Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
goguard

Default central air unit - used

I have been trying to save for a new central heat and air unit but
haven't yet. I have an opportunity to purchase a 12 year old Rheem unit
that was replaced only because they remodeled and needed a bigger unit.
It was working fine when removed. What are the chances I could get
another couple years out of this unit? I could go with either a 2 or 2
1/2 ton in my 11 sq foot house, will put in a 2 1/2, but it's a 2 ton
that I had that quit working.

I know I will have the install expense but part of this will be for
rewiring as I only had a central air unit before. If this old unit
lasts but a year, the labor if I have to replace will not include the
need for the rewiring.

For a couple hundred bucks, would you chance the unit lasting a year or
more?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
briz

goguard wrote:
I have been trying to save for a new central heat and air unit but
haven't yet. I have an opportunity to purchase a 12 year old Rheem unit
that was replaced only because they remodeled and needed a bigger unit.
It was working fine when removed. What are the chances I could get
another couple years out of this unit? I could go with either a 2 or 2
1/2 ton in my 11 sq foot house, will put in a 2 1/2, but it's a 2 ton
that I had that quit working.

I know I will have the install expense but part of this will be for
rewiring as I only had a central air unit before. If this old unit
lasts but a year, the labor if I have to replace will not include the
need for the rewiring.

For a couple hundred bucks, would you chance the unit lasting a year or
more?

From the point of view of a professional, I would have to say save
your money and put it towards a new high eff. unit. That rheem is at
the end of its useable life span.being 12 yrs old its probably not more
than a 10 SEER at best and after the first of the year the Fed Gov.
will only allow 12 SEER or better to be installed.
Many dealers have financing options as well as Sears (Carrier) and
Home Depot.(Trane).If I was in your shoes I would buy the new unit and
only have the hastle and expence of the changeout once instead of two.
Hope this helps. Steve