Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Indoor backup generator

On Aug 5, 8:40*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 8/5/2012 6:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My couple of concerns, were the exhaust piping. And, also what to do with
the motor heat. In the winter time, the heat would be used to help warm the
house. Summer, it needs to be piped out.

I'm thinking more and more, that a whole house generator in the cellar is a
bad idea.

Usually, folks are more concerned with exhaust fumes than heat recovery
but if you're familiar with commercial kitchen hoods then you understand
make up air and the balancing act it takes for an efficient heat/cool
saving hood system. The same principles can be applied to basement
gensets. The exhaust needs to be piped in such a way that the fumes
don't come back into the structure. It can be piped outside so the
velocity of the exhaust carries it away or run up over the roof and
fitted with an appropriate means to keep rain and critters out of the
pipe. I have used exhaust flappers for such a purpose. If you're
concerned with generator thieves, I once had a custom dog house built
to camouflage a big Kohler genset for a customer. ^_^

TDD

I would start with a visit to the local code office. And also a visit
the generator manufacturer websites for info to find out which models
may be rated for use indoors and see what their install instructions
say.