Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Open WiFi network....

House is raided by SWAT after getting police threats from the IP
number.

"Whoops! Those anonymous Internet threats came from up the block."

"...Officers break the screen door and a window, tossing a flashbang
into the house—which you can see explode in the video. A second
flashbang gets tossed in for good measure a moment later. SWAT enters
the house."

Story: (video linked in story)

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/06/swat-team-throws-flashbangs-raids-wrong-home-due-to-open-wifi-network/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:32:35 -0700, Oren wrote:

House is raided by SWAT after getting police threats from the IP
number.

"Whoops! Those anonymous Internet threats came from up the block."

"...Officers break the screen door and a window, tossing a flashbang
into the house—which you can see explode in the video. A second
flashbang gets tossed in for good measure a moment later. SWAT enters
the house."

Story: (video linked in story)

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/06/swat-team-throws-flashbangs-raids-wrong-home-due-to-open-wifi-network/

I know a couple of people that have open wi-fi and think it is OK.
They don't care if anyone uses it gratis. Maybe this will change
their minds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I know a couple of people that have open wi-fi and think it is OK.
They don't care if anyone uses it gratis. Maybe this will change
their minds.

My son visited me a couple of years ago. I had a wifi, but did not have it
secured. He brought his laptop out, and said, "Let's go for a ride."

We toured the neighborhood until he found an unsecured wifi. Within a few
minutes, he was able to tell me more information about the computer owner
than one could imagine. Passwords, credit card numbers, scary ****! We
went right home and I secured mine. I haven't been unsecured since, and I
tell this story to anyone I find who has an unsecured wifi. My son now
works for the government, but he won't say what he does, and I never asked
the second time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2012 10:39 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I know a couple of people that have open wi-fi and think it is OK.
They don't care if anyone uses it gratis. Maybe this will change
their minds.

My son visited me a couple of years ago. I had a wifi, but did not have it
secured. He brought his laptop out, and said, "Let's go for a ride."

We toured the neighborhood until he found an unsecured wifi. Within a few
minutes, he was able to tell me more information about the computer owner
than one could imagine. Passwords, credit card numbers, scary ****! We
went right home and I secured mine. I haven't been unsecured since, and I
tell this story to anyone I find who has an unsecured wifi. My son now
works for the government, but he won't say what he does, and I never asked
the second time.

Steve

Some years ago I had a conversation with an insurance agent, he was
visibly disturbed when I left his office. The next time I went to see
him, the first thing he said to me was "I bought that paper shredder
you recommended." ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2012 10:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:32:35 -0700, Oren wrote:

House is raided by SWAT after getting police threats from the IP
number.

"Whoops! Those anonymous Internet threats came from up the block."

"...Officers break the screen door and a window, tossing a flashbang
into the house—which you can see explode in the video. A second
flashbang gets tossed in for good measure a moment later. SWAT enters
the house."

Story: (video linked in story)

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/06/swat-team-throws-flashbangs-raids-wrong-home-due-to-open-wifi-network/

I know a couple of people that have open wi-fi and think it is OK.
They don't care if anyone uses it gratis. Maybe this will change
their minds.

Agree, but it doesn't take any genius (any notebook, smartphone etc with
a WiFi radio would show the security status of the WiFi) on the part of
the police to see that there was open WiFi and then quickly realize that
breaking the door and window and disrupting the occupants with two
grenades might make them look really clueless and totally overreacting
and overreaching their authority. But they needed to put a show on for
the TV cameras and chose to wrongly disrupt law abiding citizens in
their homes. But the mayor did say the city will pay to clean up the
glass so I guess all is OK...

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

But the mayor did say

the city --- (codeword for the taxpayer)

will pay to clean up the glass so I guess all is OK...

Wifi tv outputs micky Electronics Repair 2 December 8th 11 08:03 AM
wifi dish city Electronics 0 June 7th 08 04:12 PM
Network IEEE802.11b/g SIP WIFI Phone WI1800 [email protected] Electronics 0 March 4th 08 08:19 AM
Help, WIFI antenna amdx Electronic Schematics 1 July 25th 07 11:42 PM
DIY DX WiFi? T i m UK diy 31 March 17th 05 06:01 PM