Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Animal in attic

So last night I heard an animal in my attic, scratching and clawing
vigorously on the wood attic floor.

Not really sure of the best plan of attack here. Don't know what
animal it is yet.

A walk around the house with my friend didn't reveal any obvious holes
for entry.

I just bought a havahart trap for squirrels etc.

Let's say I set it up near the attic door opening.
Do I just check it every day for a catch?
Can I hear a catch?
Is it in any way dangerous for me once the animal is caught?

How do I plug the hole of entry when I don't know where it is?

Should I just call an exterminator?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 8:25*pm, GoogaICQ wrote:
So last night I heard an animal in my attic, scratching and clawing
vigorously on the wood attic floor.

Not really sure of the best plan of attack here. Don't know what
animal it is yet.

A walk around the house with my friend didn't reveal any obvious holes
for entry.

I just bought a havahart trap for squirrels etc.

Let's say I set it up near the attic door opening.
Do I just check it every day for a catch?
Can I hear a catch?
Is it in any way dangerous for me once the animal is caught?

How do I plug the hole of entry when I don't know where it is?

Should I just call an exterminator?

Thanks!

Go up in the attic, turn off all lights, let your eyes get accustomed
to the darkness and look around. Racoons or squirrels most likely
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 12:16*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Go up in the attic, turn off all lights, let your eyes get accustomed
to the darkness and look around. *Racoons or squirrels most likely

Thanks bob for your help!
Yes by the sound of the scratching I'd be leaning towards squirrels or
racoons too.

Are there any precautions I need to take (protection from the
animals)?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 12:28 am, GoogaICQ wrote:
On Jul 21, 12:16 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Go up in the attic, turn off all lights, let your eyes get accustomed
to the darkness and look around. Racoons or squirrels most likely

Thanks bob for your help!
Yes by the sound of the scratching I'd be leaning towards squirrels or
racoons too.

Are there any precautions I need to take (protection from the
animals)?

TIA

Get a live trap, about $25 from Harbor Freight, and use dry dog
food, with a little peanut butter, for bait. A raccoon will go for
it
immediately, while a squirrel is more choosy.....

Raccoons are dangerous. Squrrels less so... However, a
mouse can make a disproportionate amount of noise and sound
like a much bigger animal...
If the peanut butter is gone, and the trap is not sprung, it will
probably be a mouse.

If you catch a raccoon in the trap, check with your local
game laws for disposal. In Texas, you aren't allowed to let the
animal free without permission from a game wardern. You can,
however, kill it, without permission......
Be careful, tho, since raccoons are carriers of rabies. Squirrels,
and mice,not so much...

By the way, raccoon meat is about the tastiest I have ever
eaten. Many recipes on the internet......

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Go up in the attic, turn off all lights, let your eyes get accustomed
to the darkness and look around. *Racoons or squirrels most likely

*Thanks bob for your help!
Yes by the sound of the scratching I'd be leaning towards squirrels or
racoons too.

Are there any precautions I need to take (protection from the
animals)?

*TIA

If you can tol;erate a strong smell in the attic, you might try
putting something stinky in the attic, like moth balls, and maybe
play a radio loudly also in the attic, to clear them out AFTER you
find out how they are getting in. Trapping one or two will not solve
the long-term problem of access, more will follow unless you block the
access.

Posted to alt.home.repair

GoogaICQ wrote:
So last night I heard an animal in my attic, scratching and clawing
vigorously on the wood attic floor.

Not really sure of the best plan of attack here. Don't know what
animal it is yet.

A walk around the house with my friend didn't reveal any obvious holes
for entry.

I just bought a havahart trap for squirrels etc.

Let's say I set it up near the attic door opening.
Do I just check it every day for a catch?
Can I hear a catch?
Is it in any way dangerous for me once the animal is caught?

How do I plug the hole of entry when I don't know where it is?

Should I just call an exterminator?

When I had a similar problem, the solution was cutting back an overhanging tree
so the squirrels couldn't get to my roof. They had eaten through one of the
wooden gutters into the soffet and attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 11:04*am, "Bob F" wrote:
GoogaICQ wrote:
So last night I heard an animal in my attic, scratching and clawing
vigorously on the wood attic floor.

