Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arska

Default Flashtube polarity

I have a flashtube (Novatron 2000/2001/2060, 500J 800V), but I don't know
the polarity .

Would you help me, is there any polarity of this tube, if there is which one
is cathode ??

I have two pictures of it :
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ari.n/valokuvat/flashtube01.jpg
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ari.n/valokuvat/flashtube02.jpg

Best Regards, Ari Nousiainen

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Arska" wrote in message
I have a flashtube (Novatron 2000/2001/2060, 500J 800V), but I don't know
the polarity .

Would you help me, is there any polarity of this tube, if there is which
one
is cathode ??

I have two pictures of it :
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ari.n/valokuvat/flashtube01.jpg
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ari.n/valokuvat/flashtube02.jpg

Best Regards, Ari Nousiainen

When I played with these things some years ago, making disco strobe lights,
and car timing strobe lights, I don't recall there being any polarity
issues. Just a tube with two internal electrodes, an external striking
electrode, and some xenon gas, as far as I'm aware.

There is a huge amount of useful material available on the net, including a
large site from Sam Goldwasser, who regularly posts on here. Just Google for
" Xenon flash tubes "

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Arska" writes:

I have a flashtube (Novatron 2000/2001/2060, 500J 800V), but I don't know
the polarity .

Would you help me, is there any polarity of this tube, if there is which one
is cathode ??

I have two pictures of it :
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ari.n/valokuvat/flashtube01.jpg
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ari.n/valokuvat/flashtube02.jpg

I can't see any differences between the electrodes, can you?

* Any red markings or "+" markings indicate the anode.

* With no markings but electrodes of unequal size, the larger one is the
cathode.

* If both ends look identical but the trigger electrode is closer to one
electrode, or more coupled to one electrode, then that electrode is the
cathode.

* If the tube looks symmetric except for having a getter at only one end,
it is probably preferable to make the getter end the cathode, especially
if any getter material exists on the electrode itself. Any vaporized
getter metal forms positive ions easily, and will be attracted to the
cathode. Metal vapor released around the anode is more likely to condense
all over the tube and discolor it.

* If both ends of the flashtube look alike except for one electrode being
shinier and with rounded edges, then the shiny electrode with rounded
edges is the anode, and the steel-gray (tungsten) sharply cylindrical
one is the cathode.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Arfa Daily" writes:

"Arska" wrote in message
[...]

With some, it makes a big difference. See my other post, or the Strobe
FAQ at the sites below.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Arska" wrote in message
I have a flashtube (Novatron 2000/2001/2060, 500J 800V), but I don't know
the polarity .

Would you help me, is there any polarity of this tube, if there is which
one
is cathode ??

I have two pictures of it :
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ari.n/valokuvat/flashtube01.jpg