going to
try breaking into it?

Perce

They find the WiFi using a "sniffer". The sniffer can be a key fob,
software, laptop hardware and yes, even a T-shirt (shoes are in
prototype)

Sniffers are not illegal.

T-shirt:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/991e/

[...iPod Touch, look no further for a wifi sniffer. From the main
menu, tap on the Settings icon, then tap the Wi-Fi icon and it will
open the Wi-Fi Networks control panel, which polls the airwaves and
displays any wireless signals found.]

Read mo http://askbobrankin.com/wifi_sniffer...#ixzz27Ux4fkbV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:48:07 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

What issues does an invisible (or SSID unknown) network cause for other
wireless users?

A tad longer to connect, perhaps some lag time..

Is you router set for strong encryption?

"If your router supports WPA (or WPA/PSK) use that instead of WEP,
which is an older technology"

Read mo http://askbobrankin.com/hide_your_ss...#ixzz27V64bIZv
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What issues does an invisible (or SSID unknown) network cause for other
wireless users?

A tad longer to connect, perhaps some lag time..

Is you router set for strong encryption?

"If your router supports WPA (or WPA/PSK) use that instead of WEP,
which is an older technology"

Read mo http://askbobrankin.com/hide_your_ss...#ixzz27V64bIZv

Seems like WPA plus a strong password would handle just about anything
except perhaps a hacker army. The installer who set up my router recently
also told me to use passwords with a space or two in them which apparently
makes them much harder to figure out.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My SSID is broadcasted. The password is not. If you can figure out my
extremely strong password, feel free to use my WiFi.

Mine too. You have to have the router serial number to connect to my
WiFi network. Then you have to add one other number to make 12 verses
the 11 digit serial number. (includes letters & numbers)

In addition to the keys, you also have to have the MAC from one of my
computers to access the network. The encryption keys are the real strength,
though. Security by obscurity, isn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:10:05 -0400, "Tomsic" wrote:

The installer who set up my router recently
also told me to use passwords with a space or two in them which apparently
makes them much harder to figure out.

I like the way my router works. The password is the router serial
number and one number added in the correct location.

A drive-by sniffer needs to have physical access to learn that number.
Chances are he would be shot trying to get it.

Of course the ISP already has the number...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 07:04:28 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote in
Re Wifi network names:

On 9/25/2012 4:52 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:12:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote in
Re Wifi network names:

I have directional high gain antennas

How well do these work? Can you recommend one for a laptop?

The problem with a laptop is how to connect the antenna without opening
up the laptop to screw around with its internal WiFi adapter.

snip

Thanks very much for the very detailed and informative reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What issues does an invisible (or SSID unknown) network cause for other
wireless users?

A tad longer to connect, perhaps some lag time..

Is you router set for strong encryption?

"If your router supports WPA (or WPA/PSK) use that instead of WEP,
which is an older technology"

Read mo http://askbobrankin.com/hide_your_ss...#ixzz27V64bIZv

Seems like WPA plus a strong password would handle just about anything
except perhaps a hacker army. The installer who set up my router recently
also told me to use passwords with a space or two in them which apparently
makes them much harder to figure out.

I use lines of poetry, including capitals, accents and punctuation
You need to know the poet, poem and language to figure it out.

Easy to memorize and very hard to break.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/12 02:45 pm, Oren wrote:

My SSID is broadcasted. The password is not. If you can figure out my
extremely strong password, feel free to use my WiFi.

Mine too. You have to have the router serial number to connect to my
WiFi network. Then you have to add one other number to make 12 verses
the 11 digit serial number. (includes letters& numbers)

In addition to the keys, you also have to have the MAC from one of my
computers to access the network. The encryption keys are the real strength,
though. Security by obscurity, isn't.

I have WPA2 encryption in addition to not broadcasting the SSID. I'm not
relying on obscurity alone.