Not really sure of the best plan of attack here. Don't know what
animal it is yet.

A walk around the house with my friend didn't reveal any obvious holes
for entry.

I just bought a havahart trap for squirrels etc.

Let's say I set it up near the attic door opening.
Do I just check it every day for a catch?
Can I hear a catch?
Is it in any way dangerous for me once the animal is caught?

How do I plug the hole of entry when I don't know where it is?

Should I just call an exterminator?

When I had a similar problem, the solution was cutting back an overhanging tree
so the squirrels couldn't get to my roof. They had eaten through one of the
wooden gutters into the soffet and attic.- Hide quoted text -

I also had an overhanging tree that allowed easy access to my roof,.
The racoons started eating thru the shingles next to a vent. I
patched the tarpaper and redid the shingles (fortunately I had lots of
extras) with lots of roofing cement, and then put junk wires around
the roof area to help discourage them, then cut back the overhanging
portion of the tree. ( months later, no new invasions). Also had
mice around an outside door frame where there was an opening in the
edge of the bottom of the trim no bigger than my pinkie, . Made a lot
of noise around the door, and then foamed the opening. No smell and
no more scritching in the wall so I am a happy camper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:25:48 -0700 (PDT), GoogaICQ
wrote:

So last night I heard an animal in my attic, scratching and clawing
vigorously on the wood attic floor.

Not really sure of the best plan of attack here. Don't know what
animal it is yet.

A walk around the house with my friend didn't reveal any obvious holes
for entry.

I just bought a havahart trap for squirrels etc.

Let's say I set it up near the attic door opening.
Do I just check it every day for a catch?
Can I hear a catch?
Is it in any way dangerous for me once the animal is caught?

How do I plug the hole of entry when I don't know where it is?

Should I just call an exterminator?

Thanks!

While it could be almost anything, if there are no noticable larger
sized holes, it's likely a mouse. It's amazing how much noise they can
make for their size. I'd start with some mouse traps up there. Then do
a careful inspection of the exterior of the house for holes that would
allow larger animals. Look on the roof, under eaves, and everywhere.
Look particularly where tree branches could allow a critter to get on
your roof.

Another thing is to go in the attic and look for poop. Mouse poop is
very small, about the size of a small grain of rice (black). Rat poop
is much larger about 1/4" x 5/8" shaped like rice. Raccoon poop is
about the same size as cat poop, and squirrel is similar but a little
smaller. Rabbit poop is small pea sized round droppings, but you wont
find rabbits in the attic. Either way, poop is a good way to determine
the critter. There is likely a web page with photos of animal poop if
you google for it.

Personally, I'd enter the attic with a gun in hand and have all persons
leave the house in case you shoot thru the ceiling below. Plaster can
be fixed and a few bullet holes is cheaper than an exterminator. Try
not to shoot thru the roof, and avoid electrical wires when you shoot.

My bet is, it's a mouse!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:03:54 -0500, wrote:

My bet is, it's a mouse!!!!

Could be a Chipmunk!

http://petemyers.net/images/Chipmunk.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK time for a progress update on my animal situation.

After hearing the initial vigorous scratching sound in my kitchen on
Jul 19 I didn't hear anything for a few days.

The next few times I heard sounds, they were no longer scratching
sounds, just light rustling and coming from a room on the other side
of the house (front).
I wasn't sure whether the sounds were coming from the attic or the
front of the house (hard to tell).

These sounds occurred Jul 23, 12:55 am, Jul 25 9:20 pm.

I purchased a few traps. One live, big one for rabbits/squirrels, etc.
(Havahart).
One live, small one for mice and two regular mice traps.

Today I got up the nerve to go in through the attic door and
investigate.

I didn't do more than poke my head through the hole and take photos.

The reasons were the following:
- It was friggin' hot in there! At least 100F. Just like a sauna.

- There was insulation covering everywhere and it was difficult to
make out where to step.

- I couldn't see any droppings from where I was.

- It was dead quiet, nothing obvious happening in there.

Some observations.
I thought I had poked my head through the attic door around 14 years
or so ago just after the new house was built.
I could have sworn I did, and saw pink insulation poorly laid down.

I was surprised today to see gray insulation everywhere!
I don't recall seeing all of those wood support beams also.

