Posted to alt.home.repair

Default EPA to protect small engines

"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps either
dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15
and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four
gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller
fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing
greater than 10 volume percent ethanol."

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...inimum-mandate

Seems to me, if the EPA wanted to protect small engines, they'd do away
entirely with the ethanol requirement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:28:31 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps either
dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15
and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four
gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller
fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing
greater than 10 volume percent ethanol."

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...inimum-mandate

Seems to me, if the EPA wanted to protect small engines, they'd do away
entirely with the ethanol requirement.

See United States Congress and thank them for the entire corn/ethanol
fiasco.
I plan to implement term limits this fall by voting against all
incumbent Congresspersons!
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...ment/249857-ep...

Seems to me, if the EPA wanted to protect small engines, they'd do away
entirely with the ethanol requirement.

See United States Congress and thank them for the entire corn/ethanol
fiasco.
I plan to implement term limits this fall by voting against all
incumbent Congresspersons!
--
Mr.E

It would seem a much better idea would be to spend
the time to understand which ones are representing your
views and doing a good job. How about if your current
representatives are against the ethanol subsidies and
the candidates running against them are green kooks?
Is that how you would run a business? Just fire everyone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If government were a business, it would have been Bankrupted,
Dissolved and/or Restructured years ago.
I believe in Term Limits on all elective offices.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps
either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the
case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at
least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines
with smaller

They should do away with that E stuff all together.

There are seveal stations in around me that sell gas with out the E in it.
It is sold as their highest price gas, so when the gas was about $ 3.50 a
gallon, the E-free was $ 4.00 per gallon.
I have started using that and it seems the small engines start beter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That should be gawdawful expensive, to retrofit all the pumps. With meter
telling when four gallons hits, and then dispense the alcohol into the gas.
Fuel is expensive enough already, without having to pay for more tanks and
more mixing.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Mr.E" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr.E wrote:
Is that how you would run a business? Just fire everyone?

If government were a business, it would have been Bankrupted,
Dissolved and/or Restructured years ago.
I believe in Term Limits on all elective offices.

Too bad the supreme court disagreed?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps
either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the
case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at
least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines
with smaller

They should do away with that E stuff all together.

There are seveal stations in around me that sell gas with out the E in it.
It is sold as their highest price gas, so when the gas was about $ 3.50 a
gallon, the E-free was $ 4.00 per gallon.
I have started using that and it seems the small engines start beter.

I have started doing that as well, and I find small engines start and run
better. Our local Shell stations offer the lowest octane fuel at 10%
ethanol, the next higher fuel uses 5% ethanol and their premium octane fuel
with the highest price contains NO ethanol.

One engine, a very small 4 stroke Honda (the size of most 2 stroke engines)
on a little rototiller, would be very difficult to start and would run rough
on 10% ethanol, changing to 0% ethanol made it start right a way and run
very smooth with full power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

One engine, a very small 4 stroke Honda (the size of most 2 stroke engines)
on a little rototiller, would be very difficult to start and would run rough
on 10% ethanol, changing to 0% ethanol made it start right a way and run
very smooth with full power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 9:17 am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:

They should do away with that E stuff all together.

Au contraire !!

I think they should put the gasoline in one pump, and the ethanol
in another, and the customer could buy them separately...

.... a lot more mason jars would be sold....you betcha !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2012 8:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps either
dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15
and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four
gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller
fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing
greater than 10 volume percent ethanol."

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...inimum-mandate

Seems to me, if the EPA wanted to protect small engines, they'd do away
entirely with the ethanol requirement.

Even Al Gore has said the ethanol requirement was a mistake.

Also one big environmental group, can't remember who, has said it.

Get rid of ethanol and all the other boutique grades of gas and there
would be a huge price drop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That would still leave control of everything to the
shadowy behind-the-scenes appointed committee
assistants and would not truly solve the stated problem...
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Mr.E" wrote in message

[...]

Godawful expensive ?

Do you live that far into the boonies that gas pumps
as still old fashioned old timey things ?

Around the civilized world, gas pumps have computers
in them and can self-serve cash or credit and have annoying
flat screen TVs blaring ads at you to make even more money
off of you while you pump the gas...

It would be a software change, little more...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 1:22*pm, Frank wrote:
On 9/19/2012 8:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:

"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps either
dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15
and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four
gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller
fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing
greater than 10 volume percent ethanol."

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...ment/249857-ep...

Seems to me, if the EPA wanted to protect small engines, they'd do away
entirely with the ethanol requirement.

