Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default new tv

I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:41:25 AM UTC-7, cj wrote:
I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the

cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was

crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still

the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,

that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a

cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds

hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

Have you tried getting any channels using an antenna instead?
Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote in :

I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

Those flatscreens are the worst speaker boxes you can imagine.
Put two speakerboxes and a small amplifier on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2012 1:41 PM, cj wrote:
I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

Can you reveal the model? Some flat panels have speakers acceptable for
average needs and many don't. You may have the latter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2012 1:41 PM, cj wrote:
I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to
the cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality
was crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and
still the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty
can, that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t
have a cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still
sounds hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar
problem?

Thanks, CJ

Quite possibly a defect in the TV itself, and unrelated to the cable box
or other source. What leads you to believe that the TV itself has good
sound which is somehow being degraded by the cable input? Most likely it
is exactly the opposite situation, good cable signal audio and a TV with
hollow sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

On 8/19/2012 2:59 PM, George wrote:
On 8/19/2012 1:41 PM, cj wrote:
I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

Can you reveal the model? Some flat panels have speakers acceptable for
average needs and many don't. You may have the latter.

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch) and
the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch). Both have a hollow
sound, no mater how much bass and treble adjusting I do.
Thanks, CJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-08-19, cj wrote:

hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Flat screens have crap sound spkrs. Make sure yer TV has an audio out
plug or at least a headphone jack. Then, get a pair of cheap
"powered" computer spkrs. Powered means they are amplified and can
boost even ear/headphone level output. You can get 'em dirt cheap or
even free at swap meets, garage sales, thrift shops, Walmart, etc. I
bought a set, two adj stereo spkrs w/ separate sub-woofer. Better
than ANY TV spkrs and only $10, brand new. I was later given a
similar setup, free.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:24:00 -0400, cj wrote:

Can you reveal the model? Some flat panels have speakers acceptable for
average needs and many don't. You may have the latter.

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch) and
the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch). Both have a hollow
sound, no mater how much bass and treble adjusting I do.
Thanks, CJ

Both are low end brands, possibly made on the same assembly line in
China. Go for a Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc. and you may have better
luck. Be sure to listen to one in the store for comparison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 3:37*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:24:00 -0400, cj wrote:

Can you reveal the model? Some flat panels have speakers acceptable *for
average needs and many don't. You may have the latter.

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch) and
the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch). Both have a hollow
sound, no mater how much bass and treble adjusting I do.
Thanks, CJ

Both are low end brands, possibly made on the same assembly line in
China. *Go for a Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc. and you may have better
luck. *Be sure to listen to one in the store for comparison.

And also, it's a 22" which I would think would limit the
sound quality as well. Even in a 42" the sound isn't
real great. Hard to imagine it's due to the cable signal,
if he has a decent pic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2012 3:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:24:00 -0400, cj wrote:

Can you reveal the model? Some flat panels have speakers acceptable for
average needs and many don't. You may have the latter.

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch) and
the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch). Both have a hollow
sound, no mater how much bass and treble adjusting I do.
Thanks, CJ

Both are low end brands, possibly made on the same assembly line in
China. Go for a Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc. and you may have better
luck. Be sure to listen to one in the store for comparison.

Agree, the smaller size low end brands tend to have tiny speakers and a
low power amplifier. I picked up a 22" LG for an elderly relative a few
weeks ago for their bedroom and it had pretty decent sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/19/2012 10:41 AM, cj wrote:
I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

LCD screens are expensive, and there is fierce competition to make them
affordable. Most people also consider a large LCD TV to be part of a
home theater system, and they will have additional speakers and
amplifiers for them.

Something has to give, and this something is often the speakers and/or
sound processing.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can, that
is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a cable
box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds hollow, for
lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

The general consensus is dead on. It has nothing to do with your cable at
all. It's completely related to the TV. As others have stated, low end
models will do that. Add low end models to the smaller size TV and you'll
have strings and can sound.

Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Toshiba and Panasonic (mostly Plasma) are your better
options with Samsung and Sony at the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Aug 2012, cj wrote in alt.home.repair:

I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly
to the cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound
quality was crummy so I returned it and went with a different
manufacturer and still the sound quality is bad...sounds like its
coming from an empty can, that is, it sounds hollow. I am
wondering if its because I don,t have a cable box. I tried to
tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds hollow, for lack of
a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Bass and treble controls will do nothing to affect a "hollow" sound
quality. Those controls only affect the bass and treble (surprise,
surprise!)

Try hooking your computer speaker system up to the TV as a test. You
will almost certainly hear a dramatic improvement. Then look for a
permanent solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2012 3:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:24:00 -0400, cj wrote:

Can you reveal the model? Some flat panels have speakers acceptable for
average needs and many don't. You may have the latter.

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch) and
the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch). Both have a hollow
sound, no mater how much bass and treble adjusting I do.
Thanks, CJ

Both are low end brands, possibly made on the same assembly line in
China. Go for a Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc. and you may have better
luck. Be sure to listen to one in the store for comparison.

I agree. Neither old company is probably making the TV's but putting
their names on cheap Chinese junk.

I just bought a couple of HD Samsungs and quality is terrific. Sound is
fine but if you want more of a surround sound seller recommended speakers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote:

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

And I'll say that the Vizio [36? 42?] I got a few years ago has a
great picture, but borderline sound. Good enough for me-- but many
reviewers suggested getting a sound bar for it.

[The price on the Vizio was so good, I could have bought a sound bar &
been happy, but I can live with mediocre sound]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch)
and the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch).

(polaroid? westinghouse? Can you hear me laughing up here?)

Because those brands (and those sizes) are all that you americans can
afford these days...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 4:39*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Even the big ones will likely sound flat,

Except they don't.

as the speakers are really
there to simply allow the thing to be demonstrated in the store;

Wrong... and that makes no sense.

most
consumers are going to at a minimum use one of those "sound bar" things
and really the majority will be using an A/V receiver/amp with a set of
small (and some people will go large!) 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

What leads you to believe you know these things you obviously have no
method of learning...?
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sjouke Burry s@b wrote:
cj wrote in :

I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

Those flatscreens are the worst speaker boxes you can imagine.
Put two speakerboxes and a small amplifier on it.

Even worse shoved into an entertainment box. Many flat screens are designed
o be on a wall. Some tvs will have forward facing speakers, but low
frequency output is what a stereo or home theater is about.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

CJ:

Make sure any "virtual surround" or other enhancements are off in the audio menu. Sound leveler should be ok - cures the common LOUD commercial.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

and really the majority will be using an A/V receiver/amp

Mine is a Denon AVR 3300.

with a set of small (and some people will go large!) 5.1 or
7.1 speakers.

I don't have a center, or LFE (don't need an LFE).

But my front speakers are Paradigm Studio 100v.2 and rear are Studio
60's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
cj wrote:

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch)
and the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch).

(polaroid? westinghouse? Can you hear me laughing up here?)

Because those brands (and those sizes) are all that you americans can
afford these days...

Hmmm,
Don't talk like jackass. I don't know how rich you are but up here in
Canada there are many poor folks too. I think you are in the East some
where. We Weterners are richer than you. How do you feel now? Maybe the
OP is a type of person who lives within his means rather than running up
the plastic cards here and there over his head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote:
[...]

Tone control? Really good amp/speakers needs only volume control.
If you want to have good sound system, sky is the limit for the cost.
Also real good pro level Tv does not have audio amp inside or speakers.
It is just a display panel fed by amps. and video/audio processor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Aug 2012 17:50:55 GMT, Sjouke Burry s@b wrote:

cj wrote in :

I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

Those flatscreens are the worst speaker boxes you can imagine.
Put two speakerboxes and a small amplifier on it.

