Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Polarity Problem

The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? What could have caused this?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/10/2012 10:51 AM, Dick Adams wrote:
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? What could have caused this?

?????

Handheld circular saw looked at from sawblade end w/ the handle up, I
presume???

If so, that's the proper direction; a handheld circular sawblade cuts up
into the material forcing it up against the baseplate (just like a table
saw upside down).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 11:51*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Applying power to the saw's motor will cause that to happen.

Release the switch or unplug the saw. The blades will stop turning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your electricity source is from south of the equator.

Borrowed from a poster on rec.woodworking:

I think its time for me to explain about 240 current and why it is so
different from 120 volt service. First of all, it's twice as big.
Secondly, it'll shock you more. Outside of that, 240 is really two
120 volt lines coming to your house from different parts of the
globe.
The up and down 120 comes from the northern hemisphere, and the down
and up version comes from below the equator.

Without trying to get technical, it all boils down to the direction
water flows when it goes down the drain. In the top of the earth, it
goes clockwise, while on the bottom of the earth it goes counter
clockwise. Since most electricity is made from hydro dams, the
clockwise flow gives you an up and down sine wave, while the
counterclockwise version gives you a down and up sine wave. Between
the two, you have 240 volts, while either individual side only gives
you 120 volts.

This is particularly important to know when buying power tools --
which side of the globe did they come from? If you get an Australian
saw, for instance, it will turn backwards if connected to a US
generated 120 volt source. Sure, you can buy backwards blades for
it,
but that is an unnecessary burden. Other appliances, like toasters
cannot be converted from Australian electricity to American
electricity. I knew one person who bought an Australian toaster by
mistake and it froze the slices of bread she put in it.

If you wire your shop with 240 and accidentally get two US-generated
120 volt lines run in by accident, you can get 240 by using a trick I
learned from an old electrician. Just put each source into its own
fuse box and then turn one of the boxes upside down. That'll invert
one of the two up and down sine waves to down and up, giving you 240.
DO NOT just turn the box sideways, since that'll give you 165 volts
and you'll be limited to just using Canadian tools with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 2:33*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 10, 4:51*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:

The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

To expand on what I said.
If two motors have suddenly reversed,it is likely they are three phase
and some repair work done locally has resulted in the phases being
reconnected in a different order.

Check the motor connections, if there are three wires, it is a three
phase motor. If you disconnect and switch over any two of theses wires
it will fix the problem.
The best place to do this however is where the wires enter the
building and you only have to do it once, noton every three phase
machine.

On the chance that I'm just feeding a troll (the OP, not you), I'll
respond to your explanation.

The OP use the words "both of my circular saws".

So here's what has to be happening for your explanation to be correct.

1 - On the assumption that there are no 3-phase hand held circular
saws, the OP is using the term normally associated with a hand-held
circulare saw for a 3-phase table saw.
2 - If # 1 is true, then the OP has 2 (he said "both") 3-phase table
saws.
3 - If # 2 is true, then we've got an OP with a fairly substantial
shop.
4 - If # 3 is true, do we really think that the OP would use the wrong
term for a 3-phase table saw plus not know that his wiring has been
recently altered such that his 3-phase table saw have suddenly
reversed?

I'll be very surprsied if all of the above are true.

I won't be surprised if this is a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote the following on 7/10/2012 11:51 AM (ET):
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? What could have caused this?

You're looking at the wrong side of the CS.
Look at the other side.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Remove and reveres face of the blade?

"Dick Adams" wrote in message ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? What could have caused this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably designed that way by the manufacturer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? What could have caused this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:

Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in message ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:51:29 AM UTC-7, Dick Adams wrote:
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? What could have caused this?

Unplug it, turn the plug over and plug it in again. It will now spin in the opposite direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 02:18:14 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.

But I've never seen a three phase hand held circular saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 5:18*am, harry wrote:
On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "

wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.

Nor have I ever seen a three phase motor suddenly up and
change rotational directions without some kind of major
problem form the power company or someone rewiring
incorrectly on premises...

When you drop a phase on a 3-phase motor it doesn't
put out its rated HP and won't handle a loaded condition...
It doesn't all of the sudden start rotating backwards...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 5:49*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 02:18:14 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.

But I've never seen a three phase hand held circular saw.

I pointed that out to him earlier in the thread. Perhaps he is
ignoring me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 11:51*am, Evan wrote:
On Jul 12, 5:18*am, harry wrote:

On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "

wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.

Nor have I ever seen a three phase motor suddenly up and
change rotational directions without some kind of major
problem form the power company or someone rewiring
incorrectly on premises...

When you drop a phase on a 3-phase motor it doesn't
put out its rated HP and won't handle a loaded condition...
It doesn't all of the sudden start rotating backwards...- Hide quoted text -

It's avery common problem if someone has been replacing cables on the
power supply system and hasn't checkedto phase rotation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 4:20*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 12, 5:49*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 02:18:14 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.

But I've never seen a three phase hand held circular saw.

I pointed that out to him earlier in the thread. Perhaps he is
ignoring me.- Hide quoted text -

We don't know if it's a bench saw or a hand held saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 12:22*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 12, 4:20*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jul 12, 5:49*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 02:18:14 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.

But I've never seen a three phase hand held circular saw.

I pointed that out to him earlier in the thread. Perhaps he is
ignoring me.- Hide quoted text -

We don't know if it's a bench saw or a hand held saw.- Hide quoted text -

A synopis:

I doubt that the OP has two 3 phase "bench saws", mistakenly called
them "circular saws" - a term typically reserved for hand held saws
only - and also doesn't know that his 3 phase power was recently
altered.

If he really has two 3 phase "bench saws", then he has a fairly
sophisticated workshop and should know if his power has been worked
on.

You'll notice that we haven't heard back from the OP, haven't you?

Methinks it's at best an attempt at humor, at worst a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.

You are a complete idiot, harry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:20:39 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jul 12, 5:49*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 02:18:14 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:34:42 -0400, "Grumpy" wrote:
Remove and reveres face of the blade?

It'll still turn the same direction.

"Dick Adams" wrote in ...
The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning
counter-clockwise? *What could have caused this?

Don't feed the trolls.

Not neccessarily a troll. This is a common problem with three phase
supplies.

But I've never seen a three phase hand held circular saw.

I pointed that out to him earlier in the thread. Perhaps he is
ignoring me.

How did you get so lucky?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:20:24 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Jul 12, 11:51*am, Evan wrote:
On Jul 12, 5:18*am, harry wrote:

On Jul 11, 12:45*am, "

wrote:
[...]

Not with circular saws, it isn't, moron. I doubt in all of history that it's
happened once.