Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wifi tv outputs

Are there any Wi-Fi TVs with output that I can then send to another
TV?

In the models I"ve looked at, the only outputs are optical and
IR-blaster, , and I suspecit they can't be converted to something my
other TVs can use

My friend bought a new thin tv with Wi-Fil, so she can watch Hulu etc.
from the Web on the TV,, and I'm jealous.

But I'm not sure anyone makes what I would want. She only watches
one tv, but I have one in almost every room, once supplied by the VCR
and now by the the DVDR, via coaxial cable (with a couple signal amps
where needed). .

Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

But I'm not sure anyone makes what I would want. She only watches
one tv, but I have one in almost every room, once supplied by the VCR
and now by the the DVDR, via coaxial cable (with a couple signal amps
where needed). .

That was so long ago...........

I purchased a box called a "Western Digital Live", which has an ethernet
port and two USB ports on it. It has composite (for old TV's) and an HDMI
(for new ones) outputs and will do 1080P.

You can use the USB ports for a WiFi dongle, a USB keyboard, or a hard disk.
It supports one dongle and one keyboard, or one of them and single disk, or
two disks.

It reads some things from the Internet, but in my case it reads files from
a SAMBA share from a Linux computer. Windows, MacOS, etc also have compatible
sharing.

Here in Israel they are called "streamers" and there are at least a dozen of
them on the market. They run around $200, but I expect they are close to
half that in the US, if you are there.

Think of them as a version 2 Apple TV with a lousy interface, but a lot
more capability. :-)

Be aware that a 1080P video uses well over 4 gigabytes an hour, so if your
network is heavily used, or there is a lot of competition for Wifi channel
throughput, it may not work well wireless.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 14:14:03 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

micky wrote:

But I'm not sure anyone makes what I would want. She only watches
one tv, but I have one in almost every room, once supplied by the VCR
and now by the the DVDR, via coaxial cable (with a couple signal amps
where needed). .

Thanks for your help.

That was so long ago...........

I purchased a box called a "Western Digital Live", which has an ethernet
port and two USB ports on it. It has composite (for old TV's) and an HDMI
(for new ones) outputs and will do 1080P.

You can use the USB ports for a WiFi dongle, a USB keyboard, or a hard disk.
It supports one dongle and one keyboard, or one of them and single disk, or
two disks.

It reads some things from the Internet, but in my case it reads files from
a SAMBA share from a Linux computer. Windows, MacOS, etc also have compatible
sharing.

I don't understand. This is an enhanced way to watch tv off the net,
right, but it doesn't really have anything to do with my buying a
wifi tv??? The input for the WDLive would be my current computer,
not the TV, iiuc

Here in Israel they are called "streamers" and there are at least a dozen of
them on the market. They run around $200, but I expect they are close to
half that in the US, if you are there.

Yes, things are cheaper in the US. Electronics made in Japan are
cheaper in the US than in Japan. Sometimes it doesnt' seem fair.

Think of them as a version 2 Apple TV with a lousy interface, but a lot
more capability. :-)

Be aware that a 1080P video uses well over 4 gigabytes an hour, so if your
network is heavily used, or there is a lot of competition for Wifi channel
throughput, it may not work well wireless.

When I'm watching tv, I'm not likely to be using wifi for anything
else, certainly nothing that I couldn't postpone.

Geoff.

sinking only outputs Karl Townsend Metalworking 27 January 18th 10 12:06 PM
Radiator Outputs Toby UK diy 11 October 5th 08 04:29 PM
joining two audio outputs, is this OK? orange Electronics Repair 4 August 4th 06 12:46 AM
Why does two channels of ADC give different outputs? Jerry Avins Electronics 10 December 12th 05 06:56 AM
Connecting Headphones to RCA OUTPUTS? Anthony Cerrato Electronics 4 April 10th 04 06:18 PM