Old May 29th 06, 02:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

Default Recharge my home's own A/C

I have a manifold set and 30lb can of R-22 refrigerant and need to top
off my home AC system that seems to need a recharge every 3-4 years.
Is there a do-it-yourself guide that shows how to locate the low
pressure recharge point and steps a repair person through it? I've
googled the subject and not found anything! I really do not want to
pay a repair man $100 to add one pound of refrigerant into the system,
when I own the coolant and tools. Thanks in advance.

Old May 29th 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

id get a good book on the subject and read it.. might search hvac
books..

Old May 29th 06, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

Rick wrote:

I have a manifold set and 30lb can of R-22 refrigerant and need to top
off my home AC system that seems to need a recharge every 3-4 years.
Is there a do-it-yourself guide that shows how to locate the low
pressure recharge point and steps a repair person through it? I've
googled the subject and not found anything! I really do not want to
pay a repair man $100 to add one pound of refrigerant into the system,
when I own the coolant and tools. Thanks in advance.

The leak should be fixed.

You need far more than a manifold gage to accurately charge an air
conditioner!
Read and learn what you need in instruments and know-how. - udarrell -
Darrell
After you know what to ask a service tech, call and get the leak located
and fixed, ask the tech to use your R-22.

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html
Old May 29th 06, 03:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a manifold set and 30lb can of R-22 refrigerant and need to top
off my home AC system that seems to need a recharge every 3-4 years.
Is there a do-it-yourself guide that shows how to locate the low
pressure recharge point and steps a repair person through it? I've
googled the subject and not found anything! I really do not want to
pay a repair man $100 to add one pound of refrigerant into the system,
when I own the coolant and tools. Thanks in advance.

I would start buy Finding the leak, the refrigerant must be going
somewhere. These days $100 dollars isn't a lot to pay for experience and
convenience. Plus if you need special tools, Gauges, hoses, regulator, buy
the time you chase all that down what do you really save? There's a real
fine line between saving money and Cheap stupidity.

Old May 29th 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

Plus, isn't it illegal to recharge a leaking AC system? I like to do
as many repairs as I can myself, but if my AC was leaking, I'd gladly
pay to have it fixed right once, instead of hacking around.

Old May 29th 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a manifold set and 30lb can of R-22 refrigerant and need to top
off my home AC system that seems to need a recharge every 3-4 years.
Is there a do-it-yourself guide that shows how to locate the low
pressure recharge point and steps a repair person through it? I've
googled the subject and not found anything! I really do not want to
pay a repair man $100 to add one pound of refrigerant into the system,
when I own the coolant and tools. Thanks in advance.

the low pressure port is on the side with the larger tube.Make sure the can
is upright with the hose out the top when putting refrigerant in the low
side.Add a little at a time with the system running till the system runs
right.
BE AWARE you may be breaking the law...it would be best to bite the bullet
and get this system fixed right as the tech may spot something that will
save you from total replacement later.Talk to the tech about trading the
refrigerant you have to him for a discount??

Old May 29th 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Rick wrote:
I have a manifold set and 30lb can of R-22 refrigerant and need to top
off my home AC system that seems to need a recharge every 3-4 years.
Is there a do-it-yourself guide that shows how to locate the low
pressure recharge point and steps a repair person through it? I've
googled the subject and not found anything! I really do not want to
pay a repair man $100 to add one pound of refrigerant into the system,
when I own the coolant and tools. Thanks in advance.

Step #1 fix the leak.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 29th 06, 08:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Doofus

"Rick" wrote:

I have a manifold set and 30lb can of R-22 refrigerant and need to top
off my home AC system that seems to need a recharge every 3-4 years.
Is there a do-it-yourself guide that shows how to locate the low
pressure recharge point and steps a repair person through it? I've
googled the subject and not found anything! I really do not want to
pay a repair man $100 to add one pound of refrigerant into the system,
when I own the coolant and tools. Thanks in advance.

Ask over in alt.hvac. This is their kind of question.

Old May 29th 06, 08:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Doofus wrote:
"Rick" wrote:

I have a manifold set and 30lb can of R-22 refrigerant and need to
top off my home AC system that seems to need a recharge every 3-4
years. Is there a do-it-yourself guide that shows how to locate the
low pressure recharge point and steps a repair person through it?
I've googled the subject and not found anything! I really do not
want to pay a repair man $100 to add one pound of refrigerant into
the system, when I own the coolant and tools. Thanks in advance.

Ask over in alt.hvac. This is their kind of question.

You are mean. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

After Pushing Up Prices, Investors Are Left Holding Too Many Homes - Wash. Post fraser Home Repair 29 May 2nd 06 06:58 PM
Save Our Homes Portability Amendment miamicuse Home Repair 0 February 25th 06 04:15 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
US homes vulnerable to Tornados ( wooden), why not use concrete? Joseph Home Ownership 25 July 30th 04 09:18 PM
Habitat Homes and Property Values J SKerry Home Ownership 10 March 27th 04 05:01 AM