Even Al Gore has said the ethanol requirement was a mistake.

Also one big environmental group, can't remember who, has said it.

Get rid of ethanol and all the other boutique grades of gas and there
would be a huge price drop.

That and the prices of food would go down as well
as too much of the corn crop is being diverted to this
eco-fuel boondongle...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So, if you ran a business you'd fire everyone occasionally?

I believe in Term Limits on all elective offices.

So vote for people who have similar values. It really isn't that hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:05:55 -0700 (PDT), Robert
wrote:

On Sep 19, 9:17 am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:

They should do away with that E stuff all together.

Au contraire !!

I think they should put the gasoline in one pump, and the ethanol
in another, and the customer could buy them separately...

*Great* idea! Somehow I bet the amount of E going into automobiles would be
nil. Don't drink and drive.

.... a lot more mason jars would be sold....you betcha !!

....but you'd have to buy it four gallons at a time! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank"

Get rid of ethanol and all the other boutique grades of gas and there
would be a huge price drop.

What is true is that the cost will go down. Prices especially at the pump

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com,
EXT wrote:
... other quotes snipped...

I have started doing that as well, and I find small engines start and run
better. Our local Shell stations offer the lowest octane fuel at 10%
ethanol, the next higher fuel uses 5% ethanol and their premium octane fuel
with the highest price contains NO ethanol.

Shell must be using other additives or formulations to control the octane
rating, rather than the ethanol content, apparently. All other things
being equal, a higher ethanol percentage increases the octane rating
of gasoline. In fact, straight ethanol has an octane equivalent rating
of about 105 to 115 or so, depending on what method is used to measure or
calculate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've read that ethanol is "energy negative". Takes more petroleum to plant,
harvest, and distill. More than the energy you get back.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"NotMe" wrote in message ...

"Frank"

Get rid of ethanol and all the other boutique grades of gas and there
would be a huge price drop.

What is true is that the cost will go down. Prices especially at the pump

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:45:45 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Mr.E wrote:
Is that how you would run a business? Just fire everyone?

If government were a business, it would have been Bankrupted,
Dissolved and/or Restructured years ago.
I believe in Term Limits on all elective offices.

Too bad the supreme court disagreed?

We'd have term limits if we had a smarter electorate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I've read that ethanol is "energy negative". Takes more petroleum to plant,
harvest, and distill. More than the energy you get back.

Not only that, to use e85 in my truck and break even, it needs to be 70-80
cents cheaper than regular gas. I think my truck looses 20% in power. Never
tried it though.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I've read that ethanol is "energy negative". Takes more petroleum to plant,
harvest, and distill. More than the energy you get back.

Not only that, to use e85 in my truck and break even, it needs to be 70-80
cents cheaper than regular gas. I think my truck looses 20% in power. Never
tried it though.

Greg

Was at garage today. Was buying some lawnboy oil. One of the workers was
going to drive me home, after learned my car was dangerous. He manned a
position in the shop of working on small motorized tools and mowers. I said
I sometimes use gas stabilizer. He showed me this stuff in a bottle that
treated up to 150 gallons. He said it was to help limit the destructive
nature of the alcohol. I don't know what it is, but I got lots of motorized
tools.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps
either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the
case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at
least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines
with smaller

They should do away with that E stuff all together.

There are seveal stations in around me that sell gas with out the E in it.
It is sold as their highest price gas, so when the gas was about $ 3.50 a
gallon, the E-free was $ 4.00 per gallon.
I have started using that and it seems the small engines start beter.

which puts the lie to the statement that taking ethanol out would lower the
price of gas
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps either
dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15
and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four
gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller
fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing
greater than 10 volume percent ethanol."

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...857-epas-four-
gallon-minimum-mandate

Seems to me, if the EPA wanted to protect small engines, they'd do away
entirely with the ethanol requirement.

See United States Congress and thank them for the entire corn/ethanol
fiasco.
I plan to implement term limits this fall by voting against all
incumbent Congresspersons!

so you won't be voting for Ryan?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:56:12 -0400, Mr.E wrote
in Re EPA to protect
small engines:

I plan to implement term limits this fall by voting against all
incumbent Congresspersons!

I've been doing that for many years. It's a righteous strategy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mr.E wrote:
Is that how you would run a business? Just fire everyone?
If government were a business, it would have been Bankrupted,
Dissolved and/or Restructured years ago.
I believe in Term Limits on all elective offices.

