Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] fred.flintstone@thecave.com is offline

Default Animal in attic

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:25:48 -0700 (PDT), GoogaICQ
wrote:

So last night I heard an animal in my attic, scratching and clawing
vigorously on the wood attic floor.

Not really sure of the best plan of attack here. Don't know what
animal it is yet.

A walk around the house with my friend didn't reveal any obvious holes
for entry.

I just bought a havahart trap for squirrels etc.

Let's say I set it up near the attic door opening.
Do I just check it every day for a catch?
Can I hear a catch?
Is it in any way dangerous for me once the animal is caught?

How do I plug the hole of entry when I don't know where it is?

Should I just call an exterminator?

Thanks!

While it could be almost anything, if there are no noticable larger
sized holes, it's likely a mouse. It's amazing how much noise they can
make for their size. I'd start with some mouse traps up there. Then do
a careful inspection of the exterior of the house for holes that would
allow larger animals. Look on the roof, under eaves, and everywhere.
Look particularly where tree branches could allow a critter to get on
your roof.

Another thing is to go in the attic and look for poop. Mouse poop is
very small, about the size of a small grain of rice (black). Rat poop
is much larger about 1/4" x 5/8" shaped like rice. Raccoon poop is
about the same size as cat poop, and squirrel is similar but a little
smaller. Rabbit poop is small pea sized round droppings, but you wont
find rabbits in the attic. Either way, poop is a good way to determine
the critter. There is likely a web page with photos of animal poop if
you google for it.

Personally, I'd enter the attic with a gun in hand and have all persons
leave the house in case you shoot thru the ceiling below. Plaster can
be fixed and a few bullet holes is cheaper than an exterminator. Try
not to shoot thru the roof, and avoid electrical wires when you shoot.

My bet is, it's a mouse!!!!