Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Exhaust CFM from central A/C Unit

SMS wrote:
I own a townhouse where the A/C units are under a raised deck (if the
owner has installed A/C). To get sufficient intake and exhaust flow the
owners have cut various shaped holes in the deck siding and covered the
huge openings with wire mesh which look terrible.

I had an A/C person out today because I'm thinking of putting in A/C (I
don't live there, but the tenants have been bugging me). He was not
encouraging. First, he said it was a terrible location for the units,
something I already knew. Second, he said that most of the existing units
had been put in without permits and that if he pulled permits for a new
installation then the city would see all the code violations on the other
units and make them be corrected (which is something I would not be
opposed to since the current ).

The thing I want to figure out is how to replace all these awful looking
siding panels on the decks but still get sufficient air-flow for the
units. I can't find any information on the CFM of the exhaust of central A/C units.

The panels are about 30" x 30" made out of wood siding. I was thinking
that we could build panels with these
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Intake-Louver-5NKJ3 and paint
them to match the deck color, but I don't know if they'll restrict the airflow too much.

What is the deck siding. You néed a shroud to the vent so all exit air does
not mix with intake. Sure it will slow it some. I think my unit has at
least 1500 to 2000 cfm.

My deck has no siding panels, as it pretty high. Only code here is must be
36 inches between top of deck and unit. Air was in first. After deck
installed I noticed some inefficiency. I used a u shaped air diverter to
get all expelled air from unit, out awY from deck walkway.

Greg

Greg