Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Trex Decking Questions, Please

On 7/14/2012 11:59 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 08:34:15 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Thinking of TREX for an outdoor (uncovered) Deck re-do.
They have a nice site, but still have a lot of questions.

Thought I'd ask you experts he

a. General thoughts and comments regarding Trex ? Pros & cons, etc. ?

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Trex or any composite is not a drop in replacement for wood. The
minimum spans are shorter. Usually if you have 5/4 lumber, you need
1.5" Trex.

It is a little hotter on bare feet but not unbearable for people who
go barefoot a lot.
Trex is sawdust and milk bottles. There are pure milk bottle
composites that wear a little better but that usually just comes up
with boat dock construction in salt water. I think the spans are the
same.
There are some variants that have a scalloped bottom and more depth to
give them more span capacity for the same weight.

I'd personally like to see how well the stuff holds up after 20 years.

Have you ever seen what a milk bottle looks like after being in the sun
for a year? It usually disintegrates.

I cannot find the answer but am pretty sure it is a composite of recycle
polyethylene and saw dust with color and stabilizers added.
If the color is throughout, you won't ever need to stain or paint it.