Tim Fischer

Default Road noise killing my peace and quiet!

wrote in message
I have a 2 story colonial house on what was originally a low traffic
secondary road.
Thanks to the greedy SOB's in my town, this road is now traversed my all
kinds of cars/18 wheelers and so forth at all hours of the day and night.

My home is 4 years old [snip]

I can sympathize with your problem but what do you mean "greedy SOB's"?
Your home is 4 years old-- did you consider when you bought it that the area
would be further developed? Of course a "low traffic secondary road" would
become busier as the neighborhoods get developed!

If that's not the case/issue, I'm curious why traffic has drastically picked
up in a 4-year span.

-Tim

Java Man (Espressopithecus)

In article , keys1912
@yahoo.com says...
I have a 2 story colonial house on what was originally a low traffic
secondary road.
Thanks to the greedy SOB's in my town, this road is now traversed my all
kinds of cars/18 wheelers and so forth at all hours of the day and night.

My home is 4 years old and thankfully built with 2x6 construction
throughout so when I close the Windows I really don't hear too much.

However, I like my fresh air and would like to keep Windows open at times.

I am 60 ft set back from the road and the noise is MUCH WORSE on the second
floor, with windows open and this is where the bedrooms are of course.

Any suggestions as to what type of landscaping or fence (I was thinking
classic 4ft white picket variety) would be best at breaking up the noise?
I of course have to follow code, but analyzing the sound (I happen to be an
EE) with a sound meter, seems to indicate that the majority of sound
travels across the ground (grass) and up the front side of the house.

You need mass. The fence must block the direct line from the whatever
emits the noise to your house (e.g. 18 wheeler exhaust pipe???), it must
be solid, and it must have a lot of mass.

Rick
diezmon

We had the same problem in a previous home. Unfortunately, for us, having a
fence would not block the noise in the second floor. Are you sure a fence
will do it? It may have to be a pretty HIGH fence!

Ultimately, we ended up moving. I prefer to hear birds and crickets when my
windows are open, not road noise.

Tim

--
It's cooler by the lake...
http://webpages.charter.net/timdiez

wrote in message
[...]

Any ideas?

tia!!

flacco

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:35:24 +0000, keys191 wrote:

Thanks to the greedy SOB's in my town, this road is now traversed my all
kinds of cars/18 wheelers and so forth at all hours of the day and

night.

one word: landmines.

sure, it may be a little noisier at first, but you'd be amazed how quickly
traffic drops off once word gets around.

mark Ransley

yea but rt flaco wasnt kidding --roadkill-

Tim Fischer

wrote in message
In my particular case, they bought some state owned land and are putting

up
million dollar homes as well as a PRC and they extended the road so that
now it goes up towards the main highway making it a shortcut.

Well, one thing you can do is work with the city to outlaw trucks on this
stretch. There's also things that can be done to keep through traffic out.

Try banding with neighbors-- citizens groups can get a lot done if everyone
works together.

-Tim

Steve Fleckenstein

A major interstate and a state road run behind my home about 1/2 mile away.
I am about 100 feet higher than these roads. No way a fence would quiet
things down. Tire noise was significantly reduced when both concrete roads
were resurfaced with asphalt.

Chuck Edwards

wrote in message
[...]

Pine trees, evergreen bushes.