Posted to alt.home.repair

Default recharge auto a.c.

I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very
much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do
they work and how do you use them? Thanks for
any reply

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2012 5:44 AM, Herb Eneva wrote:
I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very
much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do
they work and how do you use them? Thanks for
any reply

I assume it uses R134a, the auto parts stores carry a kit with a gauge
but be careful and follow the directions because too much refrigerant
will impair the operation of your AC. There are many videos on YouTube
that can give you a good idea about how to proceed with recharging and
testing your AC. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes.
Follow instructions provided.

Worth noting. Other things do go wrong, in addition to "low freon". So, you
might buy a kit, and waste your money. My Dad asked me to look at his car AC
this weekend. I checked a few things. Got plenty of refrigerant, and the
problem turned out to be electrical.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very
much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do
they work and how do you use them? Thanks for
any reply

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very
much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do
they work and how do you use them? Thanks for
any reply

The auto parts stores sell an inexpensive low side gauge that can be
used to check it out first or perhaps it's part of their loan a tool
program or one of the store employees might actually check it for you. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very
much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do
they work and how do you use them? Thanks for
any reply

The auto parts stores sell an inexpensive low side gauge that can be
used to check it out first or perhaps it's part of their loan a tool
program or one of the store employees might actually check it for you. ^_^

TDD

Recharge kits work sometimes. But if you're going to keep the car,
use a dyed r134. That way if the r134 leaks out you know what needs
fixing.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very
much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do
they work and how do you use them? Thanks for
any reply

The auto parts stores sell an inexpensive low side gauge that can be
used to check it out first or perhaps it's part of their loan a tool
program or one of the store employees might actually check it for you. ^_^

TDD

Recharge kits work sometimes. But if you're going to keep the car,
use a dyed r134. That way if the r134 leaks out you know what needs
fixing.

I own all sorts of leak detectors including a 100 watt UV flood light
that has helped me find pinhole leaks on large commercial systems and
it will illuminate the whole engine compartment of a vehicle. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:23:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I own all sorts of leak detectors including a 100 watt UV flood light
that has helped me find pinhole leaks on large commercial systems and
it will illuminate the whole engine compartment of a vehicle. ^_^

TDD

Even if you end up taking the car to a shop, the dye can avoid a shop
recharge with dye. Saves you money. Some shops don't use sniffers.
My last fix on my Lumina we used 2 4' UV tubes in a shop-light fixture
to finally find the condenser leak after moving a radiator cowl aside.
Sure beats a UV penlight.

--
Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/12 06:44 am, Herb Eneva wrote:

I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very
much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do
they work and how do you use them? Thanks for
any reply

I have just found out that AutoZone sells a DVD on A/C maintenance and
overhaul for US$7.99. I did learn some things that I didn't know, put I
still need the information that is specific to my '02 Chrysler 300M.

The DVD covers testing, recharging ("topping up"), removal and
replacement of condenser, accumulator or receiver-drier, compressor and
lines, purging and refilling but not of replacing the evaporator (which
is what I need to do).

The vehicle on which he demonstrated was a Chevy truck.

The auto parts stores sell recharge kits that include a a leak sealant,
but I have read that these are not recommended: e.g., if your vehicle
were still in warranty, use of such a product would void the warranty.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The auto parts stores sell recharge kits that include a a leak sealant,
but I have read that these are not recommended: e.g., if your vehicle
were still in warranty, use of such a product would void the warranty.

On top of which, unless one confirms there's not a leak of any
significance; it's pretty much a crapshoot as to whether the recharge
will last any time at all...

GM are (recently it seems) prone to blow compressor seals...had two in
last year (98 and 99 PUs and neither has 100k on it) whereas generally
I've had GM vehicles that never lost a charge entire time had
tem...perhaps there's some issue w/ not as many miles and new
refrigerants and seals; I don't know but I do know I'm not happy...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 15:36:43 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

If you have a leaker that you are going to scrap next year, use it.
If you have any thoughts of having it "properly" repaired later,
FORGET IT. The sealer CAN do nasty things to the refrigerant
reclaiming systems and vacuum pumps used to do the proper repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I poured green goo out of the receiver-dryer on a Chevy van after an
idiot kept putting can after can of R134a with leak sealer into the
system. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

TDD you wrong how ales will AC work on vehicle uses you put some
Preston antifreeze in it

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

TDD you wrong how ales will AC work on vehicle unless you put some
Preston antifreeze in it

Posted to alt.home.repair

my vans ac has been a bit anemic lately. yesterday the van
overheated.......

i found the coolant level was very low. 1.5 gallons put in today i
spent time cleaning out my van with the AC on and engine idiling. no
leaks found but the AC was notably better.

if your AC isnt cooling well wait till your vehicles engine is totally
cold and check the radiators coolant level.

my overflow bottle looked fine, but the radiator was near
empty......... how wierd