Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
gelsbabe

Default Central air unit fan not turning.

New homeowner, so sorry for being ignorant...

We have central air inside our house, however when i went to turn it
on, air come out of the vents, but it's just air, not cold air. When I
went outside to check the central air unit, i noticed that the fan was
not turning. I was told that there's a switch for it to turn it on?
Is that true? I have a Lennox elite series if that helps.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

On 30 May 2006 06:43:18 -0700, "gelsbabe"
wrote:

We have central air inside our house, however when i went to turn it
on, air come out of the vents, but it's just air, not cold air. When I
went outside to check the central air unit, i noticed that the fan was
not turning. I was told that there's a switch for it to turn it on?
Is that true? I have a Lennox elite series if that helps.

Have you checked to make sure the circuit breaker for the AC is on? I
had to flip mine on to get my outdoor compressor to work this year
after flipping it off over the winter.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Craig

"gelsbabe" wrote...

New homeowner, so sorry for being ignorant...

We have central air inside our house, however when i went to turn it
on, air come out of the vents, but it's just air, not cold air. When I
went outside to check the central air unit, i noticed that the fan was
not turning. I was told that there's a switch for it to turn it on?
Is that true? I have a Lennox elite series if that helps.

First, check your home's circuit breakers. An AC unit will most likely
have its own 240v breaker. Is it on or off? If it looks half-on, turn it
off, then turn it back on.

Second, look at the wiring coming from the house to the exterior AC unit.
Many areas require that it have a "disconnect" near the exterior unit, a
small box with a "plug" that can be pulled out to totally de-energize the
exterior unit to avoid surprises to personnel working on it.

In any event, given that you're a new homeowner, and assuming this isn't a
brand new home, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a heating/AC contractor
come out and do a checkup on both the heating and AC system. Even if you
find the "switch" to make the AC work, if you don't know when the unit was
last serviced by the past owner, it may be well overdue for a checkup and
filter replacement. The $75-100 or so you pay for the service call may be
made up for with increased efficiency over the next year or more. And if it
turns out that the AC unit is broken, you'll need the service call anyway.
Hmm, did you hire a house inspector prior to purchasing the home? He or she
should have confirmed the function of the unit and if not working, given you
the ability to require the seller to fix the defect prior to closing.

Craig

PS--I assume that you've already made sure your home's thermostat that
controls the furnace/AC is set for AC.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
gelsbabe

Thanks alot for the useful info....

The home was inspected, and everything turned out ok. So I'm assuming
that the unit works, and that the inspector just left it off. I'll
check the circuit breakers tonight, and hopefully it's just that. It's
just that I moved in during the winter, so I wouldn't know if it was
off. Again, information provided is very much appreciated

Posted to misc.consumers.house
gelsbabe

gelsbabe wrote:
Thanks alot for the useful info....

The home was inspected, and everything turned out ok. So I'm assuming
that the unit works, and that the inspector just left it off. I'll
check the circuit breakers tonight, and hopefully it's just that. It's
just that I moved in during the winter, so I wouldn't know if it was
off. Again, information provided is very much appreciated

UPDATE: Checked the circuit breaker, it was in the OFF position, so I
switched it on. Still, the fan is not turning. Weird....

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Travis Jordan

gelsbabe wrote:
UPDATE: Checked the circuit breaker, it was in the OFF position, so I
switched it on. Still, the fan is not turning. Weird....

Did you wait a few minutes? Most A/C systems have a 5 minute or longer
time delay to prevent 'short cycling' of the compressor when the system
is turned off due to a momentary power failure.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I am going to follow this thread closely as I am seriously considering
the same lennox system... and I am curious to know what the reason for
your unit not working.