Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to treat rust along bottom of overhead garage door

On Jul 13, 9:49*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:23:15 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
I have a WayneDalton steel garage door. *The rubber gasket and steel
holder was totally rusted out and I removed it with the intent of
buying a new gasket and mounting assembly. *But, I discovered that the
outer steel panel is rusted along the bottom edge of the bottom panel
where it contacted the gasket mounting assembly and needs treatment or
it will rust out and then I'll have a bigger problem.

Should I try something like Naval jelly to neutralize the rust and
then spray paint some of Rustoleum's best quality paint along the
inside and outside of the bottom panel, or something else? * I live in
the Chicago suburbs so plenty of winter snow can accumulate along the
bottom of the door before I get it removed, so there is a lot of
contact with moisture. *I'm sure the bottom gasket assembly helped
trap moisture against the panel and that is where almost all the rust
is, but the new gasket assembly will also likely trap moisture in the
same place so I am looking for a good seal, as much as possible anyway.
\

Help and TIA,.

Bob

POR 15, or Hammerite- Hide quoted text -

Hammerite seems to not be available in the USA, POR is not a spray. I
really need a spray paint or I will have to do some major disassembly
to work the paint into some deep recesses.