Posted to misc.consumers.house
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What storm windows block outside noise?

Tony wrote:
I have inconsiderate neighbors that insist on letting their dog bark for long periods of time
(sometimes after midnight til 4am). While I feel like I should shoot the dog, it isnt his fault. I
shoud kill the neighbors instead. But before I do....

I am looking to replace the windows in my house. They are probably 40 years old and aluminum. I know
they arent doing a good job because on cold nights like tonight, I can feel cold air coming through.
In the summer when these same idiotic neighbors are out in their yard (50 feet away from mine), I
can hear every word of their conversations even when my bedroom windows are closed.

I want to soundproof my rooms as much as I can without spending a fortune. I want to be able to open
the windows when it is nice out (if it isnt noisy) and be able to shut them to make it quiet. I also
live about 200-300 feet from a pretty major road and can hear a slight constant whirring from the
cars.

Does anyone have any such windows that keep the noise (and cold) out of their home effectively that
they can recommend. I am one step away from selling my home because of these idiots behind me. But I
will do what I can first to avoid that. Oh, talking to then is out of the question. I need to take
action from my side.

Thanks.

Any quality brand of insulated-glass old-work replacement windows,
PROPERLY INSTALLED, will make a world of difference, in sound and
heating/cooling costs. Ignore the vinyl windows they will try to sell
you- go for real wood or clad wood. Make sure the install cost includes
proper flashing and insulation of the dead spaces around the windows.
Won't be cheap (even with remodel companies scratching for work), but
once housing market stabilizes, should probably mostly pay for itself on
resale. Additional sound deadening can come from thick drapes, hung as
tightly to window as possible.

--
aem sends...