Posted to alt.home.repair

Default European loophole for bulb ban

"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent
variety – as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get around
the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into force
on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps', meaning
shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' ”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...ght-bulbs.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:46:06 AM UTC-7, HeyBub wrote:
"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent

variety � as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get around

the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into force

on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps', meaning

shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' �.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...ght-bulbs.html

What happens if you have a home-office and the garage is your shop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2012 5:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent
variety – as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get around
the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into force
on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps', meaning
shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' ”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...ght-bulbs.html

"KNOCK! KNOCK!, UN Energy Police! Open Up!" "We know from our energy
scans that you have contraband light bulbs in use in your home, OPEN
UP NOW! or we will crash through your door!" ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...rs-avoid-ban-o...

"KNOCK! KNOCK!, UN Energy Police! Open Up!" "We know from our energy
scans that you have contraband light bulbs in use in your home, OPEN
UP NOW! or we will crash through your door!" ^_^

TDD

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
On 8/26/2012 5:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:

"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent
variety as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get around
the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into force
on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps', meaning
shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...rs-avoid-ban-o...

"KNOCK! KNOCK!, UN Energy Police! Open Up!" "We know from our energy
scans that you have contraband light bulbs in use in your home, OPEN
UP NOW! or we will crash through your door!" ^_^

TDD

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications.

Utter nonsense.

I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications

Not there yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
On 8/26/2012 5:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:

"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent
variety as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get around
the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into force
on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps', meaning
shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...rs-avoid-ban-o...

"KNOCK! KNOCK!, UN Energy Police! Open Up!" "We know from our energy
scans that you have contraband light bulbs in use in your home, OPEN
UP NOW! or we will crash through your door!" ^_^

TDD

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications

LED lighting is improving all the time and I think the technology will
be the standard within a decade. There is not the mercury pollution
problem with them but someone will find that LED lights cause you to
grow a third eye or some such nonsense. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 5:15 pm, bob haller wrote:

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications

The local DOLLAR STORE has LED night lights which draw about
..3 watts, for a dollar. They put out almost as much light as the
4 or 7 watt incandescents, and last a lot longer. I am impressed
by the high brightness versions of LEDs, and hope for the price to
come down for the larger models.
I currently use CFLs throughout the house and, although I really
railed against the government as an initial reaction, I am very happy
with being able to reach up and unscrew a bulb without burning my
hands..... It may be a couple bucks more up front, but the decreased
load on my air conditioning together with the decreased electric cost
for lighting makes it a good business decision.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2012 6:27 AM, Robert wrote:
On Aug 26, 5:15 pm, bob haller wrote:

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications

The local DOLLAR STORE has LED night lights which draw about
.3 watts, for a dollar. They put out almost as much light as the
4 or 7 watt incandescents, and last a lot longer. I am impressed
by the high brightness versions of LEDs, and hope for the price to
come down for the larger models.
I currently use CFLs throughout the house and, although I really
railed against the government as an initial reaction, I am very happy
with being able to reach up and unscrew a bulb without burning my
hands..... It may be a couple bucks more up front, but the decreased
load on my air conditioning together with the decreased electric cost
for lighting makes it a good business decision.

Actually, technology will prevail. We probably don't need not stinking
law. CFLs are actually pretty good and are getting better. LED stuff
has come a long way and will continue to improve. I built a new home 3
years ago and installed all CFLs. However, there was one place where
they were a dismal failure ... over the bathroom mirror. Either they
started out so dim or took so long to to even come on. So, they are now
incandescent. I'd bet if they were replace today, I'd find something
that would be ok. But, they don't get that much use anyway ... in the
grand scheme of things it won't change much. I would like to replace
the light that are on every night, with LEDs, but they are just not
there yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
On 8/26/2012 5:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:

"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent
variety as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get around
the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into force
on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps', meaning
shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...rs-avoid-ban-o...

"KNOCK! KNOCK!, UN Energy Police! Open Up!" "We know from our energy
scans that you have contraband light bulbs in use in your home, OPEN
UP NOW! or we will crash through your door!" ^_^

TDD

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications

Agree, I haven't bought incandescent household bulbs in years. "heybub"
will milk this for years to come with his important announcements though...

We had some new offices and a conference room added and used LED
lighting and I am really impressed how far they have come along.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

We just had some additional office space constructed and used LED
lighting. I am impressed how well it works and how pleasing the light
output is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2012 8:17 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Get some newer CFLs. The new ones come on so quickly that I don't notice
a difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If CFL is such a good decision, people will make the decision on their own.
Not having to be forced by government mandate. The choice should be left to
consumers, not to government dictates from above.

