Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Gas Prices. Now I have to carry cash.

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:07:51 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 09/18/2012 10:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[nip]

But that's what started the thread. To fill-up using cash - to get the
discount - you often have to wait in line twice.

Wait in line...give 'em $75...pump $65...wait in line...get your $10
change.

[snip]

I wound pick an amount that's less than a whole fill-up and pay that.
That would be enough gas.

I like to keep an eye on gas mileage. I know about how many miles I can go on
a tank but that requires a full tank.

I really don't like being penalized for OTHER PEOPLE'S crimes (that "pay
in advance" *******).

We're penalized for other's crimes every day. You have locks on your door,
and a .357 in the nightstand, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:37:05 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
SMS wrote:

It's mini-marts that sell gas, not gas stations with mini-marts that are
excluded.

I'll bite. How does one differentiate?

Easy. If you get the rebate it was a gas station with a mini-mart, else it
was a mini-mart that sells gas. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 11:19*am, "
wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 06:19:54 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I've been going for years without carrying too much cash, mostly
relying on my debit card. $20 - $25 was enough for the occasional low
cost purchase or to order subs at work, things like that.

Now, with gas prices being where they are, I'm noticing more and more
stations offering three cents off for cash purchases. Now I find I
have to carry close to $100 if I want to fill up and still have my
$20 - $25 pocket cash.

I can still use my credit even at that reduction. *I get 1 % back,so
at $ 3.50 a gallon (more now) I am still ahead of the 3 cents per gallon.
Sometimes it is 5% back for several months.
I never carry a credit card ballance at the interest they charge now.

BTW the debit cards are the worst thing to carry. *Even worse than
cash. *If you loose the debit card, someone can wipe out your
account. *With cash, all you loose is the cash you have with you. Credit
cards are protected to some extent.

Hmm. My two debit cards have exactly the same protection as a credit card.

The difference is in the avalanche of other problems that debit card *fraud
can cause. If your accounts are zeroed out for a few days, all sorts of bad
things can happen. *If your debt is bumped up for a few days, who cares?

FOr that reason alone, I never use a debit card on the Internet or where the
physical plastic leaves my hand (restaurant, etc.).

Your experience may vary.

well as long as you dont write a check ATM can not legally bounce your
account

Bounce fees like 38 bucks on a 2 buck puchase overdrawn by a buck USED
to be a major bank prfit center......

tjhat can no onger occur
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:17:02 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

You never write checks?

Bounce fees like 38 bucks on a 2 buck puchase overdrawn by a buck USED
to be a major bank prfit center......

tjhat can no onger occur

Cite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:53:10 -0400, "
wrote:

Bounce fees like 38 bucks on a 2 buck puchase overdrawn by a buck USED
to be a major bank prfit center......

tjhat can no onger occur

Cite.

http://www.bbb.org/us/article/new-ov...tm-cards-21009

Let’s say you buy something with your debit or ATM card but haven’t
been keeping track of how much you have in your account. It turns out
you don’t have enough money in there, which means the withdrawal will
lead to an overdraft. According to the Federal Reserve Board Web site
http://www.federalreserve.gov/consum..._overdraft.htm there
are usually two ways that banks deal with an overdraft:

•Standard overdraft practices. Your bank will cover your transaction
for a flat fee of about $20-$35 each time you overdraw your account.
For example, if you make a purchase with your debit card for $150 but
only have $100 in your account, your account will be overdrawn by $50
and your bank will charge you a fee. If you then make an ATM
withdrawal for $50, your account will be overdrawn by $100 and you
will be charged another fee. In this example, if the fee your bank
charges for its standard overdraft practices is $30, you will pay a
total of $60 in fees on $100 in overdrafts.

•Overdraft protection plans. Your bank may offer a line of credit or a
link to your savings account to cover transactions when you overdraw
your account. Banks typically charge a fee each time you overdraw your
account, but these overdraft protection plans may be less expensive
than their standard overdraft practices.

So what’s different under the new rules? Basically, your bank has to
give you the option to choose how the bank will deal with an overdraft
from you. In the past, some banks automatically enrolled you in a
standard overdraft program when you opened an account with them. Now,
the bank has to ask your permission and you have to opt in. If you
don’t opt in, beginning August 15th, 2010, your bank’s standard
overdraft practices won’t kick in when you charge too much. Instead,
the transaction will typically be declined when you don’t have enough
in your account to cover it. You won’t be charged an overdraft fee,
but you also won’t be able to complete the purchase or withdrawal,
either.

If you have an existing account that was opened any time before July
1st, you are supposed to get a notice from your bank about their
standard overdraft practices, asking if you want them to continue or
not. If you open an account after July 1st, you will be asked if you
want to opt in or out when you fill out the initial paperwork.
Whichever way you decide, you can change your mind at any time.

Warning: If you write checks or set up automatic bill payment from
your checking account, the new rules do not cover checks or automatic
bill payments. Your bank can still automatically enroll you in their
standard overdraft practices for those types of transactions. If you
don’t want that to happen, contact your bank, but you may find that
you don’t have the option to cancel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message .Overdraft protection
plans. Your bank may offer a line of credit or a
link to your savings account to cover transactions when you overdraw
your account. Banks typically charge a fee each time you overdraw your
account, but these overdraft protection plans may be less expensive
than their standard overdraft practices.

I like my credit union as I have the overdraft that transfers money out of
my other accounts without any charge.
If those accounts default for any reason, I have a $ 5000 line of credit
that will cover anything up to that ammount also.
Still without any fees except the normal interist charge if that line of
credit ever kicks in. Then it is just normal interist rates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK.