Easy cheap way to check if the speakers are poor. Plug in a set of
headphones and see how it sounds.

BTW I use several sets with no cable box. I have only one cable box on
my main flatscreen (200+ channels), but my other 6 TVs in other rooms
are plugged directly into the cable line, no box. I'm fortunate in
that Cox here provides 70+ analog channels and all the local channels
(in both analog and HD). I know in other areas they have removed that
capability and require a box for each set. I'm sure it will happen
here eventually but am keeping my fingers crossed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote in :

[...]

Surprised they keep the analog channels because they eat up so much
bandwidth. The holy grail for cable companies was being able to dump
analog to avoid building out new higher bandwidth systems. We have
comcast and they have maybe a dozen channels in clear QAM. They removed
all analog at least a year ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2012 9:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
cj wrote:

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch)
and the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch).

(polaroid? westinghouse? Can you hear me laughing up here?)

Because those brands (and those sizes) are all that you americans can
afford these days...

Hmmm,
Don't talk like jackass. I don't know how rich you are but up here in
Canada there are many poor folks too. I think you are in the East some
where. We Weterners are richer than you. How do you feel now? Maybe the
OP is a type of person who lives within his means rather than running up
the plastic cards here and there over his head.

You have to understand. Even though you are Canadian he knows more about
Canada than you and everyone else there. Troubled people tend to live in
delusional worlds like that...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 13:07:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 19, 3:37*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:24:00 -0400, cj wrote:

Can you reveal the model? Some flat panels have speakers acceptable *for
average needs and many don't. You may have the latter.
The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch) and
the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch). Both have a hollow
sound, no mater how much bass and treble adjusting I do.
Thanks, CJ

Both are low end brands, possibly made on the same assembly line in
China. *Go for a Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc. and you may have better
luck. *Be sure to listen to one in the store for comparison.

And also, it's a 22" which I would think would limit the
sound quality as well. Even in a 42" the sound isn't
real great. Hard to imagine it's due to the cable signal,
if he has a decent pic.

I didn't read the entire thread yet but does this 22" have the ability
to connect external speakers? I'm thinking that might improve the
sound to some degree. Of course if he's on a budget, this is an
added expense perhaps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 19:04:24 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 8/19/2012 3:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:24:00 -0400, cj wrote:

Can you reveal the model? Some flat panels have speakers acceptable for
average needs and many don't. You may have the latter.
The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch) and
the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch). Both have a hollow
sound, no mater how much bass and treble adjusting I do.
Thanks, CJ

Both are low end brands, possibly made on the same assembly line in
China. Go for a Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc. and you may have better
luck. Be sure to listen to one in the store for comparison.

I agree. Neither old company is probably making the TV's but putting
their names on cheap Chinese junk.

Not even the same companies. They sold the names for the consumer electronics
market years ago.

I just bought a couple of HD Samsungs and quality is terrific. Sound is
fine but if you want more of a surround sound seller recommended speakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 19:52:51 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
cj wrote:

The first tv that I bought and returned was a Polaroid ( 22 inch)
and the one I have now is a Westinghouse (22 inch).

(polaroid? westinghouse? Can you hear me laughing up here?)

Because those brands (and those sizes) are all that you americans can
afford these days...

Hmmm,
Don't talk like jackass.

HomoGay can't help it. He is a jackass.

I don't know how rich you are but up here in
Canada there are many poor folks too. I think you are in the East some
where. We Weterners are richer than you. How do you feel now? Maybe the
OP is a type of person who lives within his means rather than running up
the plastic cards here and there over his head.

Don't worry, we don't think all Canucks are the same. ...but we do wonder
sometimes. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Because those brands (and those sizes) are all that you
americans can afford these days...

Hmmm,
Don't talk like jackass.

You (Tony) are the jackass. If you paid attention to current events,
you'd know that a record number of americans are now living below the
so-called "poverty" line.

