Posted to alt.home.repair
croy croy is offline

Default Do you know whether quiet rock will block out the following noise?

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:19:04 -0700 (PDT), Christopher
Protter wrote:

The person who lives in the apartment above me has been venting on me by doing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing boxes etc. I can only take this to mean that I am really disturbing her by talking at night. Therefore I got the idea to put quiet rock on my ceiling so that she can't hear me anymore and I figure that while I'm at it, I might as well find out if the quiet rock will block out a talk radio station coming out of a laptop radio. Sirius radio raises the volume of their commercials and so much so that if I leave the volume on a level that doesn't blast their commercials, then I can't hear what's being said when the programs are on.

Does quiet rock work well enough so that during the summertime at odd hours I can play the radio louder than usual in order to hear it over my air-conditioner? The quiet rock would only be on the ceiling.

You could try egg-flats. One tiny nail in each one won't be
a disaster if it doesn't work--a little spackle and your
back to square one. I once did the walls, doors, and
ceiling of a small bedroom that way, and the effect was
amazing. About the only sounds noticed (that weren't
created inside the room) were the vague, bassy rumblings
from big-rigs on the road about 50 yards away. It was
actually erie!

--
croy