•Overdraft protection plans. Your bank may offer a line of credit or a
link to your savings account to cover transactions when you overdraw
your account. Banks typically charge a fee each time you overdraw your
account, but these overdraft protection plans may be less expensive
than their standard overdraft practices.

That's been normal for at least forty years.

[...]

So it's not as simple as BobH stated.

Warning: If you write checks or set up automatic bill payment from
your checking account, the new rules do not cover checks or automatic
bill payments. Your bank can still automatically enroll you in their
standard overdraft practices for those types of transactions. If you
don’t want that to happen, contact your bank, but you may find that
you don’t have the option to cancel.

Exactly. It'll make a mess of a checking account. Why would you have a
checking account if you never wrote checks?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:59:00 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message .Overdraft protection
plans. Your bank may offer a line of credit or a
link to your savings account to cover transactions when you overdraw
your account. Banks typically charge a fee each time you overdraw your
account, but these overdraft protection plans may be less expensive
than their standard overdraft practices.

I like my credit union as I have the overdraft that transfers money out of
my other accounts without any charge.

Banks have done that since the great flood, too. I agree, though. CUs are
the place for people to keep money.

If those accounts default for any reason, I have a $ 5000 line of credit
that will cover anything up to that ammount also.
Still without any fees except the normal interist charge if that line of
credit ever kicks in. Then it is just normal interist rates.

Sure, so do we, though we haven't overdrafted in at least thirty years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:45:39 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

Bounce fees like 38 bucks on a 2 buck puchase overdrawn by a buck
USED to be a major bank prfit center......

tjhat can no onger occur

Cite.

Since 2010. Sorta:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ft-fees-ov.htm

Except it can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:54:46 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

On Monday, September 17, 2012 10:34:58 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

Same with me. I also get 1% back on my credit card. Lot of folks can't do math or worse drive an extra ten miles to save a few cents per gallon consuming far more in fuel costs to do it.

Then if you even pay cash, you have to get in line with people buying food items at most gas stations and if you fill up, you have to go back in line for change. Even though retired, I value my time more than waiting in line.

Not only do I get the 1%+ back to me on the credit card, if I let the
cash back build over $300 before redeeming it they give me an extra
25% bonus (up to $100). I know some people don't like using credit
cards but to me the only way to go is to charge EVERYTING on the card
and get the cash back reward.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:35:05 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

BTW the debit cards are the worst thing to carry. *Even worse than cash. *If
you loose the debit card, someone can wipe out your account. *With cash, all
you loose is the cash you have with you. *Credit cards are protected to some
extent.

Debit card loss limit 50 bucks, by federal law.

Last I heard that was only on CREDIT Cards. Some banks have CHOSEN
to implement the same $50 limit (or even $0 limit) on Debit cards (and
credit cards too) but there is no federal law requiring it.

My wife lost her card must of dropped it at the pump

someone ran up 300 bucks in theft charges, wife got all 300 back it
got charged back to the gas station. where the bank electronically
debited it out of the gas stations account.....

the station was supposed to review the security tapes and go after the
thief, but as it turned out the security camera was broke...

i thought somone may have turned in the card to the stations cashier
who used it themselves if they knew the cameras werent working

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote:
-snip-

Not only do I get the 1%+ back to me on the credit card, if I let the
cash back build over $300 before redeeming it they give me an extra
25% bonus (up to $100).

Cool! Who does that? They might have a new customer.

I know some people don't like using credit
cards but to me the only way to go is to charge EVERYTING on the card
and get the cash back reward.

I'm with you. Unless the vendor is giving a bigger discount than the
card is, It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:58:46 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
-snip-

Not only do I get the 1%+ back to me on the credit card, if I let the
cash back build over $300 before redeeming it they give me an extra
25% bonus (up to $100).

Cool! Who does that? They might have a new customer.

Bank of America, the bank everyone loves to hate. In my experience
they have been terrific.

I know some people don't like using credit
cards but to me the only way to go is to charge EVERYTING on the card
and get the cash back reward.

I'm with you. Unless the vendor is giving a bigger discount than the
card is, It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2012 1:41 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:12:55 -0400, George wrote:

On 9/17/2012 9:43 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been going for years without carrying too much cash, mostly
relying on my debit card. $20 - $25 was enough for the occasional low
cost purchase or to order subs at work, things like that.

Now, with gas prices being where they are, I'm noticing more and more
stations offering three cents off for cash purchases. Now I find I
have to carry close to $100 if I want to fill up and still have my $20
- $25 pocket cash.

It's just PITA, that's all.

Why? carry enough for a typical day. I kind of like cutting banks out of
transactions too.

I probably have about $900 in my wallet now (Hmm, a little over $1000 - it's
still early in the week. Our "bank" is 1000mi away so I use ATMs and only
hit them once a week. I use a credit card for gas because I get a discount
for credit.

We have a number of recent cash only stations around here that offer
even better discounts (typically $0.11-14/gal) than you describe.

There are a few like that here, too, but even their cash rate is about $.10
above others in the area. For obvious reasons, I rarely stop there.

Here in New Jersey, typically we pay about 9 cents extra per gallon for
using a credit card. There's a BP station at the New Jersey side of the
Goethals Bridge to Staten Island that charges 18 cents extra to use a
credit card. The Exxon station across from him doesn't post its card
rates; they might be just as outrageous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:45:34 -0400, Rebel1 wrote:

[...]

You folks in the NE are used to being raped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I know some people don't like using credit
cards but to me the only way to go is to charge EVERYTING on the card
and get the cash back reward.

I'm with you. Unless the vendor is giving a bigger discount than the
card is, It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Totally. I get at least $750 back every year just for buying what I have to
buy anyway.