I don't know how rich you are but up here in Canada there
are many poor folks too. I think you are in the East some
where. We Weterners are richer than you. How do you feel now?

I feel pretty good (and pretty wealthy).

Maybe all these ****ing paki's and other moozlems that have moved into
Toronto (and other large urban centers in Ontario) will go back to their
own stone-age countries where they came from when they can't get a job
here. That will then have the effect of raising the median income of
Ontario back to being higher than Alberta.

Maybe the OP is a type of person who lives within his means
rather than running up the plastic cards here and there over
his head.

Well if his means are so low, then he shouldn't complain about sound
quality if all he can afford is a piece-of-**** brand of TV. Maybe he
shouldn't buy so much iCrap. Maybe he shouldn't be paying a fortune for
expensive cell-phone or cable/satellite TV. Maybe he should prioritize
how he spends his money.

You have to understand. Even though you are Canadian he knows more
about Canada than you and everyone else there.

This wasn't a discussion about internal income differences within
Canada. But tony took it on that tangent - and regional differences
doesn't mean that we're STILL not better off than you shmucks down
south, with your medicare and social security and national debt
hand-wringing. It's all we hear up here. Bunch of babies you are - you
got yourself into a mess with your stupid "wars" and now you're crying
like babies screaming about how you're going to keep giving yourselves
medicare and social security. Because your own saved-up money is used
to buy iCrap stuff and nothing else.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

On 8/19/2012 1:41 PM, cj wrote:
I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

just bought a pair of pc speakers for 12 bucks out the door. sound
quality is much better...thanks for the input gang

CJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:35:07 -0400, cj wrote:

just bought a pair of pc speakers for 12 bucks out the door. sound
quality is much better...thanks for the input gang

CJ

You might tinker with the sound menu on the TV and see if the sound
can be improved a little more. For example, turn the internal
speakers off and only use the external speakers. Check other settings
in the manual for explanations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:37:18 -0400, George
wrote:

On 8/20/2012 12:03 AM, AaronL wrote:
On 19 Aug 2012 17:50:55 GMT, Sjouke Burry s@b wrote:

BTW I use several sets with no cable box. I have only one cable box on
my main flatscreen (200+ channels), but my other 6 TVs in other rooms
are plugged directly into the cable line, no box. I'm fortunate in
that Cox here provides 70+ analog channels and all the local channels
(in both analog and HD). I know in other areas they have removed that
capability and require a box for each set. I'm sure it will happen
here eventually but am keeping my fingers crossed.

Surprised they keep the analog channels because they eat up so much
bandwidth.

Yes I'm surprised that my analog channels are still available too.
Awhile back Cox (here) advertised this analog capability. Something
like subscribe with one cable box and get basic cable in all your
other rooms free. But I haven't seen that ad for awhile. Currently Cox
only has the 2 satellite companies for competition and satellite can't
offer free TV in as many rooms as you want so that may be an incentive
to keep it. But still, as I said I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The holy grail for cable companies was being able to dump
analog to avoid building out new higher bandwidth systems.

Well in the past years Cox has added lots of HD channels. I think I
now have around 75 or so. They moved them from the 700s to the 1000s.
I don't understand all I know about this, but do they need to send all
those digital channels to me at once or does my cable box tell them
what channel I want and they only need to send that one? That would
cut down on the bandwidth a lot.

We have
comcast and they have maybe a dozen channels in clear QAM. They removed
all analog at least a year ago.

Yes I have a modern flatscreen *without* a box in one room and I get
those 70 analog cable based channels, plus all the local channels in
both digital HD and digital SD. Also a smattering of digital SD cable
based channels like military, wgn, cspan ect. It totals 126 channels
if I remember right. Course my older sets only see the analog
channels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:38:39 -0700, AaronL
wrote:

I don't understand all I know about this, but do they need to send all
those digital channels to me at once or does my cable box tell them
what channel I want and they only need to send that one? That would
cut down on the bandwidth a lot.

