Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default OT - crooks phoning me

On 8/6/2012 9:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:
George wrote:
On 8/6/2012 8:13 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/5/2012 1:39 PM, wrote:
On Friday, August 3, 2012 11:25:29 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Related to the telemarketers, I just got the second call in 2 weeks
that I had won $2.5 million from Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, the official legitimate institution is "Publishers Clearing
House", not Publishers Central Clearing House.

FYI, I got his number so I could call him back: 1-876-881-0225

Yeah, why don't you call them back and report to us what you may
subsequently discover, that many of those numbers (like this 1-876
prefix) are subject to international long distance rates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_876

You're right. I never call these numbers back and missed the area
code. Sorry I posted number because of this. It was not mentioned
when I googled it up, just that they were probably Nigerians over
here. I do recall this one:

People that you would think have more sense do fall for these.

I had a neighbor taken in on the phone and he did not know it until I
told him. He won't tell me how much money was involved or how much
it cost him but the thieves got all of his bank and credit card
information with access days before he discovered it.

I think one of the reasons that happens so easily is how accustomed
many have become to "papers please!".

I think the main reason is greed. Greed with a touch of larceny. Remember,
"You can't fool an honest man".

Specifics of the scammed neighbor were that he got a call from someone
that said they were the police and wanted to catch a credit card
defrauder with the same name. Neighbor gave them all his credit card and
bank information including pass words and identifying stuff like
mother's maiden name. The "police" then had him forward his phone calls
to one of their phones. I found out because I could not reach him by
phone and when I finally did, he told me how he had been helping the
"police". I told him he had been robbed and he better call the real police.

My rule of thumb is that anyone that calls me that I do not know is
lying. I get calls all the time from the police associations for
donations. I tell them that if they arrive at my house in their squad
car in uniform, I'll consider it