Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Mabbett

Default Black & Decker hedge trimmer needs fixing

My Black & Decker GT 230 hedge trimmer (about 8 years old) has started
playing up. It's never previously complained about cutting thicker
stems, but recently, if anything beyond the most slender stems catches
in the teeth, it causes the motor to disengage from the cutting blade,
and race, - it's as though a clutch is slipping.

Can I fix this myself? Is it a job for a service centre, or will that
cost (almost) as much as a replacement?
--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Andy Mabbett wrote:
My Black & Decker GT 230 hedge trimmer (about 8 years old) has started
playing up. It's never previously complained about cutting thicker
stems, but recently, if anything beyond the most slender stems catches
in the teeth, it causes the motor to disengage from the cutting blade,
and race, - it's as though a clutch is slipping.

Can I fix this myself? Is it a job for a service centre, or will that
cost (almost) as much as a replacement?

Has it been sharpened recently?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message
My Black & Decker GT 230 hedge trimmer (about 8 years old) has started
playing up. It's never previously complained about cutting thicker
stems, but recently, if anything beyond the most slender stems catches
in the teeth, it causes the motor to disengage from the cutting blade,
and race, - it's as though a clutch is slipping.

Can I fix this myself? Is it a job for a service centre, or will that
cost (almost) as much as a replacement?

I suspect the little pinion is partially stripped in the reciprocating
gearbox bit which is under a plate you can remove, or there is too much play
in the components there. Mine went a bit iffy after attempting to cut a
steel cable. I did buy a replacement blade and sort of got it going but it's
hardly worth it. I also (quite separately) gave myself an apalling bout of
tennis elbow by using the thing one handed to reach across a hedge. I
eventually bought one of those where the handle extends out to improve the
reach. Well worth it IMHO, even if the blade is a bit bendy. I would take
the chance to upgrade!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

Grunff wrote:
Andy Mabbett wrote:
My Black & Decker GT 230 hedge trimmer (about 8 years old) has started
playing up. It's never previously complained about cutting thicker
stems, but recently, if anything beyond the most slender stems catches
in the teeth, it causes the motor to disengage from the cutting blade,
and race, - it's as though a clutch is slipping.
Can I fix this myself? Is it a job for a service centre, or will
that
cost (almost) as much as a replacement?

Has it been sharpened recently?

Maybe the blades have started to bind together over winter. Try some
Castrol motor-cycle chain wax, which will penetrate and soften up any
hardened gunge. Thinned Waxoyl would work too.

Or get yourself a cordless light sabre.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/part...door/Chainsaws

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.