Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Trex Decking Questions, Please

On Jul 14, 10:19*am, dpb wrote:
On 7/14/2012 8:40 AM, rlz wrote:

I used trex when I rebuilt my deck about 3-4 years ago. Other than
power washing it every spring, it's very little maintenance. *I didn't
stain mine, and don't plan on it. *I really like it....

I've wondered--how do you think it compares to wood decking as far as
heat retention? *In a very hot climate w/ high sun, I've always wondered
given the comparison of the synthetic turf to grass as a (granted
somewhat distant) example.

I know if it ain't white, the tables/chairs are worse than a relatively
dark wood one as far as touching/sitting because the heat transfer is so
much better. *Similar to the wood floor feels so much colder in winter
than carpet...

I find Trex to be hotter underfoot than some other composite decking
products. It's one of the main reasons I rarely use it for an entire
deck. When it's really hot people go barefoot and that's when the
stuff is the hottest. Not a good equation. Of course the lighter
colors heat up less, but I think it's the density of the stuff that
makes the deck-to-foot heat transfer objectionable to some. It's
roughly akin to walking on a black sand beach. If you've ever done
that you quickly discover that all sand is not created equal.

I like Correct Deck. The installation is a little different, cost
more or less comparable, but it has some decided advantages.
http://correctbp.com

"How does temperature affect CorrectDeck CX?
CorrectDeck CX is manufactured in Maine where harsh freezing winters
have put it to the test. As far as the heat, CorrectDeck can get up to
210° F without any distortion or sagging between joists. The deep wood
grain and thin profile of CorrectDeck CX combined with IR-reflective
pigments help to keep the product cool underfoot even on those hot
summer days."