Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swamp cooler questions

I got a nearly new large swamp cooler today for $25. It needs new pads, and
has slight corrosion inside, nothing deep nor penetrating. The rest of the
paint throughout looks very good. It has a one horse two speed motor, and
is downdraft.

What type of paint would I buy to cover up the corroded spots? I have
already gone over them with an electric grinder with a cup knot brush, and
have the corrosion and flaking paint cleaned off. Do they make special
concoctions for swamp coolers?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 10:10*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got a nearly new large swamp cooler today for $25. *It needs new pads, and
has slight corrosion inside, nothing deep nor penetrating. *The rest of the
paint throughout looks very good. *It has a one horse two speed motor, and
is downdraft.

What type of paint would I buy to cover up the corroded spots? *I have
already gone over them with an electric grinder with a cup knot brush, and
have the corrosion and flaking paint cleaned off. *Do they make special
concoctions for swamp coolers?

Steve

The more waterproof/resistant the better. Do you have a mfgr? If so,
call them and ask what they recommend
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:10:49 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I got a nearly new large swamp cooler today for $25. It needs new pads, and
has slight corrosion inside, nothing deep nor penetrating. The rest of the
paint throughout looks very good. It has a one horse two speed motor, and
is downdraft.

What type of paint would I buy to cover up the corroded spots? I have
already gone over them with an electric grinder with a cup knot brush, and
have the corrosion and flaking paint cleaned off. Do they make special
concoctions for swamp coolers?

Steve

Go to an auto parts store and get the same paint that they use on cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/11/12 11:10 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got a nearly new large swamp cooler today for $25. It needs new pads, and
has slight corrosion inside, nothing deep nor penetrating. The rest of the
paint throughout looks very good. It has a one horse two speed motor, and
is downdraft.

What type of paint would I buy to cover up the corroded spots? I have
already gone over them with an electric grinder with a cup knot brush, and
have the corrosion and flaking paint cleaned off. Do they make special
concoctions for swamp coolers?

Steve

Lowes, etc sells paint specifically for coolers. The same or similar
to this Amazon listing

http://www.amazon.com/Dial-5623-12OZ.../dp/B000VS4T1W

While you are at it, I would suggest you re-seal the pan with the
sealer also made for coolers by same mfr.

http://www.simsupply.com/p-71361-qua...AID=1303478794
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Retired" wrote in message
[...]

Might I just use the second product and skip the first? It has a really (!)
thick coating of white sealer on it from the factory already. Someone
butyled over the drain hole, though. It was mounted on a flat surface, so I
guess they cut it off for that reason. I will have to have a closer look,
and possibly replace the drain hole. If I do that, I will definitely use
the second product, as the first looks like it is just for surface painting.

Thanks for the links.

Steve

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/12/12 12:32 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Did the cooler come with the parts for the drain ?? If not, then be
aware it is not normally just a plug. On the underside it serves as a
connection for a garden hose, and inside it serves as an overflow, by
way of a short pipe (~4", plastic)

Scroll down this page for a picture
http://www.kennspenns.com/coolerparts/misc-parts.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

http://www.simsupply.com/p-71361-qua...spx?CAWELAID=1....

Might I just use the second product and skip the first? *It has a really (!)
thick coating of white sealer on it from the factory already. *Someone
butyled over the drain hole, though. *It was mounted on a flat surface, so I
guess they cut it off for that reason. *I will have to have a closer look,
and possibly replace the drain hole. *If I do that, I will definitely use
the second product, as the first looks like it is just for surface painting.

Thanks for the links.

Steve

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Steve,
Just fyi, the drain hole should have a plastic tube in it that's high
enough to allow the water to collect. At the end of the season, they
can be turned over so the water can drain thru them. You mentioned
"Someone
butyled over the drain hole, though. It was mounted on a flat surface, so I
guess they cut it off for that reason.", so I was curious if the tube was just upside down.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

(!)
[...]

Yes, I have seen them with the short tube for an overflow. Obviously this
one was defeated, and a custom angle flashing was put around the bottom to
mount it to a perfectly flat surface at one time. The place where the
plug/overflow would have gone is now a big round dollop of butyl. Now, I
remember that this was an overflow, too. It's been a long time since I
fiddled with swampers. Every spring, it was my job to clean up two of them
and get them ready for the hot Nevada summers. I hated the job, as the hard
water made them full of white crud, and over the winter, the pads
fossilized.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,
Just fyi, the drain hole should have a plastic tube in it that's high
enough to allow the water to collect. At the end of the season, they
can be turned over so the water can drain thru them. You mentioned
"Someone
butyled over the drain hole, though. It was mounted on a flat surface, so
guess they cut it off for that reason.", so I was curious if the tube was
just upside down.

Rob

No, tube is gone top and bottom. It was done, and flashing put around the
base to goop it on to a flat roof.

Steve