Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna

Default Slow death of our elderly central AC unit.

Hi all!

Our home (currently rented out) in Tampa has central air. About four years
ago, we were told the AC system was at the end of it's useful life, age
wise. We put some money away to replace it, at which point it had no
problemes until yesterday. I am still waiting for the verdict from the
repair guy, but I have to assume that the time has come to replace the unit.
The house is one floor, 1400 sf, cinderblock construction, terazzo floors,
overhead vents for AC. the unit itself is outside. Can anyone recommend a
decent, mid-range central AC unit? What should I look for?

Thanks!

donna

Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Kendrick

Assuming that you don't intend to sell the house anytime soon, here's
the recommendation:

Central A/C has an outside unit (that you can see) and an inside unit
(typically in the attic space). Given that the current equipment has
given good service, contact local dealers who carry that same brand of
unit. It may be that some of the total system does not need to be
replaced.
Once you have at least one reasonable recommendation and cost
estimate, get 6-10 other bids to do the same work and take your pick.
New equipment must be at least an efficiency rating of SEER 12-13
which may allow you to reduce utility costs to run the same sized
unit.