Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trex Decking Questions, Please

Hello,

Thinking of TREX for an outdoor (uncovered) Deck re-do.
They have a nice site, but still have a lot of questions.

Thought I'd ask you experts he

a. General thoughts and comments regarding Trex ? Pros & cons, etc. ?

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Jul 14, 6:34*am, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thinking of TREX for an outdoor (uncovered) Deck re-do.
They have a nice site, but still have a lot of questions.

Thought I'd ask you experts he

a. General thoughts and comments regarding Trex ? *Pros & cons, etc. ?

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob

I used trex when I rebuilt my deck about 3-4 years ago. Other than
power washing it every spring, it's very little maintenance. I didn't
stain mine, and don't plan on it. I really like it. I'm not sure
what's its made of, but I think it is some sort of resin mixed with
sawdust. The 1" thickness seems to be adequate as I haven't had any
issues with it sagging. It's a little bit pricy, but I think it's
worth it. I went with their railing system as well and it went up
easily. I would recommend them.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 08:34:15 -0400, Bob wrote:

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

Wood chips and some sort of plastic. It also has a plastic (vinyl, I
think) coating on top for better protection and longer life.

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

No, it comes in various colors. In the past though, they did have
some complaints of sun bleaching. UV is tough on things like that.

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Check the specs on joist spacing. I think they require 16" and you
may have 24" on the existing deck.

It does require periodic cleaning, but not much else.

Do some research on the pros and cons
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/de...m-spacing.html

I chose to use tiger wood instead of a composite. IMO, you just can't
beat real wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/14/2012 8:40 AM, rlz wrote:

I used trex when I rebuilt my deck about 3-4 years ago. Other than
power washing it every spring, it's very little maintenance. I didn't
stain mine, and don't plan on it. I really like it....

I've wondered--how do you think it compares to wood decking as far as
heat retention? In a very hot climate w/ high sun, I've always wondered
given the comparison of the synthetic turf to grass as a (granted
somewhat distant) example.

I know if it ain't white, the tables/chairs are worse than a relatively
dark wood one as far as touching/sitting because the heat transfer is so
much better. Similar to the wood floor feels so much colder in winter
than carpet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 10:19*am, dpb wrote:
On 7/14/2012 8:40 AM, rlz wrote:

I used trex when I rebuilt my deck about 3-4 years ago. Other than
power washing it every spring, it's very little maintenance. *I didn't
stain mine, and don't plan on it. *I really like it....

I've wondered--how do you think it compares to wood decking as far as
heat retention? *In a very hot climate w/ high sun, I've always wondered
given the comparison of the synthetic turf to grass as a (granted
somewhat distant) example.

I know if it ain't white, the tables/chairs are worse than a relatively
dark wood one as far as touching/sitting because the heat transfer is so
much better. *Similar to the wood floor feels so much colder in winter
than carpet...

I find Trex to be hotter underfoot than some other composite decking
products. It's one of the main reasons I rarely use it for an entire
deck. When it's really hot people go barefoot and that's when the
stuff is the hottest. Not a good equation. Of course the lighter
colors heat up less, but I think it's the density of the stuff that
makes the deck-to-foot heat transfer objectionable to some. It's
roughly akin to walking on a black sand beach. If you've ever done
that you quickly discover that all sand is not created equal.

I like Correct Deck. The installation is a little different, cost
more or less comparable, but it has some decided advantages.
http://correctbp.com

"How does temperature affect CorrectDeck CX?
CorrectDeck CX is manufactured in Maine where harsh freezing winters
have put it to the test. As far as the heat, CorrectDeck can get up to
210° F without any distortion or sagging between joists. The deep wood
grain and thin profile of CorrectDeck CX combined with IR-reflective
pigments help to keep the product cool underfoot even on those hot
summer days."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2012 11:59 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 08:34:15 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Thinking of TREX for an outdoor (uncovered) Deck re-do.
They have a nice site, but still have a lot of questions.

Thought I'd ask you experts he

a. General thoughts and comments regarding Trex ? Pros & cons, etc. ?

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Trex or any composite is not a drop in replacement for wood. The
minimum spans are shorter. Usually if you have 5/4 lumber, you need
1.5" Trex.

It is a little hotter on bare feet but not unbearable for people who
go barefoot a lot.
Trex is sawdust and milk bottles. There are pure milk bottle
composites that wear a little better but that usually just comes up
with boat dock construction in salt water. I think the spans are the
same.
There are some variants that have a scalloped bottom and more depth to
give them more span capacity for the same weight.

I'd personally like to see how well the stuff holds up after 20 years.

Have you ever seen what a milk bottle looks like after being in the sun
for a year? It usually disintegrates.

I cannot find the answer but am pretty sure it is a composite of recycle
polyethylene and saw dust with color and stabilizers added.
If the color is throughout, you won't ever need to stain or paint it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank writes:

On 7/14/2012 11:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

I have about 10 on my Timbertech.
Looks identical to the day it was installed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it last 100 years or more.

Have you ever seen what a milk bottle looks like after being in the
sun for a year? It usually disintegrates.

I cannot find the answer but am pretty sure it is a composite of
recycle polyethylene and saw dust with color and stabilizers added.
If the color is throughout, you won't ever need to stain or paint it.

