Posted to alt.home.repair

Default EPA to protect small engines

Sorry to hear gasohol gave you trouble. Makes me wonder, when I got a used
snow blower, it had some black specs floating in the fuel tank. Repeatedly
clogged the carb, so I put inline fuel filter. Wonder if that was an ethanol
failure?

I think the way to protect small engines is to give up on the gasohol
concept, and use corn and wheat for animal feed and people food instead.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

The destructive nature of ethanol is the greater solvent power. It can
attack seals in engines not designed for it. It did in my snow thrower
a couple of years ago when I left stabilized fuel in it.

Ethanol containing gas cannot be pipe-lined from refineries because the
greater solvent power would take out any old gunk deposits and
contaminate the fuel. Same for old gas tanks. When first mandated here,
they had to close down gas stations for maybe a week to clean out the
old tanks so they could contain E10.

Stormin is correct in that there are studies that show production of
ethanol for fuel is nearly energy neutral - it takes as much energy to
make it as you get out of it.