The USA is supposed to be the land of the free, not the land of the
government dictates.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert" wrote in message

although I really
railed against the government as an initial reaction, I am very happy
with being able to reach up and unscrew a bulb without burning my
hands..... It may be a couple bucks more up front, but the decreased
load on my air conditioning together with the decreased electric cost
for lighting makes it a good business decision.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
On 8/26/2012 5:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:

"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the
incandescent
variety as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get
around
the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into
force
on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps',
meaning
shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...rs-avoid-ban-o...

"KNOCK! KNOCK!, UN Energy Police! Open Up!" "We know from our energy
scans that you have contraband light bulbs in use in your home, OPEN
UP NOW! or we will crash through your door!" ^_^

TDD

It's all silly. Those countries -including the U.S. and Canada - which
phased or are phasing out standard incandescent bulbs have always had
exceptions for rough service, decorative, appliance and other incandescent
bulbs.

As I read the laws, incandescent bulbs will be around a lot longer than most
of us particularly now that at least one company has introduced halogen
bulbs that meet the new standards. The so called "2X" bulb puts out 1600
lumens, draws 50 watts (instead of 100) and is rated for 1500 hours life.

See: http://www.hybridlightbulb.com/FAQ-2Xversion.htm

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

I agree. There are a few "sweet spots" for home use of LEDs already --
replacements for "can" downlights is one. Prices are coming down, they're
dimmable and the quality of light is fine. Power per unit usually drops
from 65 to 10 or 12 watts after changing.

Energy Police? Haven't seen any, haven't heard of any and even the paranoid
bulb-worriers are coming up dry.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/27/2012 05:27 AM, Robert wrote:
On Aug 26, 5:15 pm, bob haller wrote:

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications

The local DOLLAR STORE has LED night lights which draw about
.3 watts, for a dollar. They put out almost as much light as the
4 or 7 watt incandescents, and last a lot longer. I am impressed
by the high brightness versions of LEDs, and hope for the price to
come down for the larger models.
I currently use CFLs throughout the house and, although I really
railed against the government as an initial reaction, I am very happy
with being able to reach up and unscrew a bulb without burning my
hands..... It may be a couple bucks more up front, but the decreased
load on my air conditioning together with the decreased electric cost
for lighting makes it a good business decision.

Also, you can get CFLs that give you WHITE light, rather than the dirty
yellow of incandescents.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Hex dump: Where witches leave their used curses."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

The SUN is a dirty yellow and the eyes of all creatures are adapted to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote

"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent
variety – as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get
around the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes
into force on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household
lamps', meaning shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for
'industrial use' ”.

A "rough service" bulb is typically a bulb with a filament designed for a
higher voltage than its ultimate use, for instance 265 volts in Europe
instead of 240, or 125 volts in the USA instead of 110 volts. This means
that the filament burns dimmer and lasts far longer because it's not burning
as hot. It also means that it gives off more heat and less light, and thus
is less efficient as a lamp.

Another workaround that they're doing in Australia is selling incandescent
bulbs as "heat lamps" instead of as lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications

For most, but not for all. An incandescent lamp puts out light across the
full spectrum. A CFL puts out 3 or 4 distinct bands of color (which you can
easily see with a refracting lens). This difference may look okay to the
eye at first, but try using a CFL to look at your face in the mirror.
Instead of looking the picture of health you look ill and ghostly because
CFLs are horrible on skin tones. CFLs are also poor for existing light
photography.

A couple other things I don't like about CFLs is that they start up dim and
then gradually brighten, making them a nuisance in a low-light or totally
dark room. And then they tend to smell with an "electric smell" which is
also annoying.

Lastly, when they burn out they do it with a flourish. Instead of a bright
flash and a pop as incandescents do, a CFL usually smokes and gives off a
bad smell when it burns out. The white base also becomes discolored with
smoke. There is nothing wrong with the way these burn out -- they're
designed to burn out exactly the way I said, but they're frightening to
people unaccustomed to seeing them burn out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

I've recently installed power circuits for some of the Red Box DVD
rental kiosks and the new units use 60 LED's now for the back-lit
marque instead of 4 fluorescent tubes and the light looks the same
to me. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Kaye wrote:

A "rough service" bulb is typically a bulb with a filament designed
for a higher voltage than its ultimate use, for instance 265 volts in
Europe instead of 240, or 125 volts in the USA instead of 110 volts. This
means that the filament burns dimmer and lasts far longer
because it's not burning as hot. It also means that it gives off
more heat and less light, and thus is less efficient as a lamp.