However, I will research further the issue about which I have just read
-- that if I have my laptop set to connect even if the SSID is not being
broadcast it will keep sending that SSID when I am out of range of my
network.

I'm now confused. The router sends the beacon (SSID) and the laptop
network interface looks for the beacon, not send one.

Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed to me that the site where I read
this was saying that if the laptop is set to connect to a network even
when the SSID is not being broadcast, then the laptop in effect keeps
sending "Perce's Network, are you there?" until it gets an answer.

If you mean the laptop tries to connect to you router forty miles
away, then change the configuration in Networking. Connect to closest
network or something like that.

I'm sure there are other settings I can use.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:38:41 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

I'm now confused. The router sends the beacon (SSID) and the laptop
network interface looks for the beacon, not send one.

Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed to me that the site where I read
this was saying that if the laptop is set to connect to a network even
when the SSID is not being broadcast, then the laptop in effect keeps
sending "Perce's Network, are you there?" until it gets an answer.

Don't confuse a router beacon with a searching network device.

Not the same method for connecting.

One sends and one looks...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2012 2:26 PM, Atila Iskander wrote:

wrote:

What issues does an invisible (or SSID unknown) network cause for other
wireless users?

A tad longer to connect, perhaps some lag time..

Is you router set for strong encryption?

"If your router supports WPA (or WPA/PSK) use that instead of WEP,
which is an older technology"

Read mo http://askbobrankin.com/hide_your_ss...#ixzz27V64bIZv

Seems like WPA plus a strong password would handle just about anything
except perhaps a hacker army. The installer who set up my router
recently also told me to use passwords with a space or two in them
which apparently makes them much harder to figure out.

I use lines of poetry, including capitals, accents and punctuation
You need to know the poet, poem and language to figure it out.

Easy to memorize and very hard to break.

I use Fractured Fairytales like "Mary had a little lamb who's fleece was
black as coal and everywhere that Mary went, the lamb would shout, HEY
YO!" ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/2012 02:08 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:10:05 -0400, "Tomsic" wrote:

The installer who set up my router recently
also told me to use passwords with a space or two in them which apparently
makes them much harder to figure out.

I like the way my router works. The password is the router serial
number and one number added in the correct location.

A drive-by sniffer needs to have physical access to learn that number.
Chances are he would be shot trying to get it.

Of course the ISP already has the number...

That's one reason for not getting a router from your ISP.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"When science and the Bible differ, science has obviously misinterpreted
its data." [Henry Morris, Head of Institute for Creation Research]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/12 03:57 pm, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:15:46 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 09/25/12 02:10 pm,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

My SSID is broadcasted. The password is not. If you can figure out my
extremely strong password, feel free to use my WiFi.

Mine too. You have to have the router serial number to connect to my
WiFi network. Then you have to add one other number to make 12 verses
the 11 digit serial number. (includes letters& numbers)

In addition to the keys, you also have to have the MAC from one of my
computers to access the network. The encryption keys are the real strength,
though. Security by obscurity, isn't.

I have WPA2 encryption in addition to not broadcasting the SSID. I'm not
relying on obscurity alone.

Your obscurity isn't doing a damned thing except, perhaps, to make you feel
good.

However, I will research further the issue about which I have just read
-- that if I have my laptop set to connect even if the SSID is not being
broadcast it will keep sending that SSID when I am out of range of my
network.

Rather silly. If I have ten locations set in my laptop, do I really want it
sending all of them continuously? Very silly.

I have only one permanent WiFi connection set on my laptop, but I can
see that if one had a bunch of them it wouldn't be so good.

Here is the piece I had read -- at

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653...y-more-secure/

"When you hide your wireless SSID on the router side of things, what
actually happens behind the scenes is that your laptop or mobile device
is going to start pinging over the air to try and find your router—no
matter where you are. So you’re sitting there at the neighborhood coffee
shop, and your laptop or iPhone is telling anybody with a network
scanner that you’ve got a hidden network at your house or job."

Perce