Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to treat rust along bottom of overhead garage door

I have a WayneDalton steel garage door. The rubber gasket and steel
holder was totally rusted out and I removed it with the intent of
buying a new gasket and mounting assembly. But, I discovered that the
outer steel panel is rusted along the bottom edge of the bottom panel
where it contacted the gasket mounting assembly and needs treatment or
it will rust out and then I'll have a bigger problem.

Should I try something like Naval jelly to neutralize the rust and
then spray paint some of Rustoleum's best quality paint along the
inside and outside of the bottom panel, or something else? I live in
the Chicago suburbs so plenty of winter snow can accumulate along the
bottom of the door before I get it removed, so there is a lot of
contact with moisture. I'm sure the bottom gasket assembly helped
trap moisture against the panel and that is where almost all the rust
is, but the new gasket assembly will also likely trap moisture in the
same place so I am looking for a good seal, as much as possible anyway.
\

Help and TIA,.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 9:49*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:23:15 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
[...]

POR 15, or Hammerite- Hide quoted text -

Hammerite seems to not be available in the USA, POR is not a spray. I
really need a spray paint or I will have to do some major disassembly
to work the paint into some deep recesses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sand, Bondo and spray automobile undercoating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As for as removing the rust, Google "farm machinery rust removal" for
the best rust removal products. Once the rust has been removed, spray
a metal primer, first, then paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Disassembly your WayneDalton steel garage door steel holder,
that is totally rusted out,
and take it to a Automobile Repair Shop,
they will make it look new for able $50 to $75..

and stop putting Salt on ice by steel garage door.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*I have personally found that Navel Jelly does not do a complete job, but it
can be worth using as a starting point. The best thing to do is both
sanding and wire brushing to get rid of all the rust. In some cases I have
used my angle grinder to get the bulk of the rust off.

Make sure the surface is clean and then use Rust-oleum Rusty Metal Primer
and let it dry at least two full days before recoat or top coat. Then use
the Stops Rust Rust-oleum paint on top of the primer and let it dry at least
two full days before recoating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:25:55 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jul 13, 9:49Â*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:23:15 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
I have a WayneDalton steel garage door. Â*The rubber gasket and steel
holder was totally rusted out and I removed it with the intent of
buying a new gasket and mounting assembly. Â*But, I discovered that the
outer steel panel is rusted along the bottom edge of the bottom panel
where it contacted the gasket mounting assembly and needs treatment or
it will rust out and then I'll have a bigger problem.

Should I try something like Naval jelly to neutralize the rust and
then spray paint some of Rustoleum's best quality paint along the
inside and outside of the bottom panel, or something else? Â* I live in
the Chicago suburbs so plenty of winter snow can accumulate along the
bottom of the door before I get it removed, so there is a lot of
contact with moisture. Â*I'm sure the bottom gasket assembly helped
trap moisture against the panel and that is where almost all the rust
is, but the new gasket assembly will also likely trap moisture in the
same place so I am looking for a good seal, as much as possible anyway.
\

Help and TIA,.

Bob

POR 15, or Hammerite- Hide quoted text -

Hammerite seems to not be available in the USA, POR is not a spray. I
really need a spray paint or I will have to do some major disassembly
to work the paint into some deep recesses.

Buy a cheap sprayer from Harbour Fright or your cheap tool emporium
of choice, or buy a "pre-val" In a pinch using a syringe and brush
will also do the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 05:43:06 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

Sand, Bondo and spray automobile undercoating.

Or "box liner"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 8:54*am, Hot-Text wrote:
Disassembly your WayneDalton steel garage door steel holder,
that is totally rusted out,
and take it to a Automobile Repair Shop,
they will make it look new for able $50 to $75..

and stop putting Salt on ice by steel garage door.....

I don't use sald on my driveway, local govt uses much sand, little
salt, area rusted not exposed to salt, just lots of moisture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in news:2a492a11-
:

[...]

Mine not rusted as bad as yours sounds but lots of rust on bottom panel
on inside and out.

Gruelingly wire brushed down to bare metal. BRUSH painted with Rustoleum
Rusty Metal Primer. Primed with Rustoleum white metal primer. Two coats
of white 100% acrylic latex. Couple of years now. Not showing through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 2:42*pm, Red Green wrote:
[...]

of white 100% acrylic latex. Couple of years now. Not showing through.- Hide quoted text -

Thanx, See new post about AL angle