Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gap at bottom of door

I'm in the process of re-painting my front door and adjusting the
glass pane in the door.

When I took off the bottom cover on the door I discovered yet another
trick the builder used to cut costs and rip me off.

There is A GAPING ONE INCH GAP between the bottom of the door and the
metal panel that it closes onto !!!

The plastic cover at the bottom of the door has served little more
than a visual finishing.
Cold and noise have obviously been coming in through that gap for
years.

I don't know what type of door it is metal/wood?
But whatever is the cheapest available, that's it!

I would like to close that one inch gap as best as possible.

Would anyone be able to suggest the best method?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 18:41:42 -0700 (PDT), Rick Greenspoon
wrote:

There is A GAPING ONE INCH GAP between the bottom of the door and the
metal panel that it closes onto !!!

The plastic cover at the bottom of the door has served little more
than a visual finishing.
Cold and noise have obviously been coming in through that gap for
years.

I don't know what type of door it is metal/wood?
But whatever is the cheapest available, that's it!

I would like to close that one inch gap as best as possible.

Would anyone be able to suggest the best method?

TIA

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. "Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it with
insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
There is A GAPING ONE INCH GAP between the bottom of the door and the
metal panel that it closes onto !!!

The plastic cover at the bottom of the door has served little more
than a visual finishing.
Cold and noise have obviously been coming in through that gap for
years.

I don't know what type of door it is metal/wood?
But whatever is the cheapest available, that's it! *

I would like to close that one inch gap as best as possible.

Would anyone be able to suggest the best method?

TIA

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. *The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. *"Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it with
insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. *That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.- Hide quoted text -

My thoughts exactly - anyone who can't tell the difference between
metal and wood probably shouldn't be trying to do anything this
complicatedg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 10:23*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. *The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. *"Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it with
insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. *That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Thanks!
So you're saying that noise wouldn't be making its way in through that
gap?
It is my understanding that open gaps, windows etc. are the prime
culprits for letting noise into a house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 19:47:09 -0700 (PDT), GoogaICQ
wrote:

On Jul 1, 10:23*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. *The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. *"Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it with
insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. *That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Thanks!
So you're saying that noise wouldn't be making its way in through that
gap?
It is my understanding that open gaps, windows etc. are the prime
culprits for letting noise into a house.

Perhaps a tiny bit, but not all that much. Air gaps also make better
insulation than many solid materials.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I always try to help people, and in most cases suggest DIY rather than
calling a professional. But if the OP can not tell the difference
between wood and metal, he really should call a pro carpenter. I mean,
COME ON, EVEN A MORON SHOULD KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/1/2012 9:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Maybe it's neither...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 08:18:52 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/1/2012 9:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Maybe it's neither...

Yea, mine's fiberglass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 1, 10:23 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. "Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it
with insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Thanks!
So you're saying that noise wouldn't be making its way in through
that gap?
It is my understanding that open gaps, windows etc. are the prime
culprits for letting noise into a house.

Perhaps a tiny bit, but not all that much. Air gaps also make better
insulation than many solid materials.

Now that's funny! Open gaps make better insulators?? Really?

I guess it would be warmer to build houses with no walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

http://www.reflectwindow.com/product...r-Doors/473744

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 1, 10:23 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. "Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it
with insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Thanks!
So you're saying that noise wouldn't be making its way in through
that gap?
It is my understanding that open gaps, windows etc. are the prime
culprits for letting noise into a house.

Perhaps a tiny bit, but not all that much. Air gaps also make better
insulation than many solid materials.

Now that's funny! Open gaps make better insulators?? Really?

I guess it would be warmer to build houses with no walls.

Air gaps DO make good insulation as long as there is no air FLOW. It
is the air trapped in fiberglass and sryrofoam insulation that gives
the insulation value, not the glass or styrene.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I'm not sure what I've got but whatever it is, it's not very solid.
When I took the window out I could see styrofoam filling almost the

Does one call that a metal door, or a styrofoam door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

OK now I could use your help once again.
I'm trying to put the hardware back on the door and am having a really
tough time putting the main door handle back on.

The two screws that hold the handle are relatively shallow and I can't
find the holes! I believe I got one of the two on, but I can't get the
second bugger on!

I've been working on it for almost a half hour now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 14:08:25 -0700 (PDT), GoogaICQ
wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:18Â*am, dpb wrote:
On 7/1/2012 9:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Maybe it's neither...

--

I'm not sure what I've got but whatever it is, it's not very solid.
When I took the window out I could see styrofoam filling almost the
entire door, except for a 16th" or 32nd" sheet of metal on either
side.

Does one call that a metal door, or a styrofoam door?

That is your classic "insulated metal" door. It has a wooden frame
around the outside, and a wooden block where the latches fit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
There is A GAPING ONE INCH GAP between the bottom of the door and the
metal panel that it closes onto !!!

The plastic cover at the bottom of the door has served little more
than a visual finishing.
Cold and noise have obviously been coming in through that gap for
years.

I don't know what type of door it is metal/wood?
But whatever is the cheapest available, that's it! Â*

I would like to close that one inch gap as best as possible.

Would anyone be able to suggest the best method?

TIA

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. Â*The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. Â*"Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it with
insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. Â*That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

OK now I could use your help once again.
I'm trying to put the hardware back on the door and am having a really
tough time putting the main door handle back on.

The two screws that hold the handle are relatively shallow and I can't
find the holes! I believe I got one of the two on, but I can't get the
second bugger on!

I've been working on it for almost a half hour now.

You need to line it up carefully, because the screws going throughthe
inside knob or latch mounting plate screw into threaded tubes on the
outer half. If not lined up perfectly you totally miss the tiny hole
in the almost as tiny tube. You want to line everything up visually,
using a flashlight if necessary, then start BOTH screws before
attempting to tighten either one. Usually a minute or two does it once
you get it figured out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 7:01*pm, wrote:

Does one call that a metal door, or a styrofoam door? *

*That is your classic "insulated metal" door. It has a wooden frame
around the outside, and a wooden block where the latches fit.

Fascinating!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 1, 10:23 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. "Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it
with insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Thanks!
So you're saying that noise wouldn't be making its way in through
that gap?
It is my understanding that open gaps, windows etc. are the prime
culprits for letting noise into a house.

Perhaps a tiny bit, but not all that much. Air gaps also make better
insulation than many solid materials.

Now that's funny! Open gaps make better insulators?? Really?

I guess it would be warmer to build houses with no walls.

What is funny is your lack of reading comprehension. Did I say Open?
No. I said AIR gap. if the channel on the bottom of the door is
hollow, it would be an air gap and provide insulation. Look up how
insulation works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:18*am, dpb wrote:
On 7/1/2012 9:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Maybe it's neither...

--

I'm not sure what I've got but whatever it is, it's not very solid.
When I took the window out I could see styrofoam filling almost the
entire door, except for a 16th" or 32nd" sheet of metal on either
side.

Does one call that a metal door, or a styrofoam door?

That qualifies as a metal door. The foam is sandwiched between the
metal and everything is rigid and it is well insulated.

Bottom of garage door question Mike Home Repair 45 December 10th 09 11:45 PM
garage door bottom rollers z Home Repair 3 November 7th 08 04:51 AM
Bottom of door rotting AnthonyL UK diy 6 August 1st 07 09:32 AM
Strip for bottom of garage door? Terry Pinnell UK diy 11 January 17th 07 12:00 PM
how much can I trim off a door (top and bottom) Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 9 April 20th 05 02:20 PM