I must have been dreaming I guess, because no one has been up in the
attic since I bought my house to do any alterations.

*The entry door to the attic is at the opposite side of the house to
where I was hearing the sounds.
So I couldn't see where the animals would be located if they were
there at the time.

Here is a link to where you can see the photos I took today.
Before I climbed back down I set a live mouse trap right near the
attic entrance just for the heck of it.

http://www.facebook.com/rick.goodman.507?sk=wall

Any comments would be welcome!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 8:08*pm, GoogaICQ wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I didn't realize that you needed a Facebook account to see the
photos.
If you know of a good free site to post them and can't see them at
Facebook I'll do it! Let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well today this has taken a new twist.

At 10:10 pm again there were some scratching noises, this time in the
room at the front of the house, in the corner, in the attic.

BUT, soon after, at 10:25 pm, the noises had moved to the walls in the
same corner, right near the floor!!!

In *both walls* at the corner, at the floor.
This is the first time I heard the scratching noises in the walls!

Hmmmmm.... mice?
I hate this!

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and call an
exterminator.

Anyone here have experience with them? What should I expect? How much
are we looking at for cost?

I just looked at a few websites.
None have mentioned cost yet.

One was very disconcerting.
It mentioned using bait in stations to kill mice.
But then it said:

"In about 3-5 weeks, all pests would have been eliminated having
consumed the bait. Typically, the Pests would simply cease to exist.
However, it is possible that some Pests may expire near human living
spaces. As well, they may result in bad odors. In that case, client
would have to investigate the source and remove it."

So basically they are saying, we'll kill the animals, but then you are
on your own to find them, cut through your walls attic etc. to get
them and throw them out!

Hmmmm.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

But then it said:

"In about 3-5 weeks, all pests would have been eliminated having
consumed the bait. Typically, the Pests would simply cease to exist.
However, it is possible that some Pests may expire near human living
spaces. As well, they may result in bad odors. In that case, client
would have to investigate the source and remove it."

So basically they are saying, we'll kill the animals, but then you are
on your own to find them, cut through your walls attic etc. to get
them and throw them out!

Hmmmm.....

Here's an idea:
Get a boa constrictor and turn it loose. It can go anywhere the
mouse can go, and will eat the mouse. Then it will crawl away.
And snakes don't make that much noise, anyway...
So you see, sometimes the solution can be very simple.... and
your mother-in-law will never visit you again.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

we had a neighborhood rat problem, orkin and others wanted around 800
bucks per home for a one year contract to rid the area of
rats........

mice are easy t catch in a live trap. one most stupid moves i ever
made was feeding birds. sunflower seed were pricey. so i bought a 100
pound sack of sunflower seeds kept it in the basement.

ended up catching and relocating 68 mice who had found the seeds and
raised familys.......

dont leave food sources around...........

harbor freight sells live traps cheap.........the mice were cute but i
didnt want them in our home!

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
we had a neighborhood rat problem, orkin and others wanted around 800
bucks per home for a one year contract to rid the area of
rats........

mice are easy t catch in a live trap. one most stupid moves i ever
made was feeding birds. sunflower seed were pricey. so i bought a 100
pound sack of sunflower seeds kept it in the basement.

ended up catching and relocating 68 mice who had found the seeds and
raised familys.......

dont leave food sources around...........

harbor freight sells live traps cheap.........the mice were cute but i
didnt want them in our home!

My town's Animal Control office lends out free Havahart live traps. If they
are out of stock, a local garden center is on contract to rent them for $5
- $10 a week based on size.

Once you catch the animal, Animal Control will come over, take the trap,
relocate the critter and return the trap to your house.

I trapped a raccoon that was hanging around my garage and deck.

Seeing the raccoon in my garage was what I call a "God thing". One night I
went to get something from the garage freezer and just caught a glimpse of
a tail going behind a storage cabinet. When I pulled out the cabinet I
found a hole in the cinder block next to the door jamb. As I moved more
more stuff I found more deterioration to the block in various spots which
led to a fairly lengthy repair project, including replacing a number of
blocks and the door itself.

Had I not seen the tail I would have not seen the problems until they were
much worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

But then it said:

"In about 3-5 weeks, all pests would have been eliminated having
consumed the bait. Typically, the Pests would simply cease to exist.
However, it is possible that some Pests may expire near human living
spaces. As well, they may result in bad odors. In that case, client
would have to investigate the source and remove it."

