Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default What storm windows block outside noise?

I have inconsiderate neighbors that insist on letting their dog bark for long periods of time
(sometimes after midnight til 4am). While I feel like I should shoot the dog, it isnt his fault. I
shoud kill the neighbors instead. But before I do....

I am looking to replace the windows in my house. They are probably 40 years old and aluminum. I know
they arent doing a good job because on cold nights like tonight, I can feel cold air coming through.
In the summer when these same idiotic neighbors are out in their yard (50 feet away from mine), I
can hear every word of their conversations even when my bedroom windows are closed.

I want to soundproof my rooms as much as I can without spending a fortune. I want to be able to open
the windows when it is nice out (if it isnt noisy) and be able to shut them to make it quiet. I also
live about 200-300 feet from a pretty major road and can hear a slight constant whirring from the
cars.

Does anyone have any such windows that keep the noise (and cold) out of their home effectively that
they can recommend. I am one step away from selling my home because of these idiots behind me. But I
will do what I can first to avoid that. Oh, talking to then is out of the question. I need to take
action from my side.

Thanks.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Tony wrote:
[...]

Any quality brand of insulated-glass old-work replacement windows,
PROPERLY INSTALLED, will make a world of difference, in sound and
heating/cooling costs. Ignore the vinyl windows they will try to sell
you- go for real wood or clad wood. Make sure the install cost includes
proper flashing and insulation of the dead spaces around the windows.
Won't be cheap (even with remodel companies scratching for work), but
once housing market stabilizes, should probably mostly pay for itself on
resale. Additional sound deadening can come from thick drapes, hung as
tightly to window as possible.

--
aem sends...
Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:11:40 -0500, Tony
wrote:

I have inconsiderate neighbors that insist on letting their dog bark for long periods of time
(sometimes after midnight til 4am). While I feel like I should shoot the dog, it isnt his fault. I
shoud kill the neighbors instead. But before I do....

Seems to me that you should report this barking dog to the authorities
so they can rescue the dog and solve the problem that way, saving you
countless dollars. Unless, of course, you live someplace that has no
noise or nuisance ordinances. Most cities do, though, if you're in an
urban/suburban area, so call city hall first. I feel bad for the dog.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Tony" wrote in message

I have inconsiderate neighbors that insist on letting their dog bark for

long periods . . .
I am looking to replace the windows in my house. . . .
I want to soundproof my rooms as much as I can without spending a fortune.

In general curtains muffle outdoor sound much better than glass
(although two panes exclude sound better than one.) We condole
that you live in a place without quiet night laws (or with unenforced laws.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jan 27, 9:11*pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

First call the cops after 10 pm on the dog. Dual pane glass does
reduce sound. What heat zone are you , what you have now is honestly
crap in insulation value.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , aemeijers wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

I think 98% of the windows I have seen are vinyl. Most installers do it
too quickly. After replacing my old wooden windows I found I spent at
least 5-6 hours on each. I did 9 windows.

In the old house they installed 6-7 windows in less than 8 hours. Less
than perfect but typical.

New double argon insulated windows will help. Tight air seals are absolutely
necessary for noise control.

Barking dogs should be INSIDE.

greg
Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Jan 28, 3:39*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

I have inconsiderate neighbors that insist on letting their dog bark for

long periods . . .
I am looking to replace the windows in my house. . . .
I want to soundproof my rooms as much as I can without spending a fortune.

In general curtains muffle outdoor sound much better than glass
(although two panes exclude sound better than one.) *We condole
that you live in a place without quiet night laws (or with unenforced laws.)

Curtains will also help with the cold.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , WDS wrote:
On Jan 28, 3:39=A0pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

I have inconsiderate neighbors that insist on letting their dog bark fo=

long periods . . .
I am looking to replace the windows in my house. . . .
I want to soundproof my rooms as much as I can without spending a fortu=

ne.

In general curtains muffle outdoor sound much better than glass
(although two panes exclude sound better than one.) =A0We condole
that you live in a place without quiet night laws (or with unenforced law=

s.)

Curtains will also help with the cold.

Agreed.

If curtains were better at noise control, you could do away with the glass.

They do make triple pane windows !!

greg

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jan 27, 9:11*pm, Tony wrote:

I want to soundproof my rooms as much as I can without spending a fortune.. I want to be able to open
the windows when it is nice out (if it isnt noisy) and be able to shut them to make it quiet. I also
live about 200-300 feet from a pretty major road and can hear a slight constant whirring from the
cars.

Casement windows have less air leakage, and depending on your climate
look at double or triple pane windows with thicker glass. If you get
casement windows make sure that when they open they aren't channeling
noise into your house.

Does anyone have any such windows that keep the noise (and cold) out of their home effectively that
they can recommend. I am one step away from selling my home because of these idiots behind me. But I
will do what I can first to avoid that. Oh, talking to then is out of the question. I need to take
action from my side.

Change your windows, it will help sell the house.

--
Ron