Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do any of the realtors use broadband as a selling point for homes?

On 8/19/12 9:45 AM, Harry K wrote:

Yep. 1 mile down the road from me is one of the biggest John Deere
dealerships in this area. The fiber optic rus right by them - no
tap. I can see the tower they use for internet from my bedroom
windwo.

Harry K

That tower might be for their GPS. It could be a correction tower
for the farmers' tracking systems. Farm equipment can steer itself now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 9:53*am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Aug 18, 9:34 pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:23:06 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Aug 18, 10:26 am, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:48:39 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:

I did get broadband through century link - hah! The promies 5 meg.
Tech stepped otu of truck an said:
"I don't care what they promised you, you ain't gonna get 5 megs,
mayby 1 meg". He tuned up every junction box from my house to town
and got me 640k on a good day. Still beat dial-up by a mile.
Neighber down the road from my 1/4 mile tried for broadband. Tech: No
way!

Harry K

Hmm. I recently moved from Cox Cable (3Mbps) to Century Link. ADSL
and promised 10Mbps. I get an average of 8.x Mbps down and ~ 1.x Mbps
up.

The quality of lines, new connectors and the router - Cisco (includes
wireless) all make a difference in ADSL speed quality. This comes down
a fiber optic line, then copper to the house.

DVR, Set top box for each TV, price lock for 5 years, $150.00 gift
card, phone line with all the whistles free, etc.

I'm very happy compared to Cox Cable.
--

That is the annoying part here. A huge fiber optic line runs right
past my house just 100 " away. It is the major feed between towns, no

You think they can tap that just for you?

Of course I don't. Why did you think I did?

What's the point of the whine about it running right by your house, if you
know it can't be used? *It might just as well be a hundred miles away?

What's the point of your post? You just bored or sumpin?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 09:42:32 -0400, George
wrote:

On 8/19/2012 3:44 AM, AaronL wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 01:21:16 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

Question is how accurate is that test? I'm only paying for "up to"
15Mbps down. Some days it reads as high as 35 Mbps down. I don't know
whether to be happy or skeptical.

Tests are fooled by what comcast calls "powerboost" . Basically the
first part of a connection is allowed to go through at a much faster
than your rated speed. So it fools the sppedtest sites and is great for
bragging rights for people who don't realize what is happening.

Ah. that explains it then. I see Cox advertising something like that
but didn't think about it affecting the speed test. Actually in
everyday use I noticed little difference between my current Cox cable
15Mbs service and my former Century Link DSL 7Mbs service.
Surprisingly with bundling (TV, phone, ISP) the Cox service was
cheaper. Competition is good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

.... called Network and Internet Latency (Lag time) in Windows

You can use these methods to do your own testing:

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-Network-and-Internet-Latency-%28Lag%29-in-Microsoft-Windows

If you use the IP number of the site for speed testing you can check
the latency...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 00:44:01 -0400, "
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:36:59 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
I sure would have to think hard about moving to an area without
broadband. We have relatives that just bought a house a year ago and
they are forced to use Hughes satellite. We call that area dial up
country.

I don't see an entry for broadband on the MLS style sheets. But if a realtor
doesn't mention it, she should.

Don't believe them. Agents don't know and will tell you what you want to
hear. BTDT.

I would think you should be okay in most metropolitan areas. I'm in Houston
and www.speedtest.net just gave me the following numbers:

Ping: 11msec
Down: 24.89Mbps
Up: 3.45Mbps

Over a Comcast cable residential service.

AL AT&T DSL: Ping: 87msec
Down: .70Mb/sec
Up: .11Mb/sec

Great, huh! If I remember, I'll report my GA numbers Monday but they're
usually about 4-5x that, still not spectacular.

Interestingly, my cell phone (4G, at least that's what it's claiming,
currently):

Ping: 73msec
Download: 1.91Mb
Upload: 6.69Mb ==!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:16:43 -0400, "
wrote:

Interestingly, my cell phone (4G, at least that's what it's claiming,
currently):

Ping: 73msec
Download: 1.91Mb
Upload: 6.69Mb ==!!

Great if you upload all the time :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:21:45 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Aug 19, 9:53*am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's precisely what I was asking you when I wrote, "You think they can tap
that just for you?".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I sure would have to think hard about moving to an area without
broadband. We have relatives that just bought a house a year ago and
they are forced to use Hughes satellite. We call that area dial up
country.

I don't see an entry for broadband on the MLS style sheets. But if a realtor
doesn't mention it, she should.

Don't believe them. Agents don't know and will tell you what you want to
hear. BTDT.

I would think you should be okay in most metropolitan areas. I'm in Houston
and www.speedtest.net just gave me the following numbers:

Ping: 11msec
Down: 24.89Mbps
Up: 3.45Mbps

Over a Comcast cable residential service.

AL AT&T DSL: Ping: 87msec
Down: .70Mb/sec
Up: .11Mb/sec

GA AT&T DSL: Ping: 53msec
Down: 3.52Mb/sec
Up: .28Mb/sec

Great, huh! If I remember, I'll report my GA numbers Monday but they're
usually about 4-5x that, still not spectacular.

Upload still sucks and often the SMTP server will simply time out when sending
a large file.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 4:39*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:21:45 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Aug 19, 9:53 am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Still bored I see.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2012 7:39 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:21:45 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Aug 19, 9:53 am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

He just stated the facts.
He never said he thought they could tap it.