So basically they are saying, we'll kill the animals, but then you are
on your own to find them, cut through your walls attic etc. to get
them and throw them out!

Hmmmm.....

Get a package of cheap snap traps for mice. Bait some with peanut
butter and some with pieces of walnuts scrunched firmly into the teeth
of the bait holder. Put them in you attic where they are visible and
easily accessible from the trap door into your attic. You have the
advantage of summer heat which should increase the odor of the bait and
attract the mice. If you are lucky, the mice will smell the food, find
the bait and you'll be done in a week or less. It will be a much
smaller investment than live traps or an exterminator and worth trying
for a week or so. If you don't catch anything in the attic after a
week, move some of the traps to the basement (if you have one) and some
to your attached garage (if you have one). Obviously that may not be
feasible with snap traps if you have a pet cat or dog that may access
those spaces. (Of course, if you have a cat, you probably don't have
mice in the same space.)

Check the traps daily at an hour when you've never heard the noises.
That way, you're least likely to confront an untrapped critter. If the
traps are empty, the bait is gone, but the trap is still set, snap the
trap with a screwdriver, rebait and try again. If you have success, wear
an inverted sturdy plastic bag over the hand you use to pick up the
occupied trap. Still holding the trap, use your other hand to pull the
bulk of the bag down over your hand holding the trap. Knot the bag
snugly. After disposal, thoroughly wash your hands and forearms with
soap and warm water. You want to avoid contact between skin and mouse,
mouse droppings, or dried mouse urine. You never know what pathogens
could be involved.

Ultimately, you still should try to locate the entry point for whatever
got in and seal it up. Otherwise there is guaranteed to be a next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

But then it said:

[...]

Thanks Peter for your thorough instructions!

My first choice is for a DIY solution.

I called a few pest control companies today to find out what they
would do and charge.

Two were leaning towards mice as the culprits.
One started with mice and then shifted to squirrels. Interestingly he
doesn't do squirrels, only rodents.

All three were going to use poisonous bait. When I described my attic
(hot/insulation), they said they would just throw the bait into the
attic, they wouldn't go inside themselves.

Prices ranged from $160-$250.
Of course, none were going to retrieve any dead animals.
They were going to do a one-shot deal.

I set a couple of standard mice traps today with peanut butter at the
attic entrance. The previous live trap I had set a couple of days ago
was empty, the pellet bait, still inside.

I'm sure when I check the traps tomorrow the peanut butter will have
turned to liquid and fallen off the trap onto the insulation below it.
Temps in the attic are holding in the high 90's or more.

Which makes me wonder why would any animal want to set up shop in
there right now ???

I think the traps are too far from the mice (if it's mice). I read
that they don't wander more than a dozen or so feet from where they
nest.

You mentioned moving the traps to the basement/garage. I haven't seen
any droppings there and don't think they've been there. I believe this
is just an attic entry/walls thing.

I cut back a couple of trees that are near the side of my house that
were giving easy access to my roof.

One potential ace I have up my sleave is that roofers will be coming
to my house in a week or so to install a new set of shingles.
Hopefully they'll be able to find the hole/access point that the
animals are using.

One thing that many here don't seem to understand is that my attic is
unfinished and very uncomfortable to enter into.
Not to mention dangerous to walk around. With cellulose insulation on
the floor it's very difficult to judge where the transverse beams are.
So just trekking to the other side of the house where the animals are,
would be a huge undertaking.

The other problem is all of the cross beams in the attic.
I don't think the pest control people would have much success trying
to throw their bait to the other side of the attic without striking
the beams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another update.

I came home a couple of nights ago to see an animal at my front
bushes.
It turned out to be a cat.
Which got me thinking...mice.
Then the next evening there was a brief chase outside the same room
where the animals noises have been heard. Sounded like the cat
possibly chasing a mouse through the bushes.

Fast forward to tonight. Same room. Same noises in the wall, in the
same corner near the floor.

The roofers called me today. They will begin work tomorrow morning at
7 am re-shingling my roof.

So here's my conundrum.

