Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Exhaust CFM from central A/C Unit

I own a townhouse where the A/C units are under a raised deck (if the
owner has installed A/C). To get sufficient intake and exhaust flow the
owners have cut various shaped holes in the deck siding and covered the
huge openings with wire mesh which look terrible.

I had an A/C person out today because I'm thinking of putting in A/C (I
don't live there, but the tenants have been bugging me). He was not
encouraging. First, he said it was a terrible location for the units,
something I already knew. Second, he said that most of the existing
units had been put in without permits and that if he pulled permits for
a new installation then the city would see all the code violations on
the other units and make them be corrected (which is something I would
not be opposed to since the current ).

The thing I want to figure out is how to replace all these awful looking
siding panels on the decks but still get sufficient air-flow for the
units. I can't find any information on the CFM of the exhaust of central
A/C units.

The panels are about 30" x 30" made out of wood siding. I was thinking
that we could build panels with these
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Intake-Louver-5NKJ3 and paint
them to match the deck color, but I don't know if they'll restrict the
airflow too much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
[...]

What is the deck siding. You néed a shroud to the vent so all exit air does
not mix with intake. Sure it will slow it some. I think my unit has at
least 1500 to 2000 cfm.

My deck has no siding panels, as it pretty high. Only code here is must be
36 inches between top of deck and unit. Air was in first. After deck
installed I noticed some inefficiency. I used a u shaped air diverter to
get all expelled air from unit, out awY from deck walkway.

Greg

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 8/6/2012 9:10 PM, gregz wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

What is the deck siding.

It's plywood siding with grooves. About 30" square panels, screwed into
the deck supports. I need to go back and take some pictures.

You néed a shroud to the vent so all exit air does
not mix with intake. Sure it will slow it some. I think my unit has at
least 1500 to 2000 cfm.

The type of unit will have the intake on one side and the exhaust on the
other so the mixing should be minimal, but it could be shrouded. One of
the current installations has another electric fan at the panel to pull
air out.

My deck has no siding panels, as it pretty high. Only code here is must be
36 inches between top of deck and unit. Air was in first. After deck
installed I noticed some inefficiency. I used a u shaped air diverter to
get all expelled air from unit, out awY from deck walkway.

So your A/C unit has the exhaust at the top? All of the A/C units
currently installed at this complex have the intake on one side and the
exhaust on the other side. There is no way we could get 36" from the top
of the A/C unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
[...]

You may be trying to solve the wrong problem. Can you put the condensing
unit elsewhere? Like on the roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 8:52*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

unit elsewhere? Like on the roof?- Hide quoted text -

A wood lattice type material is often used to cover
the bottoms of raised decks. It sure would be a lot
cheaper and I think look better than louvers.
How much it impacts the AC would depend on
how the AC is oriented, which way the air blows,
how much open area there is, etc. And then there
is the issue of what code says about all this.....
If you're going to pull permits, I'd start by asking
the code officials as what they say is going to mean
a lot more than what any of us think.

Also, with townhouse type arrangements there is
typically a homeowner's association which has
control over outside issues like this. Have you
checked with them? I would think it would look like
hell if each owner did anything they wanted instead
of having a uniform look.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 8/7/2012 6:04 AM, wrote:

A wood lattice type material is often used to cover
the bottoms of raised decks. It sure would be a lot
cheaper and I think look better than louvers.
How much it impacts the AC would depend on
how the AC is oriented, which way the air blows,
how much open area there is, etc. And then there
is the issue of what code says about all this.....
If you're going to pull permits, I'd start by asking
the code officials as what they say is going to mean
a lot more than what any of us think.

Also, with townhouse type arrangements there is
typically a homeowner's association which has
control over outside issues like this. Have you
checked with them? I would think it would look like
hell if each owner did anything they wanted instead
of having a uniform look.

Id looks like hell now. So we need to come up with something that isn't
terrible ugly. While cost is a consideration, the way it is now is
devaluing the units so if anyone tries to sell they'd lose far more in
reduced value than spending even $1000 per deck to solve the problem.
This is Silicon Valley, where a townhouse that should sell for $80,000
sells for $350,000. I should have sold at the peak when they were
selling for $100K more!

Wood lattice would work as long as it provided sufficient air flow. I
think the louvers might restrict it less, but the lattice could replace
the entire 30" x 30" panel.

The HOA is essentially me and one other person. I haven't lived in this
place for 18 years and if I had been there I wouldn't have let all this
happen. We can essentially push through anything we want. We may just
pay for it out of reserves since it affects everyone. Even those without
A/C would benefit from their units being ready to add it.

Meanwhile, I suggest that my tenants get a portable A/C unit for the 2
weeks a year or so when A/C is really needed. I already told them that
if they had me put in A/C that the rent would increase slightly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 10:55*am, SMS wrote:
On 8/7/2012 6:04 AM, wrote:

[...]

if they had me put in A/C that the rent would increase slightly.- Hide quoted text -

Another point here would be that the airflow implications
for that condenser unit in silicon valley will be a lot less
significant than if it were in say Florida. Given that
location I would think the main concern is going to be
compliance with codes and what you do with regard to
that.

Old unit central A/C questions.. The Henchman[_6_] Home Repair 1 June 8th 11 01:35 AM
Central AC outside unit freezing up [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 4th 07 10:50 PM
Bath Exhaust/Light/Heat combo unit [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 14th 06 06:49 AM
Central air unit fan not turning. gelsbabe Home Ownership 6 June 11th 06 08:51 PM
central air unit - used goguard Home Ownership 1 November 22nd 05 12:50 PM