Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The new postal worker

....drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

If the USPS could have figured out some way to have Chinese, Indian and
Filipino workers do the job, they would be doing it and we would be in real
trouble. I've gotten my mail as late as 7:30PM on somedays. I guess
they're proving the "gloom of night" part of the postman's creed - "Neither
rain, nor sleet . . ." I'd rather get it at 7:30PM than have a carrier
stack it up in his garage as many have done in the past when they felt
overworked. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 9:52*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

If the USPS could have figured out some way to have Chinese, Indian and
Filipino workers do the job, they would be doing it and we would be in real
trouble. *I've gotten my mail as late as 7:30PM on somedays. *I guess
they're proving the "gloom of night" part of the postman's creed - "Neither
rain, nor sleet . . ." *I'd rather get it at 7:30PM than have a carrier
stack it up in his garage as many have done in the past when they felt
overworked. *(-:

--
Bobby G.

No, not at all... What you are experiencing is
the impact of a shrinking workforce dealing with
an ever expanding number of customers in the
delivery area...

Some postal workers end up doing two routes
per day because they finish their "assigned"
route and go back to sort and deliver another...

Since this pool of workers is made up of
those who are able to finish their own area
early and volume fluctuates it is not always
the same carrier delivering to those routes
designated as "seconds" from day to day...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

In its attempts to fend off Republican efforts to destroy the Postal Service
through unreasonable funding of pensions 50 years into the future, the
Postal Service has reluctantly cut back on employees. This means that there
is less training for carriers than there used to be. Used to be that the
supervisor rode with the carrier for a couple days to make sure that all
stops were made and that mail was picked up from the pickup boxes on time,
etc. My dad was a mail carrier, so I know about this stuff. Today,
however, they've eliminated a lot of supervisors and "swing" carriers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2012 12:25 AM, RobertPatrick wrote:
Oren wrote in
:

...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

We have fill-ins that don't close the MB lid. Of course it's always when
it's rainy.

Even the regulars don't do that anymore. I also asked the regular one
day why the mail is usually folded. He said they are allowed to only use
one hand so if more than an envelope is involved they will fold it say
inside the flyer for carpet cleaning or whatever else came that day and
not close the lid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if, at home, they don't put
the TS down after a wee wee?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
eb.com...

We have fill-ins that don't close the MB lid.
Of course it's always when
it's rainy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

Heh!

Our former person-person (formerly mailman) always had time to stop and
chat. I asked him about that and he said he doesn't walk the route as it's
laid out by his betters. He said he devised his own route and usually
finishes by 1:00pm.

"What do you do then?" I asked.

"I find a shady spot for my lunch and study my law books for four hours. I'm
in my last year of law school" he said.

"What kind of lawyer do you plan on being?"

"After I pass the bar, I hope to go to get a job with the US Postal Service.
That way I'll never have to work again."

Nice to meet a man with a plan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/22/12 08:28 am, George wrote:

...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

We have fill-ins that don't close the MB lid. Of course it's always when
it's rainy.

Even the regulars don't do that anymore. I also asked the regular one
day why the mail is usually folded. He said they are allowed to only use
one hand so if more than an envelope is involved they will fold it say
inside the flyer for carpet cleaning or whatever else came that day and
not close the lid.

Ours (two of them recently) always close the mailbox lid, and I have
never found regular mail inside the advertising material. Maybe
different supervisors make different rules.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2012 3:09 AM, David Kaye wrote:
"Oren" wrote

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

In its attempts to fend off Republican efforts to destroy the Postal
Service
through unreasonable funding of pensions 50 years into the future, the
Postal Service has reluctantly cut back on employees. This means that
there
is less training for carriers than there used to be. Used to be that the
supervisor rode with the carrier for a couple days to make sure that all
stops were made and that mail was picked up from the pickup boxes on
time,
etc. My dad was a mail carrier, so I know about this stuff. Today,
however, they've eliminated a lot of supervisors and "swing" carriers.

Was your dad a mail carrier before Affirmative Action ruined The Postal
Service? I've watched Political Correctness and Affirmative Action ruin
many organizations both private and government over the past several
decades and have to deal with the Affirmative Action morons almost every
day. Of course the Liberal types believe that Affirmative Action only
concerns skin color and anyone complaining about it must be racist. Of
course Liberal types can never define their favorite swear word,
"racist". When the least qualified people are put in jobs and especially
positions of power, everything turns to excreta. A great American once
said something to the effect that he wished for the day when a man could
be judged by the content of his character rather than the color of his
skin. I think he was even a Republican. O_o

Yeah, back in the day I put my lilly-white ass through college working
about 50 hours a week for the Post Office Department before it became
the US Postal Service.

My buddy's father was a mid-level supervisor at the local PO and he got
5 of us jobs there as "temps" -- though we all stayed four years. The
regular carriers hated us-- it was a ticket to a degree for us while for
them, it was a dead-end low paying job with no overtime allowed except
on Xmas. The temps could work unlimited hours and we did-- routinely
earning more per year than they did.