If the roofers come and the mice/squirrels haven't left the house by 7
am, then they could easily lock them into the house.
The shingle work should be over in a day or 1.5 days.

So I'll be faced with either one of these two scenarios:

1. The animals are trapped inside the attic with no escape.
2. The animals are locked out of the house and will want to/ try to re-
enter somehow, possibly creating a new hole somewhere.

I'm really stuck here.
I know one thing for sure. I don't want to go walking in the 100F
attic, not sure where the floor boards are, barely able to see, etc.
etc.

Suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/29/2012 11:46 PM, GoogaICQ wrote:
[...]

If the roofers are applying a second layer of shingles over the existing
layer, unless they spot an obvious hole in the shingles, their work will
not change the ingress/egress status of any animal to your attic.

If they are only removing the shingles and replacing them, and they find
no defects in the sheathing under the shingles, same as I just wrote
above. If there is damage (most likely damage is from rot) to the
sheathing, and they remove that sheet of plywood to replace it, it does
give an opportunity to peek into the attic at that location. However,
they are roofers, not pest control experts and may not be interested in
doing so or knowing what to look for, may not want to stop their roofing
work, or be willing to do anything about what they might find. You can
discuss your issue with them when they arrive, but I wouldn't have high
expectations for their assistance.

Only if they find a distinct hole somewhere and close it off are you
likely to increase the risk of trapping an animal in the attic.

Don't forget, many smaller animals can enter the house on lower floors
and find their way into the attic through spaces inside the walls and
between interior floors and adjacent ceilings. They can find their way
out the same way if they haven't been poisoned.

You may just have to wait until cooler weather, get 100 feet or so of
extension cord, a reliable "trouble light", good traction footwear,
leather gloves to hold onto beams and rafters, and then carefully
explore your attic for signs of infestation.

Yeah, the mice normally may not forage far, but if they are hungry and
smell food,they might expand their feeding area. Also, if the traps
remain unsprung and the peanut butter melts, bring down a few of the
traps and scrunch some shelled peanuts or walnuts firmly under the teeth
of the bait holder and try that for bait. The nuts won't melt!

In a perverse way, the heat of the summer might be the best time to try
poison. Any dead critter in the wall will decay and mummify much faster
in the heat and any smells will dissipate in a shorter time than when
the weather is cooler! Just a thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 8:35*am, Peter wrote:

Thanks again Peter for your help! It's been spot on.

OK time for another update.

My roofing re-shingling job was done
this past Monday and Tuesday.

My roofer was very cooperative with my animal issue.

He removed the original shingles and didn't find any holes in the roof
that might allow animals in. No rotting either.

The day before he came I had an idea.
I purchased some poisonous bait for rodents (the same kind the pros
were going to use).
I figured if the roofer could cut holes into the attic where I had
been hearing the noise he'd be able to throw in the bait to these
targeted the areas.

He agreed and that's what he did.

The day after his job was finished (Wednesday) I started to smell
something near my bedroom (attic door is in bedroom closet).

I checked the two traps I had laid near the attic door and sure enough
two mice had been trapped!

Bingo! Now I know mice are involved.
Yesterday I set four new traps at the attic door. Today I checked and
one more mouse was killed.

What I need now is direction.
I feel this whole thing hanging over my head (literally and
figuratively).
It really gives me the creeps and I hate the feeling.

Am I on the right track?
What is the fastest way to get rid of these mice?
I can still hear faint movement sounds, so I know there are more in
the attic.
The 'pros' were going to use the same poisonous bait route.

This is driving me nuts! (Peanuts)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2012 11:08 PM, GoogaICQ wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:35 am, Peter wrote:

[...]

Good news indeed. I'd continue to bait the traps near the attic access
hatch until you go at least a week without catching more. If the poison
bait appeals to the mice and was placed elsewhere in the attic, that
gives you additional kill power. Since your roof appeared to have no
holes, the mice must have entered at ground level and crawled up to the
attic inside the walls. Mice need water to survive, especially in a hot
attic. In the absence of drinking rainwater from clogged gutters, they
need to leave the house to get their water. Make sure your gutters are
clear. If you can find the foundation crack where they entered and
close it off, you might get rid of the current occupants sooner and
prevent future infestations. Check around utility penetrations,
exterior water spigots, doors from basement walk-out stairs to the yard
(if any) etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 8:35 am, Peter wrote:

[...]