They stream what you are watching. I had Cox for 16 years and glad I
left. They called it HD, but keep in mind they compress the stream --
not really, really true HD.

You can see the difference in compressed HD v non-compressed HD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't understand all I know about this, but do they need to send all
those digital channels to me at once or does my cable box tell them
what channel I want and they only need to send that one? That would
cut down on the bandwidth a lot.

They stream what you are watching.

Ah. So I imagine that one stream uses lots less bandwidth than all
those analog channels they now supply me with. When they finally do
eliminate them, what will they use the extra space for? More
channels? Geeze, I hardly watch 10% of the available channels I have
now.

I had Cox for 16 years and glad I left.

What didn't you like? Where did you go? Here they're my only cable TV
choice, and my only cable ISP (non-DSL) choice. I have been with Cox
for TV for around 15 years and only recently for landline and ISP.
Really no complaints, very few outages. The cable box failed once and
they came to the house to replace it the next day. Since going with
Cox for landline and ISP there have been no problems. But then my old
landline/ISP company Century Link was equally reliable. Cost was the
main reason for my change.

They called it HD, but keep in mind they compress the stream --
not really, really true HD.

So I've read. But the HD picture as supplied is quite acceptable to
me. But not being a sports fan I'm perhaps more forgiving for most of
the standard TV programs/movies.

You can see the difference in compressed HD v non-compressed HD.

Yes, I can receive over-the-air local HD channels here with an indoor
antenna and there is a noticeable difference. Do the satellite
companies provide a better HD picture than Cox or are they as
compressed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't understand all I know about this, but do they need to send all
those digital channels to me at once or does my cable box tell them
what channel I want and they only need to send that one? That would
cut down on the bandwidth a lot.

They stream what you are watching. I had Cox for 16 years and glad I
left. They called it HD, but keep in mind they compress the stream --
not really, really true HD.

You can see the difference in compressed HD v non-compressed HD.
--

All HDTV is compressed. I have seen some of the more compressed versions.
I'm pretty sure I see a better picture on comcast vs direct tv. I have seen

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
On 8/19/2012 1:41 PM, cj wrote:
I recently bought a new flat screen tv that I hooked up directly to the
cable line coming into the house( no cable box). The sound quality was
crummy so I returned it and went with a different manufacturer and still
the sound quality is bad...sounds like its coming from an empty can,
that is, it sounds hollow. I am wondering if its because I don,t have a
cable box. I tried to tweak the bass and treble but it still sounds
hollow, for lack of a better word. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, CJ

just bought a pair of pc speakers for 12 bucks out the door. sound
quality is much better...thanks for the input gang

CJ

You can get pretty good sound for the buck with pc speakers, which should
also include subwoofer. Really good sound requires at least a couple
hundred bucks just for mini monitors. Plus sub, plus Amp/ decoder Lowest
cost around $700 but not surround. Figure another $600 for surround. A
minimal cost system that would be quality sound. The price only goes up for
better system.

Then there are used systems, and if you know how to make speakers, it Still
costs a bunch.

I had a visio. Had cheap subwoofer hooked up. Was ok. Had front firing
speakers.
Then I got a coby. No audio output except digital. Not currently using that
sub. It also has those speakers that bounce off wall, except the tv is not
mounted flat on wall. Currently using cardboard reflectors under tv so I
get some kind of decent sound.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wrote this the other day. I still stand by it.

Hmm. I recently moved from Cox Cable (3Mbps) to Century Link. ADSL
and promised 10Mbps. I get an average of 8.x Mbps down and ~ 1.x Mbps
up.

The quality of lines, new connectors and the router - Cisco (includes
wireless) all make a difference in ADSL speed quality. This comes down
a fiber optic line, then copper to the house.

DVR, Set top box for each TV, price lock for 5 years, $150.00 gift
card, phone line with all the whistles free, etc.

I'm very happy compared to Cox Cable.

.... point is I saved money.