The Foreman of Carriers liked us too as he could rely on us to get the
job done. If he called you at 5:00 AM to come in and bail his ass out
becaause 6 regulars had just called in sick, we got in there and got the
mail delivered.

It was easy too as the job spec allowed 3 hours to case up the mail and
5 hours to walk the route. In reality, you could case/walk a route in
3-4 hours so sometimes he'd assign us an extra route under the table to
deliver on the QT in a single day.

In partial payback, he'd sometimes let us ride the clock for the maximum
12 hours per day allowed. We'd walk a partial or full route, then head
over to class in postal uniform. Once I even drove over to school in my
2 ton postal truck!

Another time, I was assigned Registered Mail duty and back then they
issued you a sidearm. My professor almost crapped his pants when I
showed up in class heeled!

--
You can observe a lot just by watching.
---Yogi Berra
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/22/12 04:09 am, David Kaye wrote:
wrote

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

In its attempts to fend off Republican efforts to destroy the Postal Service
through unreasonable funding of pensions 50 years into the future, the
Postal Service has reluctantly cut back on employees. This means that there
is less training for carriers than there used to be. Used to be that the
supervisor rode with the carrier for a couple days to make sure that all
stops were made and that mail was picked up from the pickup boxes on time,
etc. My dad was a mail carrier, so I know about this stuff. Today,
however, they've eliminated a lot of supervisors and "swing" carriers.

Many Americans are opposed to allowing any government-related entity to
do anything that makes a profit -- partly, perhaps, to help the
for-profit entities that compete with them, and partly, perhaps, so that
they can complain about how inefficient government-related entities are.

To deal with the USPS specifically...

1. I recall that 30 or so years ago, the USPS announced that it did not
need the postage increase that Congress had authorized.

2. First-Class mail rates were supposed to subsidize the cost of
delivering magazines, books, catalogs, etc., but First-Class mail volume
has plummeted.

3. Over the past two or three years I have ordered from online vendors
items that were to be shipped by the particular vendors' "economy"
method. Some have been picked up by UPS, some by DHL, and some by FedEx,
BUT all have been delivered by USPS. IOW, USPS can deliver items more
cheaply than these "commercial" services can, even when the latter have
to transfer items from their own facility to the USPS facility instead
of delivering them themselves. Perhaps the USPS rates have been
"clamped" to aid these "commercial" services -- remember that the USPS,
unlike FedEx, etc., cannot fix its own rates.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reminds me of the old Chevy Chase movie "Funny Farm".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We got mail today. The postal worker, I think the same person, stopped
in the correct location. I noticed he partially consumed a beverage
of choice, checked his smart phone and went about his daily routine.

I say the same person, but I did not take dental impressions from him
or hear rap music from the usual relief postal worker on our route.

Good day.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 17:54:57 -0700, Oren wrote:

...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote

"After I pass the bar, I hope to go to get a job with the US Postal
Service. That way I'll never have to work again."

Bull**** of the first order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 15:18:20 -0700, "David Kaye"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote

"After I pass the bar, I hope to go to get a job with the US Postal
Service. That way I'll never have to work again."

Bull**** of the first order.

I had subordinates tell me they wanted to transfer to the postal
service. I told them I would change their evaluation to Outstanding,
so they might get the job. They were a danger to me in our
environment.

Only one came back crying for his job back.

A pencil is a powerful tool!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-09-22, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

them, it was a dead-end low paying job with no overtime allowed except

In what parallel universe was a post office job "low paying"?

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/21/12 08:54 pm, Oren wrote:

...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail
today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to
deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

If you want to talk about inefficient organizations, there were four --
yes, four -- trucks belonging to our local DirecTV subcontractor at our
neighbor's house yesterday afternoon.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want to talk about inefficient organizations, there were four --
yes, four -- trucks belonging to our local DirecTV subcontractor at our
neighbor's house yesterday afternoon.

Perce

they may have been using that location for training.........

the postal workers I know are hard working all except one a fellow
who works the window
the mc night post office zip 15237.......

that jerk has ONE SPEED GLACIALLY SLOW.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
[...]

I get letters in folded advertising, but it seems the thing to do.

I once went on a post office job testing. Two hard days. Was for
electronics job. Out of the 600 of us, I came in 50 . I got offered a
position, but I was not going to change my living location.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
On 2012-09-22, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

them, it was a dead-end low paying job with no overtime allowed except

In what parallel universe was a post office job "low paying"?

Before the strike and reorganization as the Postal Service in the 70s,
full-time postal workers in NY and some other cities made so little
money that they qualified for food stamps and other public assistance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Kaye wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote

"After I pass the bar, I hope to go to get a job with the US Postal
Service. That way I'll never have to work again."

Bull**** of the first order.

Well, it sounded like a plan to me...