Posted to alt.home.repair
Sjouke Burry[_5_] Sjouke Burry[_5_] is offline

Default Durable Finish For Wooden Doors In The Tropics

"Abby" wrote in
:

Hi,

Can someone suggest a durable finish for wooden doors in a tropical
environment?

The doors of our house in Costa Rica cannot keep a finish for more
than few months. The original owner said they "mahogany" and
originally "varnished" (I quote because I am not 100% sure she was
correct). When the varnish refused to stay they sanded it off an put
on an oil based stain. They were newly oiled last October and by June
much of the oil was gone. I might or might not find out what they are
using.

There are a total of 29 custom made exterior doors (really. The house
was built to be completed opened up - possible in a climate where many
of the restaurants don't have walls.) Replacing that many doors would
be impractical.

Thanks,
Gary

Keep away the sunlight. Its deadly to paint and wood.