Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - crooks phoning me

Related to the telemarketers, I just got the second call in 2 weeks that I had won $2.5 million from Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, I got his number so I could call him back: 1-876-881-0225

Googling it up, I see that others have gotten the call and the bottom line is they need money from you to get the funds released. You'd think that Nigerians, or where ever they are calling from, would be more clever than that.

Want to have some fun, give them a call

Wife got ****ed that I told her next time they call, I would tell them that I want to speak to a white man
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

Wife got ****ed that I told her next time they call, I would tell them
that I want to speak to a white man

The important thing is: Did you have your white hood & robe on when you
told her?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Related to the telemarketers, I just got the second call in 2 weeks
that I had won $2.5 million from Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, I got his number so I could call him back: 1-876-881-0225

Googling it up, I see that others have gotten the call and the bottom
line is they need money from you to get the funds released. You'd
think that Nigerians, or where ever they are calling from, would be
more clever than that.

It's a cell phone in Jamaica.

The amazing thing is that people actually fall for it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Elijah Muhammad wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

Wife got ****ed that I told her next time they call, I would tell
them that I want to speak to a white man

The important thing is: Did you have your white hood & robe on when
you told her?

You paint with too big a brush. Just like you don't have to be colored to
like watermelon, you don't have to be a racist to insist on an
understandable accent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 3, 2012 11:25:29 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Related to the telemarketers, I just got the second call in 2 weeks that I had won $2.5 million from Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, the official legitimate institution is "Publishers Clearing House", not Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, I got his number so I could call him back: 1-876-881-0225

Yeah, why don't you call them back and report to us what you may subsequently discover, that many of those numbers (like this 1-876 prefix) are subject to international long distance rates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_876

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Frank wrote:
Related to the telemarketers, I just got the second call in 2 weeks
that I had won $2.5 million from Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, I got his number so I could call him back: 1-876-881-0225

Googling it up, I see that others have gotten the call and the bottom
line is they need money from you to get the funds released. You'd
think that Nigerians, or where ever they are calling from, would be
more clever than that.

It's a cell phone in Jamaica.

The amazing thing is that people actually fall for it.

Not amazing, the scammers count on it. By claiming something completely
impossible ("I am the wife of the former Nigerian dictator..."), they can
immediately weed out those with even a scintilla of skepticism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2012 1:39 PM, wrote:
On Friday, August 3, 2012 11:25:29 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Related to the telemarketers, I just got the second call in 2 weeks that I had won $2.5 million from Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, the official legitimate institution is "Publishers Clearing House", not Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, I got his number so I could call him back: 1-876-881-0225

Yeah, why don't you call them back and report to us what you may subsequently discover, that many of those numbers (like this 1-876 prefix) are subject to international long distance rates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_876

You're right. I never call these numbers back and missed the area code.
Sorry I posted number because of this. It was not mentioned when I
googled it up, just that they were probably Nigerians over here.

I do recall this one:

People that you would think have more sense do fall for these.

I had a neighbor taken in on the phone and he did not know it until I
told him. He won't tell me how much money was involved or how much it
cost him but the thieves got all of his bank and credit card information
with access days before he discovered it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2012 8:13 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/5/2012 1:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think one of the reasons that happens so easily is how accustomed many
have become to "papers please!". I am really big on not giving up
information. I love the dumb looks (and virtual dumb looks when on the
phone) I get when I ask someone "why do you need to know this" and this
is after I know who they are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 8/6/2012 8:13 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/5/2012 1:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think the main reason is greed. Greed with a touch of larceny. Remember,
"You can't fool an honest man".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2012 9:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:
George wrote:
On 8/6/2012 8:13 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/5/2012 1:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

Specifics of the scammed neighbor were that he got a call from someone
that said they were the police and wanted to catch a credit card
defrauder with the same name. Neighbor gave them all his credit card and
bank information including pass words and identifying stuff like
mother's maiden name. The "police" then had him forward his phone calls
to one of their phones. I found out because I could not reach him by
phone and when I finally did, he told me how he had been helping the
"police". I told him he had been robbed and he better call the real police.

My rule of thumb is that anyone that calls me that I do not know is
lying. I get calls all the time from the police associations for
donations. I tell them that if they arrive at my house in their squad
car in uniform, I'll consider it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 14:34:31 -0400, Frank
wrote:

My rule of thumb is that anyone that calls me that I do not know is
lying. I get calls all the time from the police associations for
donations. I tell them that if they arrive at my house in their squad
car in uniform, I'll consider it

Exactly. Part of this scam is "oh just leave a check under the front
door mat. We will pick it up and not disturb you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

I get calls all the time from the police associations for donations. I tell them that if they arrive at my house in their squad car in uniform, I'll consider it

I get calls from "another city's police organization". I always wonder why I don't get calls from those in my city. They tell me they are raising funds for the disabled policemen or for the policemen's retirement fund, or some such. I remind the callers that policemen are civil servants and they already have those benefit servives, it comes with being a civil servant, so why are you asking for "supplemental" funds? The callers usually don't have a reasonable answer.

I do like the idea of having them come over to recieve a donation, though. I hadn't thought about asking them to do that.

Sonny

There are some crooks about. harry UK diy 21 July 8th 12 12:27 PM
There are some crooks about! harry Home Repair 3 July 4th 12 07:20 AM
There are some crooks in America! harry Home Repair 8 May 21st 12 01:02 PM
Grown oak crooks Bill[_18_] UK diy 9 October 16th 11 08:10 PM
Chipsource = crooks ? snide Electronics 2 October 5th 05 03:44 PM