Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gap at bottom of door

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:40:00 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 19:47:09 -0700 (PDT), GoogaICQ
wrote:

On Jul 1, 10:23 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Probably not anywhere near as bad as you say. The cover is designed
to do exactly what it did, fill in the gap. "Expanders" are quite
common on some door styles.

Take the door off and glue a piece of wood in place, or, fill it
with insulation and put it back using the same screw holes. That is
probably the best bet as you don't know metal from wood.

Thanks!
So you're saying that noise wouldn't be making its way in through
that gap?
It is my understanding that open gaps, windows etc. are the prime
culprits for letting noise into a house.

Perhaps a tiny bit, but not all that much. Air gaps also make better
insulation than many solid materials.

Now that's funny! Open gaps make better insulators?? Really?

I guess it would be warmer to build houses with no walls.

Air gaps DO make good insulation as long as there is no air FLOW. It
is the air trapped in fiberglass and sryrofoam insulation that gives
the insulation value, not the glass or styrene.