Time for another update.

This mice problem is really getting me down!
It feels as though these mice have taken over my house.
It is a very eerie, uncomfortable feeling in the evening and at night
to hear these animals and there is nothing you can do about it.

The last time I wrote I had caught three mice in total in the attic.
The next couple of days I caught five more for a total of eight (8).
Then I thought maybe I had success.

Despite hearing attic noises I didn't catch any more mice for four
days.
But on Aug 10 another mouse was caught. A friend suggested I place
traps outside as well (I hadn't thought of that).

In the next few days I caught two mice outside, one at the front and
one at the side of the house.
Today I caught another mouse in the attic (10).
So ten in the attic and two outside for a dozen.

I called a Humane Wildlife company last week and they came over to
give me an estimate and also point out possible entry points.

They gave two estimates; one to take care of the mice and the other to
animal proof the home for other wildlife.
The price for just the mice was $1340.

Of course their method does not involve any killing, simply installing
one-way doors at suspected points of entry
and then playing the waiting game for the mice to leave.
He estimated it would take 2-3 weeks for the mice to leave.

He climbed on the ceiling to make it easier to inspect for entry
points at the eaves/soffits etc.

I took mental notes as he later described all the possible access
points.

The next day I started working on plugging up as many access points as
possible, using silicone caulking at some soffits etc.

I am getting desperate now and feel that I need more *take charge*
action.
But I don't know what to do.

I have a feeling that if I/someone goes over to the main spot in the
attic where I am hearing the noises at night I'll find a nest with
dozens or more young ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/21/2012 01:41 AM, Robert wrote:

If you catch a raccoon in the trap, check with your local
game laws for disposal. In Texas, you aren't allowed to let the
animal free without permission from a game wardern. You can,
however, kill it, without permission......

Had a friend here locally contact ODFW concerning the trapping of nutria
underneath his house. They told him a similar set of regulations, in
that he couldn't release them, but was free to kill them.

This being the city, and a liberal one at that, he chose instead to
barricade their entry point and shoo them away when they were found in
the back yard.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think it is? I think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next morning but found nothing not even a single rat hair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2013 12:32 PM, Kristie wrote:
Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think it is? I think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next morning but found nothing not even a single rat hair.

More likely tree rats (squirrels) or bats. Gaps over maybe 1/2 inch
should be sealed. Won't hurt to put some rat poison in the attic. I do
it for mice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kristie wrote:
Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think it
is? I think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next morning
but found nothing not even a single rat hair.

Rat? Really? Not a mouse or squirrel? Where I live there is no rats.
Rats are eradicated since '60s. Any how, how could it come into the
attic?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Kristie wrote:
Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think it
is? I think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next morning
but found nothing not even a single rat hair.

Rat? Really? Not a mouse or squirrel? Where I live there is no rats.
Rats are eradicated since '60s. Any how, how could it come into the
attic?

Rats, mice and squirrels can run effortlessly up any vertical surface that
is only slightly rough.

Heh, I'd be interested to know how rats can be iradicated. I would say
impossible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably a Mormon. Check to see if you have Mitt or Stormin up there since
they both smell like rat feces.

"Kristie" wrote in message
Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think it is? I
think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next morning but found
nothing not even a single rat hair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do the Mormon home storage cans show signs of being chewed on?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Mike N." wrote in message ...
Probably a Mormon. Check to see if you have Mitt or Stormin up there since
they both smell like rat feces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harryagain wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Kristie wrote:
Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think it
is? I think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next morning
but found nothing not even a single rat hair.

Rat? Really? Not a mouse or squirrel? Where I live there is no rats.
Rats are eradicated since '60s. Any how, how could it come into the
attic?

Rats, mice and squirrels can run effortlessly up any vertical surface that
is only slightly rough.

Heh, I'd be interested to know how rats can be iradicated. I would say
impossible.

Hi,
Here in Alberta back then decided to get rid of them all as they are
pest and disease bearer. All of them wiped out by poison. Government
has rat patrol dept. Alwasy watching the Saskatchewan border. If any rat
sighting is reported, right away they find and get rid of it. Cost of
keeping rat free status is mmulti millsion dollars annually.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 7/1/2013 12:32 PM, Kristie wrote:
Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think it
is? I think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next morning
but found nothing not even a single rat hair.

