Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $0.76 Black and Decker trimmer part...

and it's $13 shipping fee for the SLOWEST way (14 days minimum) or $28
for 2 day air.

The guy on ebay selling the part for $5.00 used might be a better deal
cause he only charges $6.00 for UPS shipping...

Black and Decker, sigh.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/06/2012 08:06 AM, Duesenberg wrote:
and it's $13 shipping fee for the SLOWEST way (14 days minimum) or $28
for 2 day air.

The guy on ebay selling the part for $5.00 used might be a better deal
cause he only charges $6.00 for UPS shipping...

Black and Decker, sigh.......

Did you already try your local repair shops? They might have it in
stock or at least not have to charge shipping if it comes in another
order.

Otherwise you might find it online somewhere else.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote in
:

On 08/06/2012 08:06 AM, Duesenberg wrote:
and it's $13 shipping fee for the SLOWEST way (14 days minimum) or $28
for 2 day air.

The guy on ebay selling the part for $5.00 used might be a better deal
cause he only charges $6.00 for UPS shipping...

Black and Decker, sigh.......

Did you already try your local repair shops? They might have it in
stock or at least not have to charge shipping if it comes in another
order.

Otherwise you might find it online somewhere else.

Jon

You used to be able to order B&D parts at your local DeWalt authorized
service center. you might check to see if you have one in your area.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2012 11:50 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote in
:

On 08/06/2012 08:06 AM, Duesenberg wrote:
and it's $13 shipping fee for the SLOWEST way (14 days minimum) or $28
for 2 day air.

The guy on ebay selling the part for $5.00 used might be a better deal
cause he only charges $6.00 for UPS shipping...

Black and Decker, sigh.......

Did you already try your local repair shops? They might have it in
stock or at least not have to charge shipping if it comes in another
order.

Otherwise you might find it online somewhere else.

Jon

You used to be able to order B&D parts at your local DeWalt authorized
service center. you might check to see if you have one in your area.

The "authorized" Dewalt/Black&Decker/PorterCable sells the part to me
the consumer for $15.00 PLUS tax if I pick up. They are the largest
Black and Decker service centre in Canada but they don't stock this
particular part so it's a 3 week wait they said. I haven't checked out
any others in my part of Ontario but this large one closest one is 35
minutes away and the tolls for the hiway will be about 3 or 4 bucks.
Taking a non-toll hiway will add about 15 minutes each way.

Local service shop in my town has dealt with Black and Decker in past
but says Black and Decker needs a minimum $50 order before Black and
Decker ships out, and since he rarely ever fixes Black and Decker or
Dewalt parts, it might take him weeks to compile a minimum order. He
said He'll charge me 9 or 10 bucks but he looked, sounded, and acted
like he wants nothing to do with Dewalt/BandD.

I'm contacting some buddies who might need black and decker parts to at
least make the shipping charge worthwhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's what I was going to write.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

Did you already try your local repair shops? They might have it in
stock or at least not have to charge shipping if it comes in another
order.

Otherwise you might find it online somewhere else.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Duesenberg wrote the following on 8/6/2012 11:06 AM (ET):
and it's $13 shipping fee for the SLOWEST way (14 days minimum) or $28
for 2 day air.

The guy on ebay selling the part for $5.00 used might be a better deal
cause he only charges $6.00 for UPS shipping...

Black and Decker, sigh.......

No one has asked what the part is yet?
It may be the same part as used on another brand of trimmer.
It might also be a part of an item that can be eliminated with another
replacement item like the string head, etc.
Maybe someone here even has the part. For $.076 it can't be too elaborate.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2012 2:02 PM, willshak wrote:
Duesenberg wrote the following on 8/6/2012 11:06 AM (ET):
and it's $13 shipping fee for the SLOWEST way (14 days minimum) or $28
for 2 day air.

The guy on ebay selling the part for $5.00 used might be a better deal
cause he only charges $6.00 for UPS shipping...

Black and Decker, sigh.......

No one has asked what the part is yet?
It may be the same part as used on another brand of trimmer.
It might also be a part of an item that can be eliminated with another
replacement item like the string head, etc.
Maybe someone here even has the part. For $.076 it can't be too elaborate.

Cover plate for the spool/line wheel. Apparently I bought the only
model of black and decker to use this plate. Supposedly a craftsman
cordless model, made by B and D took, the same piece of plastic. Will
try bugging Sears tomorrow but the local Sears here has a very poor
reputation for helping people with craftsmen questions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 15:34:05 -0400, Duesenberg wrote:

[...]

You might try a Sears parts and repair facility instead of a regular store.
Moderate to large cities usually have them (check the yellow pages). The
retail stores are useless for these sorts of things. I've found their parts
and repair stores pretty good. If they don't have it, shipping has been quite
reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Duesenberg wrote the following on 8/6/2012 8:29 PM (ET):
On 8/6/2012 6:50 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 17:05:39 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/6/2012 4:46 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Cover plate for the spool/line wheel. Apparently I bought the only
model of black and decker to use this plate. Supposedly a craftsman
cordless model, made by B and D took, the same piece of plastic. Will
try bugging Sears tomorrow but the local Sears here has a very poor
reputation for helping people with craftsmen questions.

You might try a Sears parts and repair facility instead of a regular
store.
Moderate to large cities usually have them (check the yellow
pages). The
retail stores are useless for these sorts of things. I've found
their parts
and repair stores pretty good. If they don't have it, shipping has
been quite
reasonable.

And if that fails, simply replacing the head w/ one off the shelf at the
local Ace will probably bring more joy...

Good point.

That's a good idea!

I replaced that original reel head that required a tap to feed more
string out with one bought at Lowe's. The one I have now takes 2 pieces
of string about 8" long that are fed in on one side of the head until
the end comes out the other side. I just keep a couple of extra pieces
in my pocket to change the string in the field.
There is currently an ad on the TV for a replacement reel that I might
try next. They show it cutting through a piece of plywood (very thin, I
might add) and banging the head against a wire fence.

I think it was this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI03eC5mq_M

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 6, 2012 9:32:33 PM UTC-4, willshak wrote:
There is currently an ad on the TV for a replacement reel that I might
try next. They show it cutting through a piece of plywood (very thin, I
might add) and banging the head against a wire fence.

I've seen that ad, but I always thought half the point of a "string" trimmer was that you didn't have to worry about damaging things while trimming. Why would you want a head that will peel that bark off the base of a tree? To save a few dollars a year on string?

Of course, if you don't have any trees or sheds or sprinklers...maybe it makes sense...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:23:53 -0400, Duesenberg wrote:

[...]

Where are you located? I go past my local B&D / Dewalt repair depot
4 times a week. Give me the part number and I'll see what I can do for
you here in Kitchener/Waterloo
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Fishel wrote the following on 8/7/2012 1:59 AM (ET):
On Monday, August 6, 2012 9:32:33 PM UTC-4, willshak wrote:
There is currently an ad on the TV for a replacement reel that I might
try next. They show it cutting through a piece of plywood (very thin, I
might add) and banging the head against a wire fence.

I've seen that ad, but I always thought half the point of a "string" trimmer was that you didn't have to worry about damaging things while trimming. Why would you want a head that will peel that bark off the base of a tree? To save a few dollars a year on string?

Of course, if you don't have any trees or sheds or sprinklers...maybe it makes sense...

Hitting any of those things would be a mistake. All string trimmers are
capable of doing damage to objects or even your body. In some cases even
killing a frog that was hidden in the grass near the pool.