Another workaround that they're doing in Australia is selling
incandescent bulbs as "heat lamps" instead of as lights.

Years ago, groups were selling "10-Year" light bulbs, often to help some
worthy cause ("Disabled Veterans of the Boar War"). Turns out the bulbs had
filaments made from 10d nails or somesuch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Kaye" wrote in message
"bob haller" wrote

[...]

CFLs are lacking the deep red light wavelengths, so skin tones are affected.
Complexions tend to have an orange or sallow appearance.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Kaye" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote

[...]

You're thinking of "extended life" bulbs, not "rough service" bulbs. Rough
service bulbs are designed to take physical shock and vibration so they have
filaments that are mounted differently, extra filament supports and maybe
even alloy filaments instead of pure tungsten. Some sign lamps are made
that with rhenium/tungsten filament wire, for example. Such things cause
the filament to burn a bit cooler and so the bulbs have extended life too.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
On 8/26/2012 5:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:

"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent
variety as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get around
the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into force
on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps', meaning
shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...rs-avoid-ban-o....

"KNOCK! KNOCK!, UN Energy Police! Open Up!" "We know from our energy
scans that you have contraband light bulbs in use in your home, OPEN
UP NOW! or we will crash through your door!" ^_^

TDD

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most
applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications

Better still LED replacements for fluorescent tubes.
http://www.earlsmann.co.uk/sections/product/id/15

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

It's here now Duf
http://www.earlsmann.co.uk/sections/product/id/15
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

There's a local guy who's company has been making tons of money for the
last several years retrofitting parking decks with the LED tubes. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Kaye" wrote:

A "rough service" bulb is typically a bulb with a filament designed for a
higher voltage than its ultimate use, for instance 265 volts in Europe
instead of 240, or 125 volts in the USA instead of 110 volts.

The standard voltage in the USA has not been 110 volts for more than
35 years.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2012 7:10 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
"David Kaye" wrote:

A "rough service" bulb is typically a bulb with a filament designed for a
higher voltage than its ultimate use, for instance 265 volts in Europe
instead of 240, or 125 volts in the USA instead of 110 volts.

The standard voltage in the USA has not been 110 volts for more than
35 years.

Industrial/commercial bulbs are rated 130 volts for standard 120 volt
service. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert wrote:

The local DOLLAR STORE has LED night lights which draw about
.3 watts, for a dollar. They put out almost as much light as the
4 or 7 watt incandescents, and last a lot longer.

Are these 120 volt candelabra (E12) base screw-in bulbs? What brand
are they?
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
because it loves her/him. The cat is happy because it thinks that by sitting
on the human it is dominant over the human.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2012 9:01 AM, George wrote:
[...]

Actually, I know that, however, there are 3 60 watt incandescents above
the mirror in each bathroom. They are on for probably less than 10
minutes per day, so it's probably not worth the bother. Maybe when they
start burning out, if ever in my life, I'll convert.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, you're a scofflaw. A criminal, the likes of which have seldom been
seen. I bet.... naaah..... it's too much to think. You probably have a
refrigerator with freon in it?

How this once great nation has changed. And not for the better.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

Actually, I know that, however, there are 3 60 watt incandescents above
the mirror in each bathroom. They are on for probably less than 10
minutes per day, so it's probably not worth the bother. Maybe when they
start burning out, if ever in my life, I'll convert.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 03:19:00 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

Robert wrote:

The local DOLLAR STORE has LED night lights which draw about
.3 watts, for a dollar. They put out almost as much light as the
4 or 7 watt incandescents, and last a lot longer.

Are these 120 volt candelabra (E12) base screw-in bulbs? What brand
are they?

At least the ones I have aren't "bulbs" at all. They're fixtures that plug
directly into the outlet. The LED isn't replaceable (not socketed). They
work very well but they do *not* "put out almost as much light as a 4 or 7
watt incandescent. There really isn't any reason for that much light, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

Actually, I know that, however, there are 3 60 watt incandescents above
the mirror in each bathroom. They are on for probably less than 10
minutes per day, so it's probably not worth the bother. Maybe when they
start burning out, if ever in my life, I'll convert.

Let's get it right, please, even if you jest. The federal and California
laws say that you can't make or import the incandescent bulbs that have been
phased out. The laws DON'T SAY that you can't buy or use them. Certainly,
buy some if you want, use them if you have them and sockets with short
burning hours are just the right applications.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

I jest. Don't call me Surely.

Christopher A. Young