Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you know whether quiet rock will block out the following noise?

The person who lives in the apartment above me has been venting on me by doing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing boxes etc. I can only take this to mean that I am really disturbing her by talking at night. Therefore I got the idea to put quiet rock on my ceiling so that she can't hear me anymore and I figure that while I'm at it, I might as well find out if the quiet rock will block out a talk radio station coming out of a laptop radio. Sirius radio raises the volume of their commercials and so much so that if I leave the volume on a level that doesn't blast their commercials, then I can't hear what's being said when the programs are on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got to admit, this is a lot of work, and creativity, for a troll.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Christopher Protter" wrote in message
The person who lives in the apartment above me has been venting on me by
doing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing
boxes etc. I can only take this to mean that I am really disturbing her by
talking at night. Therefore I got the idea to put quiet rock on my ceiling
so that she can't hear me anymore and I figure that while I'm at it, I might
as well find out if the quiet rock will block out a talk radio station
coming out of a laptop radio. Sirius radio raises the volume of their
commercials and so much so that if I leave the volume on a level that
doesn't blast their commercials, then I can't hear what's being said when
the programs are on.

Does quiet rock work well enough so that during the summertime at odd hours
I can play the radio louder than usual in order to hear it over my
air-conditioner? The quiet rock would only be on the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Christopher Protter wrote:
[...]

White noise is the traditional solution to such problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 11:51*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Christopher Protter wrote:
[...]

White noise is the traditional solution to such problems.- Hide quoted text -

One obvious issue would be if this is an apartment, does
he have permission to put up quiet rock? It obviously isn't
going to be cheap and it will probably **** off the upstairs
person even more while it's going on. If the issue is
just late night radio, perhaps some quality earbuds would
be an easier solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 2:44*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:51*am, "Bob F" wrote:

Christopher Protter wrote:
[...]

be an easier solution.- Hide quoted text -

Hang it with these so as not to **** off the upstairs neighbor:

http://andyralph.com/sculpture/rubber-nails/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 7:19*pm, Christopher Protter
wrote:
[...]

probably better to pull downthe cieling, install sound dampening
insulation. mount new drywall the sound deadening type, on rails to
minimize sound transmission
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Sound dampening only helps cut down on interior wall reverberation. It does
little to prevent sound transmission. Mass is needed, and studding, or
joists, that are only drywalled on one side. Isolated system.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

There is a fire/sound insulation, a lot thicker and heavier than fiberglass
batts, which will attenuate better than fiberglass batts. Still need
isolated studs.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:19:04 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Protter
wrote:

[...]

-------

Quiet rock? Hell, get a 5000 watt sound system, crank it wide open, and
play Heavy Metal music, 24/7.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Protter wrote:

[...]

You could try egg-flats. One tiny nail in each one won't be
a disaster if it doesn't work--a little spackle and your
back to square one. I once did the walls, doors, and
ceiling of a small bedroom that way, and the effect was
amazing. About the only sounds noticed (that weren't
created inside the room) were the vague, bassy rumblings
from big-rigs on the road about 50 yards away. It was
actually erie!

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Protter wrote:
[...]

Carpeting the walls and ceiling with a heavy carpet or thick
undercarpet latment stuff will also isolate a room fairly well