Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Indoor backup generator

A friend of mine called, today. He would like to have a natural gas
generator, for power cuts. Due to crime, he'd like the generator in the
cellar.

Said generator should run:
Upright freezer
Side by side refrigerator
some lights
computer (he works at home, online)
furnace / winter
One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to do the
power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the cellar. I can
envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust out. Combustion air
isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

Said generator should run:
Upright freezer
Side by side refrigerator
some lights
computer (he works at home, online)
furnace / winter
One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to do
the
power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the cellar. I can
envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust out. Combustion air
isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Name and contact point of next of kin. Gen set in the basement is risky
even with proper ventaltion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Said generator should run:
Upright freezer
Side by side refrigerator
some lights
computer (he works at home, online)
furnace / winter
One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to do the
power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the cellar. I can
envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust out. Combustion air
isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

I've installed and serviced cellar/basement generators. You need what's
called a critical grade muffler. flexible connecting pipe and a good
location for the pipe to go through the wall to the outside. The
generator's own cooling fan can be used for exhausting air from the
basement but an extra vent fan running off generator power in a good
idea. Plenty of ventilation with automatic shutters is prudent as is
a carbon monoxide detector. A sheet metal shop can build the exhaust
duct along with flexible couplings for the genset cooling air. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

put outdoors in a semi enclosed area..... think rot iron fence
protection,and generator shouldnt be visible from road

or in a detached structure not connected to home,protected by security
system...... think a concrete block shed with extra good muffler for
super quiet operation.... run lines underground in conduit.....

and make it very hard to steal, bolted down with security bolts or
screws....... armored access door etc

if a thief wants anything bad enough they will steal it
Posted to alt.home.repair

Said generator should run:
Upright freezer
Side by side refrigerator
some lights
computer (he works at home, online)
furnace / winter
One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to do the
power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the cellar. I can
envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust out. Combustion air
isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I've seen them advertized on tv and always wondered the actual cost. I
wonder if you install in a basement, if you need to ever worry about
water in basement?

Posted to alt.home.repair

His cellar is humid, and damp. So, I was thinking that any metal exhaust
piping would probably rust out. The generator would come on, and kill
everyone in the building.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"NotMe" wrote in message ...

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Name and contact point of next of kin. Gen set in the basement is risky
even with proper ventaltion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My couple of concerns, were the exhaust piping. And, also what to do with
the motor heat. In the winter time, the heat would be used to help warm the
house. Summer, it needs to be piped out.

I'm thinking more and more, that a whole house generator in the cellar is a
bad idea.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I've installed and serviced cellar/basement generators. You need what's
called a critical grade muffler. flexible connecting pipe and a good
location for the pipe to go through the wall to the outside. The
generator's own cooling fan can be used for exhausting air from the
basement but an extra vent fan running off generator power in a good
idea. Plenty of ventilation with automatic shutters is prudent as is
a carbon monoxide detector. A sheet metal shop can build the exhaust
duct along with flexible couplings for the genset cooling air. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2012 6:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My couple of concerns, were the exhaust piping. And, also what to do with
the motor heat. In the winter time, the heat would be used to help warm the
house. Summer, it needs to be piped out.

I'm thinking more and more, that a whole house generator in the cellar is a
bad idea.

Usually, folks are more concerned with exhaust fumes than heat recovery
but if you're familiar with commercial kitchen hoods then you understand
make up air and the balancing act it takes for an efficient heat/cool
saving hood system. The same principles can be applied to basement
gensets. The exhaust needs to be piped in such a way that the fumes
don't come back into the structure. It can be piped outside so the
velocity of the exhaust carries it away or run up over the roof and
fitted with an appropriate means to keep rain and critters out of the
pipe. I have used exhaust flappers for such a purpose. If you're
concerned with generator thieves, I once had a custom dog house built
to camouflage a big Kohler genset for a customer. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:40*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
[...]

I would start with a visit to the local code office. And also a visit
the generator manufacturer websites for info to find out which models
may be rated for use indoors and see what their install instructions
say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Said generator should run:
Upright freezer
Side by side refrigerator
some lights
computer (he works at home, online)
furnace / winter
One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to do the
power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the cellar. I can
envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust out. Combustion air
isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

You need to know if your local codes permit it. Where I live, all
natural gas piping and/or appliance installations need a county
inspection green tag before it is legal to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Will the local AHD approve a cellar install in a residential dwelling?

Will the insurance company drop your friend's HO policy when they find out?

Will the insurance company pay future claims resulting from a genset fire?

Said generator should run:
Upright freezer
Side by side refrigerator
some lights
computer (he works at home, online)
furnace / winter
One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to do the
power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the cellar. I can
envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust out. Combustion air
isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Said generator should run:
Upright freezer
Side by side refrigerator
some lights
computer (he works at home, online)
furnace / winter
One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to
do the power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the
cellar. I can envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust
out. Combustion air isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

You need to know if your local codes permit it. Where I live, all
natural gas piping and/or appliance installations need a county
inspection green tag before it is legal to use.

some folks have been mounting their outside AC units on a garage roof or
2nd floor patio to avoid theft of the copper,perhaps you could do something
similar with your generator? you'd need a long chimney to keep the exhaust
from leaking back indoors and killing you.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2012 10:37 AM, Brock O'Bama wrote:
Will the local AHD approve a cellar install in a residential dwelling?

Will the insurance company drop your friend's HO policy when they find out?

Will the insurance company pay future claims resulting from a genset fire?

O'Bama Care will cover everything, you will never have to worry about
paying for anything again. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 11:41:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/5/2012 10:37 AM, Brock O'Bama wrote:
Will the local AHD approve a cellar install in a residential dwelling?

Will the insurance company drop your friend's HO policy when they find out?

Will the insurance company pay future claims resulting from a genset fire?

O'Bama Care will cover everything, you will never have to worry about
paying for anything again. ^_^

You won't even have to pay your mortgage or buy gas for your car. Of course,
you won't be able to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd also wondered about roof top install. Would be less theft prone. Also a
PIA to do oil changes, etc.

No more exhaust piping needed, compared to a unit beside the house.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...

some folks have been mounting their outside AC units on a garage roof or
2nd floor patio to avoid theft of the copper,perhaps you could do something
similar with your generator? you'd need a long chimney to keep the exhaust
from leaking back indoors and killing you.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Said generator should run:
Upright freezer
Side by side refrigerator
some lights
computer (he works at home, online)
furnace / winter
One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to do the
power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the cellar. I can
envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust out. Combustion air
isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

there are companies that sell natural gas capable fuel cell stacks. eliminates
virtually all of your concern, plus you get clean water as a side benefit. might
be somewhat more costly, but not having to deal with as much bureaucracy or
plumbing/venting issues might make up for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"NotMe" wrote in message

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

Name and contact point of next of kin. Gen set in the basement is risky
even with proper ventaltion.

I know a number of units put in basements/below ground level. Mostly along a
line south of I10 in Louisiana and MS. 100% flooded with salt water.

Ours (in the same area) were 20 ft above high tide line and well enclosed.
No problem expect when they ran out of fuel.