Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Durable Finish For Wooden Doors In The Tropics

Hi,

Can someone suggest a durable finish for wooden doors in a tropical
environment?

The doors of our house in Costa Rica cannot keep a finish for more than few
months. The original owner said they "mahogany" and originally "varnished"
(I quote because I am not 100% sure she was correct). When the varnish
refused to stay they sanded it off an put on an oil based stain. They were
newly oiled last October and by June much of the oil was gone. I might or
might not find out what they are using.

There are a total of 29 custom made exterior doors (really. The house was
built to be completed opened up - possible in a climate where many of the
restaurants don't have walls.) Replacing that many doors would be
impractical.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:24:09 -0400, "Abby"
wrote:

Hi,

Can someone suggest a durable finish for wooden doors in a tropical
environment?

The doors of our house in Costa Rica cannot keep a finish for more than few
months. The original owner said they "mahogany" and originally "varnished"
(I quote because I am not 100% sure she was correct). When the varnish
refused to stay they sanded it off an put on an oil based stain. They were
newly oiled last October and by June much of the oil was gone. I might or
might not find out what they are using.

There are a total of 29 custom made exterior doors (really. The house was
built to be completed opened up - possible in a climate where many of the
restaurants don't have walls.) Replacing that many doors would be
impractical.

Thanks,
Gary

(Don't know what to use in your case. Mahogany, at least on some homes
in Belize, are not finished with any exterior coating.)

You might post your questions to the rec.woodworking group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Abby" wrote in
:

[...]

Keep away the sunlight. Its deadly to paint and wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:43:10 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

Teak ???

OP said Mahogany. You think Mahogany and Teak are the same woods?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Abby" wrote:
Hi,

Can someone suggest a durable finish for wooden doors in a tropical environment?

The doors of our house in Costa Rica cannot keep a finish for more than
few months. The original owner said they "mahogany" and originally
"varnished" (I quote because I am not 100% sure she was correct). When
the varnish refused to stay they sanded it off an put on an oil based
stain. They were newly oiled last October and by June much of the oil
was gone. I might or might not find out what they are using.

There are a total of 29 custom made exterior doors (really. The house
was built to be completed opened up - possible in a climate where many of
the restaurants don't have walls.) Replacing that many doors would be impractical.

Thanks,
Gary

Boat varnish ? Spar.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
"Abby" wrote:
[...]

I would also insure they are dry when painted, like oven dried.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Abby wrote:
Hi,

Can someone suggest a durable finish for wooden doors in a tropical
environment?

The doors of our house in Costa Rica cannot keep a finish for more
than few months. The original owner said they "mahogany" and
originally "varnished" (I quote because I am not 100% sure she was
correct). When the varnish refused to stay they sanded it off an put
on an oil based stain. They were newly oiled last October and by
June much of the oil was gone. I might or might not find out what
they are using.
There are a total of 29 custom made exterior doors (really. The
house was built to be completed opened up - possible in a climate
where many of the restaurants don't have walls.) Replacing that many
doors would be impractical.

The thing that eats finishes is UV...the sun. If something gets sun through
much of the day you will be lucky to get six months from a clear finish.

I had a sailboat in Hawaii for many years. The main mast carried a yard...a
horizontal spar. Varnish on the top of the yard would be gone in six
months; the bottom of the yard was good for a couple of years.

If you want a shiny finish about the best you can do is an alkyd varnish -
not spar - with an UV inhibitor. If you don't want shiny, tung or plain old
boiled linseed oil will work for a few months. In either case, they will
have to be maintained; in the case of oil, another coat applied at regular
intervals; in the case of varnish, sanding lightly and recoating at the
*first* signs of deterioration (dulling). Fortunately, you live somewhere
where laborers are plantiful and inexpensive.

If you want a finish that will last longer without maintenance, paint - not
stain - will.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2012 2:24 PM, Abby wrote:
Hi,

Can someone suggest a durable finish for wooden doors in a tropical
environment?

The doors of our house in Costa Rica cannot keep a finish for more than
few months. The original owner said they "mahogany" and originally
"varnished" (I quote because I am not 100% sure she was correct). When
the varnish refused to stay they sanded it off an put on an oil based
stain. They were newly oiled last October and by June much of the oil
was gone. I might or might not find out what they are using.

There are a total of 29 custom made exterior doors (really. The house
was built to be completed opened up - possible in a climate where many
of the restaurants don't have walls.) Replacing that many doors would be
impractical.

Thanks,
Gary

29 doors on one freaking house? I'd try awnings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:44:39 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

On 9/15/2012 2:24 PM, Abby wrote:
[...]

....but, but, but - they lock ugly in the tropical rain forests of
Costa Rica.

Gary,

I'd (We) would like to see a picture of this house...post a link back
here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 09:05:48 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

And end up with 29 painted doors. If the rest of the house is painted
on the exterior...

....point is, mahogany will last without a finish.

Cite some homes in Belize, that withstood the hurricane of circa 1935.
That storm devastated the mahogany forest land.

The wood since the time has turned grayish (patina)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/15/2012 2:24 PM, Abby wrote:
[...]

It's funny .... you begin with no idea and when others make
suggestions, you criticize them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:03:03 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

29 doors on one freaking house? I'd try awnings.

...but, but, but - they lock ugly in the tropical rain forests of
Costa Rica.

It's funny .... you begin with no idea and when others make
suggestions, you criticize them.

Where did I " criticize", Doug?

I said in my first post I did not know in the case of the OP. Even
suggested the woodworking group.

Do you know where this house is in Costa Rica? Is it in the city, in
the rain forests or is it on the beach front?

Awnings work in one location and not in another location!