More likely tree rats (squirrels) or bats. Gaps over maybe 1/2 inch
should be sealed. Won't hurt to put some rat poison in the attic. I do
it for mice.

She didn't say where she was located. It could have been an Orangutan.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01 Jul 2013, Kristie wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think
it is? I think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next
morning but found nothing not even a single rat hair.

It's probably the vengeful spirit of the girl buried alive under your
basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think
it is? I think it's a rat.

More likely tree rats (squirrels) or bats.

She didn't say where she was located. It could have been an
Orangutan.

The OP is located in the Dallas TX area.

So yes - it could have been George Monkey Bush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 20, 2012 9:25:48 PM UTC-4, GoogaICQ wrote:
So last night I heard an animal in my attic, scratching and clawing

vigorously on the wood attic floor.

Not really sure of the best plan of attack here. Don't know what

animal it is yet.

A walk around the house with my friend didn't reveal any obvious holes

for entry.

I just bought a havahart trap for squirrels etc.

Let's say I set it up near the attic door opening.

Do I just check it every day for a catch?

Can I hear a catch?

Is it in any way dangerous for me once the animal is caught?

How do I plug the hole of entry when I don't know where it is?

Should I just call an exterminator?

Thanks!

Before you use the trap, call your municipality's Animal Control office and see if they offer traps for free or perhaps a small rental fee. You may be able to return the trap and get your money back.

My town keeps a few Havahart's in stock (free) and if they are out, and you don't want to wait, they contract with a local farm market for something like $10/week for a medium (raccoon size) trap.

Once you catch the animal you call Animal Control and they pick it up, transport it and return the trap to you. You then bring the trap back to wherever you got it from.

I used a $10 trap to catch a raccoon last summer. The next night I caught the neighbor's cat. I didn't call animal control to pick up the cat.

BTW...peanut butter is good bait for a raccoon.

Be careful where you place the trap. The raccoon I caught was not happy. During the few hours he was in the trap he managed to claw through the mulch and pulled/ripped up a bunch of landscaping fabric that was under the mulch.. He pulled it from about 4 feet away in all directions. Really made a mess..

When I left the trap in my driveway, covered with a blanket, for Animal Control to pick up, the driveway was scratched under the trap and the blanket was pretty much shreaded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm remembering a story of a town on the east side of a river. They had a very high racoon population. So they called animal control company, who came out with a plan. They trapped as many racoons as they could get, and released them all on the west side of the river. Some months later, the town on the west side of the river had article in the news paper. They had a high level of racoons, and had hired a company. Whose plan was to trap the racoons and move them to the east side of the river.

Years ago, my Dad did trap and release with squirrels in the bird feeder. Made no difference, the dynamic population just shifted and came right back in. Dad's friend Vic (world war two vetran) shot the squirrel in his feeder, and put it out to the trash. Gave up after the 300th squirrel.

I've heard that auto exhaust has a sedating effect on racoons, they don't give you as much trouble after several minutes of auto exhaust. Cover with a tarp or blanket to concentrate.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:32:31 -0700, Kristie wrote:

I think it's a rat

In the famous words of someone ... recently ... on a.h.r,
choot it ... choot the chit out of it!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:32:31 -0700 (PDT), Kristie
wrote:

Last night I heard a scratching noise on wood, what do you think it is? I think it's a rat. I checked for scratch marks the next morning but found nothing not even a single rat hair.

Like some have said, if you have squirrels in the area, that might be
it. Do not seal any attic openings without making sure that they're
out or the smell when they die might be unpleasant (and cruel). Throw
a bunch of mothballs up there and let that drive them out first. They
don't like mothballs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:46:37 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

How did Jesus feel about killing all these critters?

OT - My Favorite Animal RAM³ Metalworking 8 June 5th 10 06:07 PM
Attic insulation: do attic floor, or roof, or what? And, how much work (ie $$$)? David Combs Home Repair 18 February 21st 09 09:20 PM
Animal Farm Lucern Woodworking 1 December 6th 07 06:51 PM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Repair 7 March 31st 04 03:24 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Ownership 3 March 30th 04 06:21 PM