All I do is power wash it. Once a year.
I'm guessing I wouldn't have to do it that often if the area wasn't
surrounded by trees.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 08:34:15 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Thinking of TREX for an outdoor (uncovered) Deck re-do.
They have a nice site, but still have a lot of questions.

Thought I'd ask you experts he

a. General thoughts and comments regarding Trex ? Pros & cons, etc. ?

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Trex is made of old shopping bags and sawdust.
I used Trex Transcend for my front porch several years ago and it is
great. Follow the framing recommendations and 1 inch is plenty strong
enough - and no staining is required. The base Trex DOES support
mildew growth, like wood, while Transcend does not. It costs a bit
more, but it is extremely simple to keep clean and looking good.

I used the "slotted" transcend for all but the outermost board, so the
fasteners are all concealed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 7:34*am, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thinking of TREX for an outdoor (uncovered) Deck re-do.
They have a nice site, but still have a lot of questions.

Thought I'd ask you experts he

a. General thoughts and comments regarding Trex ? *Pros & cons, etc. ?

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob

I love my Trex deck, I did all the work myself, just followed
instructions for sppacing between boards and spacing of joists
underneath. I power wash it every2 -3 years, and enjoy it all ywear
round, summer and winter. No stain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2012 1:11 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Frank writes:

On 7/14/2012 11:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

Good to hear. I'd still be brand conscious because polymer chemistry
could be different. Polyethylene falls apart in sunlight but polymers
like PVC are nearly impervious. We all remember the polybutylene pipe
fiasco a few years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 7/14/2012 11:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

Over a real long time period it might lose some of it's smoothness.
polyethylene does break down without uv inhibitors. Tyvec is not for the
sun.

Talk about decks, mine is made out of styrofoam cups.
Well, just styrofoam really. Mine can stain with oils.
Transfer of heat depends on weight and density, and color.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/14/2012 11:42 AM, Frank wrote:

I'd personally like to see how well the stuff holds up after 20 years.

Have you ever seen what a milk bottle looks like after being in the sun
for a year? It usually disintegrates.

I cannot find the answer but am pretty sure it is a composite of recycle
polyethylene and saw dust with color and stabilizers added.
If the color is throughout, you won't ever need to stain or paint it.

It'll be interesting w/ longer time indeed methinks -- it's been about
20 yr since its introduction I think and I presume they've probably made
some improvements based on early product as they've gone along.

I just looked at their web site though; interestingly enough, the
warranty of 25 yr is valid _only_ for original purchaser and for a
residential consumer--the contractor-built deck where he supplies the
material is only a 10-yr warranty. Plus, the only thing that is
warranted is gross mechanical defects and termite/other insect-like
damage--absolutely nothing is warranted regarding surface weathering,
fading, etc., etc., etc., ...

It certainly has UV inhibitors and is far more resilient to weathering
than are the untreated plastics from which it is manufactured so
comparing to them is meaningless. Nevertheless, most have at least some
damage and time will gradually tell how long it will last in general.

The web site says its manufactured from recycled shopping bags and waste
wood products including junked pallets...I think there is one that
manages to reuse at least a fraction of the milk jugs, etc., but
apparently that one is not Trex...

One thing I've observed in town here in W KS is many of the vinyl fences
that looked so good when new have sagged severely in the hot summer
sun...of course, they're not Trex--just an observation about structural
plastics in hot climates...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello my name is Jim. My question is my old deck is 18 ft by 12 ft. They are 2 x 6 Redwood. What thickness of Trex decking would I need to replace it. Thank you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 5:53:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello my name is Jim.

Hi Jim!

My question is my old deck is 18 ft by 12 ft.

That's not a question.

How big is your new deck?

They are 2 x 6 Redwood.

What are? I'll assume the deck boards.

What thickness of Trex decking would I need to replace it.

That's not a question that we can answer without more info. Are your
existing deck boards an actual 2x6 or a nominal 2x6 or something in between?
What your joist spacing? There are too many variables for us to answer your
question with the limited info that you have shared.

Thank you

You are very welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 8:26:52 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 5:53:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello my name is Jim.

Hi Jim!

My question is my old deck is 18 ft by 12 ft.

That's not a question.

How big is your new deck?

They are 2 x 6 Redwood.

What are? I'll assume the deck boards.

What thickness of Trex decking would I need to replace it.

That's not a question that we can answer without more info. Are your
existing deck boards an actual 2x6 or a nominal 2x6 or something in between?
What your joist spacing?

That would seem to be a very important one, ie min joist spacing for
Trex versus a 2x6.

There are too many variables for us to answer your
question with the limited info that you have shared.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 7:34:15 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thinking of TREX for an outdoor (uncovered) Deck re-do.
They have a nice site, but still have a lot of questions.

Thought I'd ask you experts he

a. General thoughts and comments regarding Trex ? Pros & cons, etc. ?

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob

I posted in 2012 I loved my Trex deck. I installed myself, and 5 years later I still love it and would do it again.

Trex decking cleaner? SilverUnicorn Home Repair 4 October 13th 06 12:00 AM
Ipe decking questions [email protected] Woodworking 15 June 28th 05 06:11 AM
Composite decking: Trex or WeatherBest? Dave K. Home Repair 3 February 18th 04 03:12 AM
trex decking steve Home Repair 1 November 14th 03 02:07 AM
using trex as decking in treehouse? Jonathan Epstein Woodworking 12 October 7th 03 05:26 PM