Too bad the supreme court disagreed?

We'd have term limits if we had a smarter electorate.

Exactly, but the red and blue "teams" have everyone rolling in the dirt
fighting over whether the blue or the red team is better while they
continue business as usual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2012 12:50 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps
either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the
case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at
least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines
with smaller

They should do away with that E stuff all together.

There are seveal stations in around me that sell gas with out the E in it.
It is sold as their highest price gas, so when the gas was about $ 3.50 a
gallon, the E-free was $ 4.00 per gallon.
I have started using that and it seems the small engines start beter.

which puts the lie to the statement that taking ethanol out would lower the
price of gas

Depends, There are tax exemptions and subsidies for the ethanol blend.
So while it is true that "standard" gasoline costs more at wholesale it
is because we aren't directly paying the full cost of the ethanol blend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps
either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in
the case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require
that at least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles
and engines with smaller

They should do away with that E stuff all together.

There are seveal stations in around me that sell gas with out the E
in it. It is sold as their highest price gas, so when the gas was
about $ 3.50 a gallon, the E-free was $ 4.00 per gallon.
I have started using that and it seems the small engines start beter.

which puts the lie to the statement that taking ethanol out would
lower the price of gas

You're assuming the retail price is totally governed by cost + markup.

In this case, the retail price may be governed more by market demand, that
is, what the buyer is willing to pay. Some people will pay a premium for the
undiluted stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2012 11:50 PM, gregz wrote:
gregz wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I've read that ethanol is "energy negative". Takes more petroleum to plant,
harvest, and distill. More than the energy you get back.

Not only that, to use e85 in my truck and break even, it needs to be 70-80
cents cheaper than regular gas. I think my truck looses 20% in power. Never
tried it though.

Greg

Was at garage today. Was buying some lawnboy oil. One of the workers was
going to drive me home, after learned my car was dangerous. He manned a
position in the shop of working on small motorized tools and mowers. I said
I sometimes use gas stabilizer. He showed me this stuff in a bottle that
treated up to 150 gallons. He said it was to help limit the destructive
nature of the alcohol. I don't know what it is, but I got lots of motorized
tools.

Greg

The destructive nature of ethanol is the greater solvent power. It can
attack seals in engines not designed for it. It did in my snow thrower
a couple of years ago when I left stabilized fuel in it.

Ethanol containing gas cannot be pipe-lined from refineries because the
greater solvent power would take out any old gunk deposits and
contaminate the fuel. Same for old gas tanks. When first mandated here,
they had to close down gas stations for maybe a week to clean out the
old tanks so they could contain E10.

Stormin is correct in that there are studies that show production of
ethanol for fuel is nearly energy neutral - it takes as much energy to
make it as you get out of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If gasohol was successful, it would succeed on its own. Not having to be
pushed on us by government mandate.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"George" wrote in message

Depends, There are tax exemptions and subsidies for the ethanol blend.
So while it is true that "standard" gasoline costs more at wholesale it
is because we aren't directly paying the full cost of the ethanol blend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry to hear gasohol gave you trouble. Makes me wonder, when I got a used
snow blower, it had some black specs floating in the fuel tank. Repeatedly
clogged the carb, so I put inline fuel filter. Wonder if that was an ethanol
failure?

I think the way to protect small engines is to give up on the gasohol
concept, and use corn and wheat for animal feed and people food instead.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

The destructive nature of ethanol is the greater solvent power. It can
attack seals in engines not designed for it. It did in my snow thrower
a couple of years ago when I left stabilized fuel in it.

Ethanol containing gas cannot be pipe-lined from refineries because the
greater solvent power would take out any old gunk deposits and
contaminate the fuel. Same for old gas tanks. When first mandated here,
they had to close down gas stations for maybe a week to clean out the
old tanks so they could contain E10.

Stormin is correct in that there are studies that show production of
ethanol for fuel is nearly energy neutral - it takes as much energy to
make it as you get out of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2012 8:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sorry to hear gasohol gave you trouble. Makes me wonder, when I got a used
snow blower, it had some black specs floating in the fuel tank. Repeatedly
clogged the carb, so I put inline fuel filter. Wonder if that was an ethanol
failure?

I think the way to protect small engines is to give up on the gasohol
concept, and use corn and wheat for animal feed and people food instead.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I don't know the exact problem as I just had the shop fix it.
Later reading through the manual, it said don't use gas with alcohol in
it. Impossible around here. Having it fixed and running tank dry at
end of season has been working fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:15:14 PM UTC-4, Evan wrote:
That and the prices of food would go down as well
as too much of the corn crop is being diverted to this
eco-fuel boondongle...

