Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HELP!! Anyone know how to calibrate an electric oven?

Before I go any further, I want to thank any and all
who have the answer. Also, I did look through about
2000 headers/subjects and didn't see this question
addressed.

I have a 10 year old Jenn-Air (which is a Maytag under
the hood).

Model # is - SVE47500W (electric)

I need to know how to calibrate the stupid oven which
is about FIFTY degrees off - to the cool side.

I've still got the Owner's Manual
I've been to Jenn-Air and Maytag sites
I've even got the wiring diagram.

NOWHERE is calibration mentioned!!!!

***HELP***

It turns expensive Rib-Eyes into pot roasts.
It turns cookies into mini-frisbees.
It turns me livid when I try to factor the settings
to where it should be - but my temp gauges ALL tell
me that I'm not good at "accounting for" temps.

TIA!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2012 3:59 PM, Mr. Frugal wrote:
Before I go any further, I want to thank any and all
who have the answer. Also, I did look through about
2000 headers/subjects and didn't see this question
addressed.

This looks like a place that might be able to help if
you asked them.
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...t-heating.html

I have a 10 year old Jenn-Air (which is a Maytag under
the hood).

Sometimes it's helpful to know if it ever worked right.
Did the error happen all at once, or drift over time?
Has it been serviced before? Wires don't always get put
back correctly.

A missing shield or bent part could be the issue.
If the sensor can "see" the element, it will shut off way
earlier than one that is shielded from the direct infrared.

Model # is - SVE47500W (electric)

I need to know how to calibrate the stupid oven which
is about FIFTY degrees off - to the cool side.

Assumes you are measuring the temperature accurately.

Are you interested in cooking well or are you just ****ed
'cause the readout is wrong. Something as simple as fixing
knob calibration may be an expensive proposition for an otherwise
functional unit.

A sticker that says, "Set temperature 50 degrees higher",
works wonders for solving the problem at low cost.

I've still got the Owner's Manual
I've been to Jenn-Air and Maytag sites
I've even got the wiring diagram.

NOWHERE is calibration mentioned!!!!

***HELP***

Would be interesting to know what percentage of the time,
the service guy knows about calibration and would perform it
as an alternative to charging you $400 for a new control board.

It turns expensive Rib-Eyes into pot roasts.
It turns cookies into mini-frisbees.
It turns me livid when I try to factor the settings
to where it should be - but my temp gauges ALL tell
me that I'm not good at "accounting for" temps.

TIA!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jun 2012 22:59:42 GMT, "Mr. Frugal" wrote:

Before I go any further, I want to thank any and all
who have the answer. Also, I did look through about
2000 headers/subjects and didn't see this question
addressed.

I have a 10 year old Jenn-Air (which is a Maytag under
the hood).

Model # is - SVE47500W (electric)

I need to know how to calibrate the stupid oven which
is about FIFTY degrees off - to the cool side.

I've still got the Owner's Manual
I've been to Jenn-Air and Maytag sites
I've even got the wiring diagram.

NOWHERE is calibration mentioned!!!!

***HELP***

It turns expensive Rib-Eyes into pot roasts.
It turns cookies into mini-frisbees.
It turns me livid when I try to factor the settings
to where it should be - but my temp gauges ALL tell
me that I'm not good at "accounting for" temps.

TIA!

Try this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...,r:2,s:0,i:147

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2012 6:59 PM, Mr. Frugal wrote:
Before I go any further, I want to thank any and all
who have the answer. Also, I did look through about
2000 headers/subjects and didn't see this question
addressed.

I have a 10 year old Jenn-Air (which is a Maytag under
the hood).

Model # is - SVE47500W (electric)

I need to know how to calibrate the stupid oven which
is about FIFTY degrees off - to the cool side.

I've still got the Owner's Manual
I've been to Jenn-Air and Maytag sites
I've even got the wiring diagram.

NOWHERE is calibration mentioned!!!!

***HELP***

It turns expensive Rib-Eyes into pot roasts.
It turns cookies into mini-frisbees.
It turns me livid when I try to factor the settings
to where it should be - but my temp gauges ALL tell
me that I'm not good at "accounting for" temps.

TIA!

This appears near the end of the user's manual:
"
The oven temperature can be adjusted if all oven temperatures are too low
or too high
and the length of time to cook ALL foods is too tong or too short. Do NOT
adjust the
temperature if only one or two items are not baking properly.
To adjust
1. Touch the Bake Pad.
2. Enter 500° by touching the number pads: "5,0,0."
3. Touch and hold the Bake Pad for 8 seconds until "00_'' appears in the
Display.
4. Touch the appropriate number pads to enter the offset temperature.
(Allowable
range is -35° to +35°,) Note: Touching the Broil Pad will change the - sign
to a
positive number or back to a negative number.
Note: Do not change the temperature setting more than 10° before checking the
oven.
5. Touch the Cancel Off Pad to return to the previous Display.
Important: The oven Should be adjusted only 10o and the oven should be tested,
(We recommend baking two 9" yellow layer cakes using a purchased box mix.)
If the
oven temperature is still too low or too high, repeat the procedure
described above.
"

I take it that an extremely accurate thermometer would work better than two
9" yellow layer cakes but who knows...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/21/2012 8:22 PM, John McGaw wrote:

I take it that an extremely accurate thermometer would work better than
two 9" yellow layer cakes but who knows...

Also might want to check how uniform a temperature gets across the oven
from upper to lower rack, front to rear, etc...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I have used my Fluke teperature probe for stuff like this.

conclusion........ ovens vary greatly and theres NO precision in their
temperature control.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

John McGaw wrote in
:

This appears near the end of the user's manual:

I really *did* look in the owner's manual I have!
Didn't see that!

Thanks very much... you saved my frugal (cheap)
rear some money. Thought it would be a sensor
getting replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...en-701886-.htm
DA wrote:
bob haller wrote:

I have used my Fluke teperature probe for stuff like this.

conclusion........ ovens vary greatly and theres NO precision in their
temperature control.....

My cheap Mastech multimeter also has a temp probe (though the short leads
make it only barely useful) and I only ever thought of checking my Samsung
electric oven today after reading this message. It's 40 deg F. *lower*
than what the oven thermometer says. But I could only reach so far into
the oven and it feels there's quite a bit of difference depending on where
exactly you measure and which heating elements are turned on.

I always thought those oven thermometers are more like a guide rather than
a scientific instrument. To calibrate one sounds like a lot of work for a
rather dicey outcome.

/_/
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL
VV-VV

electric fan oven Simon Finnigan UK diy 11 August 23rd 16 02:17 PM
Electric hob and oven GB UK diy 6 January 28th 11 09:07 PM
Will an electric oven fire ruin an oven thermostat. Ricky[_4_] Home Repair 9 January 10th 11 05:26 PM
Electric oven KTECH Home Repair 1 December 13th 05 02:06 AM
Separate electric oven and electric hob Paul Lucas UK diy 2 February 1st 05 12:18 PM