Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default HELP!! Anyone know how to calibrate an electric oven?

On 6/21/2012 3:59 PM, Mr. Frugal wrote:
Before I go any further, I want to thank any and all
who have the answer. Also, I did look through about
2000 headers/subjects and didn't see this question
addressed.

This looks like a place that might be able to help if
you asked them.
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...t-heating.html

I have a 10 year old Jenn-Air (which is a Maytag under
the hood).

Sometimes it's helpful to know if it ever worked right.
Did the error happen all at once, or drift over time?
Has it been serviced before? Wires don't always get put
back correctly.

A missing shield or bent part could be the issue.
If the sensor can "see" the element, it will shut off way
earlier than one that is shielded from the direct infrared.

Model # is - SVE47500W (electric)

I need to know how to calibrate the stupid oven which
is about FIFTY degrees off - to the cool side.

Assumes you are measuring the temperature accurately.

Are you interested in cooking well or are you just ****ed
'cause the readout is wrong. Something as simple as fixing
knob calibration may be an expensive proposition for an otherwise
functional unit.

A sticker that says, "Set temperature 50 degrees higher",
works wonders for solving the problem at low cost.

I've still got the Owner's Manual
I've been to Jenn-Air and Maytag sites
I've even got the wiring diagram.

NOWHERE is calibration mentioned!!!!

***HELP***

Would be interesting to know what percentage of the time,
the service guy knows about calibration and would perform it
as an alternative to charging you $400 for a new control board.

It turns expensive Rib-Eyes into pot roasts.
It turns cookies into mini-frisbees.
It turns me livid when I try to factor the settings
to where it should be - but my temp gauges ALL tell
me that I'm not good at "accounting for" temps.

TIA!