So, screw the farmers. Typical. It's okay to take one for the team as long as it's not *me*, right?

I am so sick of hearing people cry about how expensive food is and how it cuts into their iPhone budget. People need to get some perspective and get their priorities straight. We've still got the cheapest food in the world as % of income, and most of it is the good tasting "fun" food, not tree bark and lizard entrails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's near time to get my snow blower running. I wonder if run it dry helped
with my machine?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

I don't know the exact problem as I just had the shop fix it.
Later reading through the manual, it said don't use gas with alcohol in
it. Impossible around here. Having it fixed and running tank dry at
end of season has been working fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 12:50*am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article ,
*"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps
either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the
case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at
least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines
with smaller

They should do away with that E stuff all together.

There are seveal stations in around me that sell gas with out the E in it.
It is sold as their highest price gas, so when the gas was about $ 3.50 a
gallon, the E-free was $ 4.00 per gallon.
I have started using that and it seems the small engines start beter.

which puts the lie to the statement that taking ethanol out would lower the
price of gas

Geez. There is an obvious difference in having a unique
product right now, ie gas without E in it and taking the
E out of most of all of the gas. Right now they are
charging a PREMIUM for the gas without E because
they know there is a select market that is willing to
pay more, eg someone with a small engine.

E still costs more per gallon equivalent than gasoline.
And that is even with all the subsidies added in, which
just make the comparison worse. Take it out and
the price of gas will go down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 9:29*am, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:15:14 PM UTC-4, Evan wrote:
That and the prices of food would go down as well
as too much of the corn crop is being diverted to this
eco-fuel boondongle...

So, screw the farmers. Typical. It's okay to take one for the team as long as it's not *me*, right?

As if today's farmers are straight out of a Norman Rockwell
picture, sitting on the porch, with their suspenders on.
Most of those profitting from ethanol subsidies are huge
farming operations and large corporations. And there
is plenty of demand today for grains around the world
so that while grain prices will go down, farmers are not
going to go broke.

This stupidity of subsidizing farmers has been something
conservatives have railed against for decades. Today it
has reached even more absurd extremes.

I am so sick of hearing people cry about how expensive

food is and how it cuts into their iPhone budget. People need
to get some perspective and get their priorities straight. We've
still got the cheapest food in the world as % of income, and
most of it is the good tasting "fun" food, not tree bark and
lizard entrails.

Tell that to the starving people in places like Africa that are
eating tree bark and lizards because the worldwide price
of food has been driven up by the tripling of grain prices
due to diversion to ethanol.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:29:57 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:15:14 PM UTC-4, Evan wrote: That and the prices of food would go down as well as too much of the corn crop is being diverted to this eco-fuel boondongle... So, screw the farmers. Typical. It's okay to take one for the team as long as it's not *me*, right? I am so sick of hearing people cry about how expensive food is and how it cuts into their iPhone budget. People need to get some perspective and get their priorities straight. We've still got the cheapest food in the world as % of income, and most of it is the good tasting "fun" food, not tree bark and lizard entrails.

What you need to understand is that today's farmer is not that little guy standing with a hoe out in his field. Today it is big agribusiness typified by Archer Daniels Midland, the guys that greased the political palms to get them to legislate this boondoggle. No small farmers will be hurt by nullification of the ethanol mandate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some oil execs out there have to be smiling all
the way to the bank. Gas without E costs less
to produce, and they are now charging more.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Geez. There is an obvious difference in having a unique
product right now, ie gas without E in it and taking the
E out of most of all of the gas. Right now they are
charging a PREMIUM for the gas without E because
they know there is a select market that is willing to
pay more, eg someone with a small engine.

E still costs more per gallon equivalent than gasoline.
And that is even with all the subsidies added in, which
just make the comparison worse. Take it out and
the price of gas will go down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:45:25 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's near time to get my snow blower running. I wonder if run it dry helped with my machine? Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . "Frank" wrote in message ... I don't know the exact problem as I just had the shop fix it. Later reading through the manual, it said don't use gas with alcohol in it. Impossible around here. Having it fixed and running tank dry at end of season has been working fine.

I've never had problems with restarting engines I've run dry but it is always best to check out your stuff way before it is needed. I'll crank up my lawnmower a month before season because I know if it fails to start when I need it the mower shop will be full of lawnmowers needing repair and I'll have to wait a couple of weeks.