Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Trex Decking Questions, Please

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 08:34:15 -0400, Bob wrote:

b. Exactly what is this "stuff" of Trex made of ?

Wood chips and some sort of plastic. It also has a plastic (vinyl, I
think) coating on top for better protection and longer life.

c. Does it need to be stained also ?

No, it comes in various colors. In the past though, they did have
some complaints of sun bleaching. UV is tough on things like that.

d. 1" thickness adequate and typical for Deck ?

etc. ?

Check the specs on joist spacing. I think they require 16" and you
may have 24" on the existing deck.

It does require periodic cleaning, but not much else.

Do some research on the pros and cons
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/de...m-spacing.html

I chose to use tiger wood instead of a composite. IMO, you just can't
beat real wood.