Posted to alt.home.repair
grumpy grumpy is offline

Default recharge auto a.c.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...
On 7/3/2012 3:42 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 15:36:43 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 07/03/12 06:44 am, Herb Eneva wrote:

I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very
much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do
they work and how do you use them? Thanks for
any reply

I have just found out that AutoZone sells a DVD on A/C maintenance and
overhaul for US$7.99. I did learn some things that I didn't know, put I
still need the information that is specific to my '02 Chrysler 300M.

The DVD covers testing, recharging ("topping up"), removal and
replacement of condenser, accumulator or receiver-drier, compressor and
lines, purging and refilling but not of replacing the evaporator (which
is what I need to do).

The vehicle on which he demonstrated was a Chevy truck.

The auto parts stores sell recharge kits that include a a leak sealant,
but I have read that these are not recommended: e.g., if your vehicle
were still in warranty, use of such a product would void the warranty.

Perce

If you have a leaker that you are going to scrap next year, use it.
If you have any thoughts of having it "properly" repaired later,
FORGET IT. The sealer CAN do nasty things to the refrigerant
reclaiming systems and vacuum pumps used to do the proper repair.

I poured green goo out of the receiver-dryer on a Chevy van after an idiot kept putting can after can of R134a with
leak sealer into the system. ^_^

TDD

TDD you wrong how ales will AC work on vehicle uses you put some
Preston antifreeze in it