Junior Member

Default Vinyl patio door rebuild

I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly with wooden pegs. The pegs have rotted out, but otherwise the door is good. The door includes an expensive pet door, so I think it's worth fixing. I've disassembled the door, drilled out and replaced the pegs, and reassembled it. I tried silicone as an adhesive, and clamped it for 2 days. It lasted about 2 days after rehanging, and then started to separate and sag. Any ideas about an adhesive that will work on vinyl parts and hold up to 100+ degree South Carolina US heat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
archalot

silicone is not a structural type adhesive how old is the door? is it double pane?

you might be able to get vinyl pins that match the plastic the door is made of and use the sort of glue used for PVC pipe. not really a adhesive it melts the PVC......

but doing so will mean theres no easy way to ever get it apart
Posted to alt.home.repair

archalot writes:

I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly with
wooden pegs. The pegs have rotted out, but otherwise the door is good.
The door includes an expensive pet door, so I think it's worth fixing.
I've disassembled the door, drilled out and replaced the pegs, and
reassembled it. I tried silicone as an adhesive, and clamped it for 2
days. It lasted about 2 days after rehanging, and then started to
separate and sag. Any ideas about an adhesive that will work on vinyl
parts and hold up to 100+ degree South Carolina US heat?

When I went to repair a vinyl garden window I contacted the
manufacturer. Found out that I had a lifetime guarantee.
Parts were free and instructions were provided.

I suggest you track down the manufacturer first.

On mine, all the window had was some numbers on it.
Turns out each manufacturer uses unique numbers.
Google to the rescue.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 10:16*pm, archalot wrote:
I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly with
wooden pegs. *The pegs have rotted out, but otherwise the door is good.
The door includes an expensive pet door, so I think it's worth fixing.
I've disassembled the door, drilled out and replaced the pegs, and
reassembled it. *I tried silicone as an adhesive, and clamped it for 2
days. *It lasted about 2 days after rehanging, and then started to
separate and sag. *Any ideas about an adhesive that will work on vinyl
parts and hold up to 100+ degree South Carolina US heat?

--
archalot

How about a couple of photos, a picture is worth ------- words.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 11:16*pm, archalot wrote:
I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly with
wooden pegs. *The pegs have rotted out, but otherwise the door is good.
The door includes an expensive pet door, so I think it's worth fixing.
I've disassembled the door, drilled out and replaced the pegs, and
reassembled it. *I tried silicone as an adhesive, and clamped it for 2
days. *It lasted about 2 days after rehanging, and then started to
separate and sag. *Any ideas about an adhesive that will work on vinyl
parts and hold up to 100+ degree South Carolina US heat?

--
archalot

"I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly
with wooden pegs."

Are the "wooden pegs" what are commonly known as dowels? Do they
attach wooden components to wooden components?

If so, why didn't you use wood glue?

If not, please describe the connection points in a little more detail.
Better yet, post pictures of the situation.

I've used super glue to build up trim profiles from vinyl trim, but I
was gluing vinyl to vinyl. I know that window/door trim is not
structural, but when I tested the bond, the vinyl broke, not the bond.

Can't say if that will help you since I don't exactly know what you
are trying to fix.

Junior Member

The door is a vinyl screen door. All vertical and horizontal members are vinyl.
For some reason, they used wooden dowels to assemble the joints. The dowels rotted and the door separated. I have replaced the dowels, but haven't found the right adhesive to cement the vinyl faces together (dowels alone are not tight enough to prevent sagging).

"I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly
with wooden pegs."

Are the "wooden pegs" what are commonly known as dowels? Do they
attach wooden components to wooden components?

If so, why didn't you use wood glue?

If not, please describe the connection points in a little more detail.
Better yet, post pictures of the situation.

I've used super glue to build up trim profiles from vinyl trim, but I
was gluing vinyl to vinyl. I know that window/door trim is not
structural, but when I tested the bond, the vinyl broke, not the bond.

Can't say if that will help you since I don't exactly know what you
are trying to fix.[/quote]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:16:37 AM UTC, archalot wrote:
I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly with
wooden pegs. The pegs have rotted out, but otherwise the door is good.
The door includes an expensive pet door, so I think it's worth fixing.
I've disassembled the door, drilled out and replaced the pegs, and
reassembled it. I tried silicone as an adhesive, and clamped it for 2
days. It lasted about 2 days after rehanging, and then started to
separate and sag. Any ideas about an adhesive that will work on vinyl
parts and hold up to 100+ degree South Carolina US heat?

--
archalot

There is special vinyl adhesive similar to PVC. The main differece is that it sets up slower than PVC to give you some assembly time.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:16:37 AM UTC, archalot wrote:
I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly with
wooden pegs. The pegs have rotted out, but otherwise the door is good.
The door includes an expensive pet door, so I think it's worth fixing.
I've disassembled the door, drilled out and replaced the pegs, and
reassembled it. I tried silicone as an adhesive, and clamped it for 2
days. It lasted about 2 days after rehanging, and then started to
separate and sag. Any ideas about an adhesive that will work on vinyl
parts and hold up to 100+ degree South Carolina US heat?

--
archalot

A while back I came across a glue website they had info on how to glue anything to anything else. Wish I could be more informative on this one.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/21/12 12:18 PM, archalot wrote:
[...]

I don't know what newsreader you are using, but it's not quoting
articles correctly. There is no indication in your response of who said
what. It all looks like an original post.

I've viewed your response in 2 different newsreaders and in Google
Groups and the problem is on definitely on your end.

I've added quote indicators to make it easier to follow.

In addition, please don't top post. Post your responses either in line
with specific points or at the bottom of other people's responses.

OK...so back to your door...

Like I said, super glue works great for vinyl to vinyl bonding. Whether
it will work for your sagging problem will probably depend on the amount
of surface area that will be bonded.

Can you post a picture so we can see what we're dealing with? Something
has to have let go besides the dowels to make the door sag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/22/12 10:13 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:16:37 AM UTC, archalot wrote:
I have a vinyl patio door whose construction included assembly with
wooden pegs. The pegs have rotted out, but otherwise the door is good.
The door includes an expensive pet door, so I think it's worth fixing.
I've disassembled the door, drilled out and replaced the pegs, and
reassembled it. I tried silicone as an adhesive, and clamped it for 2
days. It lasted about 2 days after rehanging, and then started to
separate and sag. Any ideas about an adhesive that will work on vinyl
parts and hold up to 100+ degree South Carolina US heat?

--
archalot

A while back I came across a glue website they had info on how to glue anything to anything else. Wish I could be more informative on this one.

Jimmie

Are you referring to "This To That"?

http://www.thistothat.com/